Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Everyone
We are thinking of going to the NEC tomorrow and Friday can we stay overnight , where and what is the cost?
Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thats the way.. Vote with your feet (well tyres).. (y)
It is stupid really with all that space they have..
I don't think stupid is the right word.
They also have to cater for daytime visitors not just to the Motorhome Show but also to the other events taking place this week.
There is also, presumably, a limit on the number of volunteers the CAMC can call on to steward the temporary site, which would limit its size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I don't think stupid is the right word.
They also have to cater for daytime visitors not just to the Motorhome Show but also to the other events taking place this week.
There is also, presumably, a limit on the number of volunteers the CAMC can call on to steward the temporary site, which would limit its size.

Graham.. I was thinking more of the NEC, allowing vehicles just to stay over and not associated with the CAMC.
ie no facilities.
Would think they could get some extra revenue from it. (y)
They will know what their parking requirements are based on other events that are happening, the one's they use for the day parking must just be left empty at night.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham.. I was thinking more of the NEC, allowing vehicles just to stay over and not associated with the CAMC.
ie no facilities.
Would think they could get some extra revenue from it. (y)
They will know what their parking requirements are based on other events that are happening, the one's they use for the day parking must just be left empty at night.
Problem is that if they did they would need to have a caravan site licence to operate legally.
I realise there are a number of pubs (as mentioned on other NEC threads) that get away with allowing unlicensed camping anyway but if somebody as big as the NEC did it without a licence I think the authorities might start taking action against them.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve just turned up at the temp NEC Site and they have found space for us. Ok it’s £31 a night , but our choice to pay .( and the 6m rule applies) !!!!
The Toby restaurant car park was full last night, so we stayed at the kenilworth rugby club, only 25 mins from the NEC.

OP
OP
dixieland

dixieland

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If I go to the show for two days I do not take up any more room whether I stay over or not. Half the show is for motorhomes which do not need a temporary site or stewarding or a club.
Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If I go to the show for two days I do not take up any more room whether I stay over or not. Half the show is for motorhomes which do not need a temporary site or stewarding or a club.
Jim
NEC still has to comply with the law though.
The event has been advertised for months so plenty of time for anyone wishing to stay overnight to book somewhere to do so.
Presumably you would not complain if you decided to go to an event at the last minute and could not because all the tickets had been sold some time ago.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just get a bit if good quality card and either write " event vehicle " or " doctor on call" on it and just park in the carpark:p

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We’ve just turned up at the temp NEC Site and they have found space for us. Ok it’s £31 a night , but our choice to pay .( and the 6m rule applies) !!!!
The Toby restaurant car park was full last night, so we stayed at the kenilworth rugby club, only 25 mins from the NEC.
I feel a bit o yorkshireman coming on

HOW MUCH!!!!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I feel a bit o yorkshireman coming on

HOW MUCH!!!!!
What's the problem? It's cheap compared to staying in a hotel/B&B, as we did one year.
Setting up a temporary site, including the electricity, water and waste arrangements, doesn't come for free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dixieland

dixieland

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
But I don't want water or waste or electricity and the whole ethos of having a motorhome is so I don't have to book and half the ethos of the show is for motorhomes.
Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But I don't want water or waste or electricity and the whole ethos of having a motorhome is so I don't have to book and half the ethos of the show is for motorhomes.
Jim
You may not want them but many (if not most) of the campers do so they have to be catered for.
Too late this year, of course, but in future it may be worth finding somewhere suitable in plenty of time rather than waiting until everywhere is sold out :)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I wasn’t complaining about paying, it was just a comment, that maybe a little expensive, it was our choice still to stay and pay. And it didn’t include electric, but if we’d wanted to go to the entertainment and eat etc we could have done.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will not be a slave to the dates etc and so will not book. I don't see why it is such a problem to remain parked for the 12 hours between our two 12 hour visits to the show. What is sense in driving 25mins to a site to drive 25minutes back thus adding to traffic?
Jim
Fine if you don't want to "be a slave to dates".
At the same time, organisations like the NEC don't want to be slaves to every individual who wants something different because there is no profit in it. Their show, their rules, accept them or go elsewhere (just like any other business).

As explained above, the NEC would need a site licence to allow general camping.
It has done to death in too many threads over the years but the law is what it is at the moment and organisations like the NEC won't break it because it makes no business sense.
If anyone doesn't like that situation they have every opportunity for constructive lobbying for changes but simply complaining on a forum will get them nowhere.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
the NEC would need a site licence to allow general camping.
...and here lies the problem.. whilst I can see reasons for having such a licence, common sense should prevail.

Staying overnight at locations such as the NEC shouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately we are cursed with rules and regulations that the jobsworths in authority live for.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
...and here lies the problem.. whilst I can see reasons for having such a licence, common sense should prevail.

Staying overnight at locations such as the NEC shouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately we are cursed with rules and regulations that the jobsworths in authority live for.
Utter rot. Common sense is prevailing. The show is advertised months in advance. There is ample time for people wishing to attend the show to make arrangements for accommodation.

The current legislation is the product of an Act which has been revisited and revised several times over the years and has been deemed fit for purpose because nobody has come up with any valid, constructive, reason for anything else.
To say that the current legislation is nothing but "rules and regulations that the jobsworths in authority live for" is nothing but an unwarranted insult.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ah, yes, that old chestnut; choosing the laws you like (and obey) and ignoring those you don’t.

Long live anarchy!

Ian

Reactions: GJH
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As it’s my thread , we tried to book on the ‘temp site’ OUR choice, it was full so we ended up staying at Kenilworth Rugby Club, OUR choice and turned up the next night at the ‘temp site’ stayed and paid out money, again OUR choice.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back