Overnight at Bamburgh (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Chris is only using the SSSI as a means to stop M/H parking in the hope they will use the local campsites. It also seems Chris has gone to ground since his first post.

Dave
[/FONT]

I think Chris has used the SSSI as excuse, and has nothing to do with camp sites..

I think his real fear is that the car park will become a camp ground .. before anyone gets up in arms, this has happened all along the Spanish costas, in Portugal and Morocco.. the police are now stopping it .. they are not wild campers, but free loaders .. they come and stay for months , not overnight.

No one would object if it were only for a night or two, but we all know what happens.. soon it becomes a week , then two with all the issues arising of dumping waste and chemical toilets ..

As already said by Barry, the Solution is to provide a proper aire with facilities and if need be a 48hr limit on stay, (the same rule, which is largely over looked, operates on French aires ) .. ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham,

This from Natural England it is the SSSI notification why it is a SSSI there is no mention of local wildlife only grasses and bugs over night parking will be just the same a day time. The detrimental effect M?H may have on this site at night would be to couples out for a good time in the dunes.(snip)

Thank you Dave. Perhaps I generalised too much in regard to the SSSI.

Could be that Jim has the right idea in thinking the purpose is to stop the car park becoming a camp ground - up to 20 MHs hardly lends attraction to an AONB does it? :Smile:

I certainly go along with Jim when he says
No one would object if it were only for a night or two, but we all know what happens.. soon it becomes a week , then two with all the issues arising of dumping waste and chemical toilets ..

As already said by Barry, the Solution is to provide a proper aire with facilities and if need be a 48hr limit on stay, (the same rule, which is largely over looked, operates on French aires ) .. ..

Graham

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Going back to the original statement from Chris

Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which has on numerous occasions been spoilt by the presence of up to 20 camper vans in this car park.

He seems to imply that all motorhomes parked on the car park are not welcome either by day or night he refers to using the local sites in the area,
For camping that's ok but by fitting height barriers it is totally discriminating against anyone driving a vehicle of a certain height {yet to be determined by the said barriers} from parking.

Obviously in the long term this will have an affect on tourism in the area ,motorhome ownership has vastly increased over the last decade , and to say that u spoil the area by parking your motorhome can only alienate you and dissuade one from visiting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
Bamburgh

There has never been a charge for parking along the Wynding, the main two areas used for parking are quite small and are mainly used short term by locals walking on the beach and by families holidaying during the summer. Up until 3 years ago it was rare to see a camper parked ,then someone posted this area on a motorhome site, I remember reading and commenting that this would be the end of a good wildcamping spot and so it has come to pass.
The people to blame for the present situation are those campers who have kicked the arse out of it by parking en mass for too long a period.
18mths ago a friend of my wife complained to her about not being able to park on The Wynding in order to walk her dog because of the number of vans, so we all get tarred with the same brush.
I would like to see a system of Aire's or Parking Platz's in the UK as any van owner would, however I don't think there is any local authority land available in Bamburgh for such use, other than in the main payment car park which in summer is always full. Most of the smaller tourist hot spots, would have similar problems.
There are always two sides to a story and what the motorhomer wants or thinks is fair isn't necessarily the same as the local. who see's only an infringement on his/hers normal way of life.
If I decided to wildcamp, say in Jesmond or Gosforth (Newcastle) legaly, just far enough from a junction as to cause a lengthy wait for comuters, there would be complaints.
I have wildcamped a lot in the last few years and have noticed year on year more restrictions being applied, height gates Porto Covo, large restriction signs at Manta Rota.
St Jean Pied Port, all of the car parks prohibiting motorhomes. The only parking area being the Aire at the sports hall.
These restrictions are there because local (tax payers) lives are being affected.
The argument of, we bring in cash to the local economy is largely a self perpituated myth. Most motohomers add little to the economy of area, as they are, as stated (self contained) how much do a couple spend in Lidl?.
Maybe the next time you park-up on what seems a good freebe you should consider the impact on the local enviroment and people, because to ignore it will only bring down more restrictions. As for France being the saviour of all motorhomers, see what happens over the next few years.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As for France being the saviour of all motorhomers, see what happens over the next few years.

