Overloaded bike rack damage (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Discussing possible e bikes on another thread, there’s a few posters cautioning against the potential damage that might result from an overloaded bike carrier mounted on my rear wall of a coach built. A quick search shows it been discussed before on threads both here and on other forums. The 60kg limit seems very debatable.

I’m loathe to fit a new tow bar mounted carrier for two ebikes at around 46kgs or clutter up the garage with folding ones,(or buy a new motorhome with a bigger garage) so I’ve searched the internet for photos or links to evidence of damage such as rear walls being pulled off going over bumps etc, but can find little about it.

Is there any real evidence of this or am I just sh!t at searching the Internet. Is it a myth like gassing, or have people sustained real damage from the forces exerted. Would like to make a decision on this.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know someone who bent the rear door of their PVC when they went over an unseen sleeping policeman at speed. Their bikes were on a mount fixed to one of the doors so it does happen. I think in normal use there won't be a problem but it just depends if you feel you will always see a sleeping policeman or big potholes. :) If you plan on driving at night then the risk will be much higher as not all hazards are well marked. :) We have a storage box on our bike rack mounted at the back of our PVC and I've done about 35,000 miles with it now and not had any mishaps - and it must be loaded to something very close to the limit for the rack.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I know someone who bent the rear door of their PVC when they went over an unseen sleeping policeman at speed. Their bikes were on a mount fixed to one of the doors so it does happen. I think in normal use there won't be a problem but it just depends if you feel you will always see a sleeping policeman or big potholes. :) If you plan on driving at night then the risk will be much higher as not all hazards are well marked. :) We have a storage box on our bike rack mounted at the back of our PVC and I've done about 35,000 miles with it now and not had any mishaps - and it must be loaded to something very close to the limit for the rack.
Maybe wrong but probably more chance of problems mounted on the door of a van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have personally seen several vans where the bolts holding the rear cycle rack have been pulled into the inner face of the wall and damp has then got in rotting the wall and floor

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I seem to recall Chris having a loaded bike rack snap

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I know someone whose Eldiss rear end was badly damaged by carrying e-bikes,but I don’t know what they weighed.
I had the same dilemma myself,until Mrs P announced that she wasn’t going to ride a bike any more!
I now have the option of either leaving her at the van when I go off biking,or maybe getting a scooter that takes two.........but then I’d need a van with a bigger garage or a trailer.
Erm..............I think I’ll just go biking on my own (ouch!), .....only joking dearest!:D2:LOL::LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I seem to recall Chris having a loaded bike rack snap

It didn’t actually snap, but it started pulling away from the van half way across Spain.

It could have been quite nasty if I hadn’t by chance checked over the rack during a stop.

It was 2 adult and 2 children’s bikes but within the weight tolerance ( I think).

We had it put back on with bigger brackets and had no problems after that.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I assume the 60kg limit is what the rack can handle, not what the rear wall of the MoHo can take?

In regards to what the rear wall can take that depends on how the weight is attached. If it is direct to the structure of the wall or just through at any point. The size of the inner weight spreading plates will also be a consideration between big enough to take weight but small enough to be cosmetically ok.

For me, I hate bike racks, the idea of assisting someone to climb on my roof to gain access, the difficulty cleaning around them, the idea of making my MoHo even longer, theft of bikes, damage to bikes from elements, damage to bikes from locks, and possible water ingress issues. So I removed rack from mine.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think they were carrying electric bikes. Bike racks are only made for push bikes -IMO.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When I fitted our bike rack (2 Ebikes) I emailed Burstner and they sent me a drawing of where the reinforcement was in the back wall for the strongest fixing, that and decent sized spreader plates and positioning the bikes as close in as possible without touching the back, have seen no problem after 5 years of touring.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I had a rear wall mounted rack but it was too high to lift the bikes with comfort, the tried a tow bar Thule rack , worked ok but I there was flexing with 2 e bikes . The we fitted a
Memo Chassis mounted scooted / cycle rack. It does increase the length but it is not a problem on the Tunnel , we take two bikes or one scooter and one bike. Problem Sorted.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If it’s fixed properly and you don’t exceed the rack weight allowance then it should not be a problem.
A few years ago I had a bike rack fixed to the rear wall of a Swift caravan, this was only fixed with coach bolts into the timber, not all the way through to the inside.
Did the trip to Spain and back three times without any problem.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
The rear mounted bike rack on our Rollerteam is supposed to have a static weight limit capacity of 75 kg but the dynamic weight loading will be much higher over bumps, and one of the rear mounts is very close to the rear bathroom window, if it was a solid rear panel, I would feel better about it, so as it's also mounted quite high, I decided to remove it fit a towbar and use a towbar carrier, much easier to lift 2 E-bikes onto.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that

We have a Fiamma rack on the rear door of our PVC. Even if you don't exceed the recommended weight limit of the rack, going over a ramp or pothole can momentarily increase the load massively. It flexed a bit too much for my liking, so we tend to take just lightweight road bikes on it now rather than the heavier hybrids we previously carried.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have had two heavy bikes on the rack of my two pvc s (not 2 at the same time) for over 5 years,,never had a problem.BUSBY.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The rear mounted bike rack on our Rollerteam is supposed to have a static weight limit capacity of 75 kg but the dynamic weight loading will be much higher over bumps, and one of the rear mounts is very close to the rear bathroom window, if it was a solid rear panel, I would feel better about it, so as it's also mounted quite high, I decided to remove it fit a towbar and use a towbar carrier, much easier to lift 2 E-bikes onto.

We've put an ultra box 500 on ours...

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I think they were carrying electric bikes. Bike racks are only made for push bikes -IMO.
We carried 2 x electric bikes on a Fiamma bike rack that had a 60kg weight limit for 4 years all over Europe without any issues at all (45kg, took the batteries off). Back of a Hymer B544 A class. So providing the rack has been installed correctly there is from our experience no problem providing you are within the weight criteria of the rack as it factors in the dynamic weight rather than a static weight.

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
This company does a proper rack for carrying eBikes. We looked at a Ducato PVC fitted with one, very impressive! ??

https://www.frankana.de/en/

Mick
Hi Mick, are you referring to the EUROCARRY E-BIKE CARRIER out of interest.

I am weighing up the pros and cons of door mounted Fiamma vs bumper swing out carrier like this eurocarry or the Vanstar Memo, so would be interested to hear what you thought of the Eurocarry.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Mick, are you referring to the EUROCARRY E-BIKE CARRIER out of interest.

No, it's this one below. It was a serious bit of kit which attached via the four door hinges on the rear of the Ducato and could swing out to gain access as well as raise and lower, electrically!

<Broken link removed>

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back