Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Can anybody give us the latest on the overnight parking at Dover. I know that the local Council were out for consulation before going ahead with with their decsion to ban the parking any signs up yet.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I was there a few weeks ago and didn't see any specific signs. Of course it may be different now, you could contact the council and ask
http://www.dover.gov.uk/Transport,-Streets--Parking/Parking/Home.aspx
They may tell you you can park in the day but not at night because " the seafront isn't a campsite" this means there are no signs, so park there.
But, you can park along the seafront between Deal and Walmer, it's much nicer than Dover, and in any of the lay-bys on the roads to Dover where you see lorries parked, assuming you can get in.
A bit further away, but much nicer is the area by the Dover Patrol, Granville Rd, St Margaret's at Cliffe. Lots of foreign vans go there to wait for the ferry. Great views across the channel.
But, by far the best place to stay is at the aire in Canterbury, New Dover Rd. £3 plus free park and ride to Canterbury. It's about 30 minutes from Dover.
Allan

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I spoke to a fellow Funster from Dover a couple of days ago and was told that the council has not as yet prevented Mh parking on the front overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Motorhome and Caravan Parking is permitted on the Esplanade. That is the end of Marine Parade furthest away from the Ferry terminal. There are signs there showing this. The other end of Marine Parade near the Hotel and The Gateway Flats has never been a permitted area. I wrote to the council when the consultation was announced and they confirmed this would remain the same.

The laybys on the A2 approaching or leaving Dover have all been closed off. There is now a sign for lorry parking neat Tesco.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Motorhome and Caravan Parking is permitted on the Esplanade. That is the end of Marine Parade furthest away from the Ferry terminal. There are signs there showing this. The other end of Marine Parade near the Hotel and The Gateway Flats has never been a permitted area. I wrote to the council when the consultation was announced and they confirmed this would remain the same.

The laybys on the A2 approaching or leaving Dover have all been closed off. There is now a sign for lorry parking neat Tesco.
Forget that one the LORRY park is just that, and you would be locked out it is just opposite the Customs compound on the right of the access road. The sea front is still OK but not the Flats area.
I am trying very hard to get a motorhome and maybe caravan park on Northampton Quay beside the A20 but I think my application letter got the round filing cabinet in the corner treatment from DHB.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Give it another try. I wrote to the DHB and they didn't bother to reply to a request about Motorhome Parking.

I also saw a comment on another forum or was it a magazine about an area that was used by the construction team to build the Tunnel. It is apparently standing unused and could make a good Aire. Do you have any info on that.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Information elicited at Peterborough (last w/e) would indicate that as of 6 (ish) weeks ago it was still OK to use certain sections of the Esplanade overnight.? I haven't used it since `03. personally. we used to use a Pub site just outside Dover.

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Give it another try. I wrote to the DHB and they didn't bother to reply to a request about Motorhome Parking.

I also saw a comment on another forum or was it a magazine about an area that was used by the construction team to build the Tunnel. It is apparently standing unused and could make a good Aire. Do you have any info on that.
I have another tack on this via my neighbour who will almost certainly be on the council after the elections. The other site you mentioned is on the Folkestone Road and still belongs to Eurotunnel so fat chance there. I will again try the DHB via the community Director on the board and see if that will work.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't bother, just go over and park on the other side, cite Europe, grave lines, or Calais town, fresh and ready to be off next morning(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back