No need to wait,

On the Quiberon peninsula there is a good aire and a cheap municipal site, but due to campers who don't want to pay a few euro the council have erected height barriers on all the free car parking spots along the coast ..

So even when there is a proper facility some want to camp for free ...then have the cheek to use the aire facilities without paying.

From what I've witnessed, both here and abroad, free loading motorhomers are the cause of all the bad press and are their own worst enemy ..

I stress, this is not a pop at the true wild camper who is a victim not a perpetrator.

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Spongebobsdad,
(Obviously in the long term this will have an affect on tourism in the area ,motorhome ownership has vastly increased over the last decade , and to say that u spoil the area by parking your motorhome can only alienate you and dissuade one from visiting).

Two poeple in a motorhome = 2 carloads of 4, who do 'they' want?.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I think us m/homers need to be aware of the views of others. I said once before in relation to seafront overnighting that many seafront house owners have paid a lot of money for their houses partly due to the location and view. So I think they a right to that view rather than looking out at a row of m/homes. I am a wildlife nut and I don't think that overnighting on an SSSI should be allowed. Protecting an SSSI is not putting wildlife before people, it is protecting said wildlife for the benefit of future generations of people. So please remember that not everyone is a m/homer and they have rights too. :Smile:

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I'm intrigued as to the professional status of Chrisatthecastle. He certainly hasn't reappeared on the site nor has he answered my question as to the height of the barriers. We have no idea on whose behalf he is speaking.
Lala

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm intrigued as to the professional status of Chrisatthecastle. He certainly hasn't reappeared on the site nor has he answered my question as to the height of the barriers. We have no idea on whose behalf he is speaking.
Lala

From the post we don't even know Chris's gender - though it is amusing to see that a number of people have assumed "he" and none "she" :Smile:

However, a simple Google search for Bamburgh Castle identifies their web site at http://bamburghcastle.com/index.php and that identifies the Director as a Chris Calvert. It is, therefore, reasonable to assume that is who Chrisatthecastle is.

Graham

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
It seems to me that you are missing the point. Chris he she or whoever has at least had the decency to explain the situation, which could save members travelling in the expectation of an overnight stay. What else matters, I can nip over and let you know the barrier hight if needed.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
does this mean if you want to visit the area you cannot use any carparks during the daytime due to height barriers, if it does then people will not be stopping on local sites with motorhomes well I will not anyway as I love this area but need to park somewhere during the daytime

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I don't hink the Main Carpark at the base of the castle has a height barrier otherwise it would debar coach access and the carpark areas in the dunes on the road to Seahouses didn't seem to have any barriers, so there are still options to pay for parking ::bigsmile:

Chrisatthecastle

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Funster No
Bamburg Parking

Hi,

Beginning to feel I should have kept my head down, but then honesty is always the best policy. I'll answer the questions.

1. I am a he and these car parks fall in my remit as Castle Director.
2. I know about this because I use a google feature that tells me everytime
Bamburgh is mentioned anywhere on the world web wide and I read every one.
3. There are still some places for parking on the Wyndings road, there is also a large
council run carpark by the main road below the castle (Also used by 'wild' campers)
There is parking in the castle car park and there is parking with public loos at the
links about 1 mile outside Bamburgh, great for the beach.
4. The barriers will be 6' 11" (2.1m) tall and yes we did have to get planning
permission and they will be removed between November and February.
5. I am not asking for money nor directing people to anywhere that we own that takes
money (Sorry not true we own the castle car park £2 for the day a car park that we
have just resurfaced and created space in for motorhomes)
6. I will not lose business as the motorhome owners that visit the castle drive up here
and take advantage of the spectacular views.
7. My memories of France as a camper van owner 20 years ago are not good and
nowadays they are set up very well with parking and sites to dipose of waste.
8. You can wild camp in a field at Budle Bay for £7 a night with great views out over
the bay towards Lindisfarne, surely that won't break the bank.

I thank those that have supported me and admit that it is once again the few who have spoilt it for the many and that it was probably not anyone on this forum.

There are incidently two camper vans up at the castle today and I have taken the time to speak to the oocupants of both. They are very happy that they can park up at the castle for the day.

