overnight in north Yorkshire near the A1 (1 Viewer)

widowtwanky

Free Member
Oct 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi funsters,
I'm driving up to Scotland for the commonwealth games in July, from London. Having trouble booking a reasonably priced overnight stop, seems very expensive up there.

Do any of you know any little gems that would suit without straying miles n miles from the A1.

Wendy xx

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our favourite, just north of Newcastle so a bit up from your request

Take the airport junction off the A1, A696 go through Ponteland, pub on right in about 3 miles

Waggon Inn or very similar, have a meal and no charge to stop, very friendly, great beer and food

01661 881872, but never been busy when we were there, (3 times now) level car park, they would like you to park far end from pub, but that suits all I think

Dog friendly as well

Then just head north from there leads on to A68, useful link through to Edinburgh

David

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Camping and Caravanning Club Site,
Boroughbridge,
North Yorkshire,
YO51 9LS

Tel 01423 322683

Literally just off the side of the A1.
Never been, but friends of mine go there regularly, so it can't be bad.

OP
OP
widowtwanky

widowtwanky

Free Member
Oct 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks but CCC at boroughbridge want £28 for the night without hook up....... don't mind paying up to £20, just can't understand their pricing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If it's just an overnight "stop and go" why not use the A19 instead of the A1 through N Yorks? It's probably quieter. You can use the Tyne Tunnel and rejoin the A1 North of Newcastle.
More to the point there are a couple of good lay-bys between 5 & 10 miles North of Thirsk. The first (best) one is a big loop of a layby that is well away from the road so traffic noise won't be too bad. There is a permanently sited caravan-type cafe where you can get your breakfast!
It's used by a lot of trucks so don't leave it too late to get parked up or there might not be space. I came past at 8:30 tonight and there was just space for a few more.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
If it's just an overnight "stop and go" why not use the A19 instead of the A1 through N Yorks? It's probably quieter. You can use the Tyne Tunnel and rejoin the A1 North of Newcastle.
More to the point there are a couple of good lay-bys between 5 & 10 miles North of Thirsk. The first (best) one is a big loop of a layby that is well away from the road so traffic noise won't be too bad. There is a permanently sited caravan-type cafe where you can get your breakfast!
It's used by a lot of trucks so don't leave it too late to get parked up or there might not be space. I came past at 8:30 tonight and there was just space for a few more.

I know that lay by, I only live a few miles away from it.
OK if you like the smell of urine every time you open a door or window. :sick:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Scotch Corner campsite is okay - old fashioned but clean. £18 plus £2 refundable key deposit.

The £18 includes EHU. You take the Richmond Road off the A1 and the camp site is just round the corner .... you have to go past and down the dual carriageway a bit then U turn but the U turn is very clearly marked and easy to do. It's great for an overnighter but nothing much in the immediate area - there is a footpath from the back of the site to a pub that does meals but never used the pub so don't know anything about it.

We've used this site twice as it's a good stop for us if we are taking the east coast route - far enough to travel after work but not too far!

No affiliation btw but the people who run the site were asking about FUN as they saw the card and window sticker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
widowtwanky

widowtwanky

Free Member
Oct 19, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks everyone. Yorkshire seems a popular destination this year. I'm booked onto old hall caravan park, just off A1. I want a safe sleep as I will have my dog with me and £18 is a good price to pay x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back