Regards

Chris

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Hi,
Cpastal Area of Outstnading Natural Beauty which has on numerous occasions been spoilt by the presence of up to 20 camper vans

Remarkable how motorhomes spoil the view when parking free of charge, but a pay and display ticket on the windscreen transforms their appearance :RollEyes:

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Chris
Thank you for taking the time and informing us about parking in the Bamburgh area . On reading the various posts about the subject i now realise that the problems created by people in motorhomes camping Illegally on mass on the said car parks was not acceptable My only concern was for the daytime parking of motorhomes and not being classed as an eye sore. reading your post has now enlightened me that parking for motorhomes and camper vans is well catered for.:thumb::thumb:

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thank you Chris for posting more information and for explaining your interest in the matter,
Violet

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
looking to go to France about the 8th of August then back on the 27th of august.Stopping on Aires most of the time and hope to see a bit of Provance:Smile::Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Yes thanks Chris a lot of people wouldnt have bothered. Its great that you have also pointed out what is available as well.

Its a pity that some people have to spoil it. I would never join a throng of 20 motorhomes as its just asking for trouble. 2 or 3 is ok but any more just attracts attention.

Regards
Barry

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I was up at B*mb#gh today to take some photos of the castle etc.
A sea fret put paid to the photography :RollEyes:
I did notice that the previously mentioned Height Barriers were now well & truely in place with a 6.5 ft restriction.
Hasnt stopped the Cr*p being left on the dunes though, still plenty of dog poo bags (Filled & sealed) and picnic rubbish.:Angry:

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 23

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Bamburgh parking ,Not sure about this

I have stopped a couple of times in these car parks and overnighted on occasions,a truly wonderful,wonderful area,. I love this stretch of coast line very much and I am very sorry if I offended Chris or anyone of the locals by wanting to take in and share a little of the beauty they wake up to every day. I am honestly so sad I have now been stopped staying on occasions in such a wonderful location.

The reason we stopped here was it was so rural ,beautiful ,unrestricted,pleasant and totally relaxing and there were no notices telling me it wasn’t allowed. Nothing to do with it being free ,it was 40 mins drive from my home in Co Durham .

We visited the castle on each occasion and noticed its newly tarmacked coach park,but I suppose this area of the castle grounds isn’t in an area of scientific interest ? .

We always ate in the local pubs and visited other local places too and always ended up chatting to the locals,and walkers . Who by the way never mentioned or objected to us staying there, we always mentioned to them what a wonderful place it was to visit and how much we loved being here they always agreed.

I can also honestly say I have never ever seen up to 20 motor-homes on this site ever. And I have been coming here for years before I got my van,probably before the current mangment were even here ,the most seen was about 5 over two car park sites.! But to be fair I don’t go there every day.

I have however seen 100's and 100's of cars,motorcyles van etc coming and going ,plus people here having barbecues on a night ,and basically enjoying their selves.

So can somebody please explain to me why in an area of scientific interest why my motorhome causes more damage than other vehicles and should be banned and refused entry?

Or is it something that happens overnight that causes problems to the wild life,or do motorhomes effect the landscape in some way I don’t know about ? In fact I believe it the opositte ,I have spent hundreds of pounds going green,installing solar panels etc. and reducing my carbon footprint,And I can honestly say I have never left a scrap of rubbish or waste on any site I visit or indeed never seen any type of rubbish being left behind by a Motorhome owner..

Putting hight restriction barriers in place in reality only restricts motorhomes from entering and is blatant discrimination to us as road tax payers and as far as I am aware discrimination any kind in the UK is against the law.

To stop any law abiding tax paying person visiting or enjoying this fantastic stretch of coast line or any area of our country in my opinion is criminal . Bamburgh Council and the castle management should honestly be ashamed of themselves after all it is only the opinion of a member of the castle management that have done this . The management of the castle obversely are of the opinion we are a problem and have brought pressure on the planning office to allow these alterations to take place .

Maybe we should try to persuade the same they are wrong in their opinion and object to the council and to urge the planning department to reverse their decision,or at least ask for a full explanation why the decision was taken to ban us from this area. After all its our country and our coastline and at the end of the day our heritage too.

Alan

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back