OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My old apache (1990 Mercedes 208D) Is having some terrible troubles with the heat here in Portugal. As it gets hotter there is a loud grinding/scraping horrible noise starts coming from somewhere on the drive train. Once it is cooled it runs smooth again. Anyone have any ideas what this might be. We spent hours sitting on the hard shoulders of motorways today as the engine got hotter and hotter climbing hills in the hot sunshine. It was a real struggle today! I have had to climb hills in 3rd gear at half revs as going up any faster or revving any higher has caused it to overheat and the noise is so scary!!!

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Could be binding brakes. Have you tried rolling with the engine off and the vehicle out of gear?

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
Hi check out your cooling fan on engine its a viscous type which only drives when hot it will spin freely when it's cool with a slight drag but smoothly no cluncts , when hot oil in unit will drive fan if it's worn out it will sound like a bag of nails olso fan will usually only work when engine needs it is up hills not on the flat even when the weather is hot
Hope this is of some help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Could be timing chain or tensioner? If the oil gets too hot the oil pressure will drop and the tensioner moves away from the chain and causes a slapping sound, check oil level and if needed fill up with a heavier grade of oil,

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks guys! :)

We have been camped up over night and everything is cold again now. I am going to over the van with a fine tooth bomb and see if I can spot anything. Will test the fan and look at the tensioner on the timing chain etc as suggested.

I'm sure it isn't the breaks as it only happens when we are climbing hills in the hot weather. This is something we are going to have to avoid from now on. We will plan our journeys around weather reports, or drive early mornings or late evening etc only. Portugal won't get any less hilly, and it will only get warmer as we progress south!!!

Very worrying. Got no sleep at all last night this just playing on my mind!!!! We are soooo far from home and don't speak a word of the language!!!

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE DIFF OIL?

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Could be propshaft bearing especially with the heat off the roads then when it cools it would be ok worth a look

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
too keep it cooler going uphill i would suggest turning on the heater and fan,deflect the warm air where its most comfortable and open the windows?

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
For peace of mind and to prevent any serious damage it may well be worth your time taking it in to a mechanic and have them give it a check over and a test drive

There's so many things that could be the problem .....you only have to see how many has been suggested here.

If you have poor mechanical knowledge and it's worrying you ....that's the best course of action

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tambo is right.

Sounds like a problem that could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere - I wouldn't travel very far until it's sorted.

If a bearing has gone it will create heat as well as noise - oils seals will fail or grease in bearings will melt - then it will fail completely

I would:
Check for play in water pump, alternator, loose fan belt
Take off the hub caps to check the wheel bearings - first sign would be melted grease - check the wheel that the tyre failed on in particular
Get under the van, check rear axle bearings - oil on inside of rear tyres - leaks from axle itself - propshaft - oil from rear of gearbox
Unlikely - but I would also check exhaust mounts - a loose exhaust - or loose baffles in a silencer - can make some strange noises
If I could not see any problem I might travel to the nearest town - carefully and seek help from a garage
I assume you have breakdown cover - ring the them - they would rather help than have to ship you back to the UK

Make sure you have food, water, gas and your phone charged - if you do get stranded at least it should be manageable

Keep us updated - if we can help we will - but it is difficult sorting mechanical problems over the internet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Good advice from all above.. But DONT just drive on and hope.. It could be dangerous mate.. The viscous fan sounds a good first thing to check, if it does seize it will "let go" and go through the radiator, so do get these things checked asap at a reasonably good looking garage.... Good luck.. Mitch..

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE DIFF OIL?

GEARBOX OIL ?

WHEEL BEARING ?

Had the diff anf gearbox oil replaced a couple of months ago before we set out. Should be OK, but don't know how to check any of this.

Could be propshaft bearing especially with the heat off the roads then when it cools it would be ok worth a look

I thought this too. The 'boot' over the shaft bearing is missing. There are two prop shafts, a short one from the gear box leading to a joint, then a longer one to the rear diff. I think it the join between the two that I suspect! No visual problems there though, no signs of wear or tear.

too keep it cooler going uphill i would suggest turning on the heater and fan,deflect the warm air where its most comfortable and open the windows?

Great idea! Hadn't thought of that! Will try it next time we are out.

Sorry Barclaybasher forgot to quote your post. Thanks - I will check out as many of those things as I can!

We are in Figueiró dos Vinhos, very central. I am camping at a great little site run by an English couple. Getting lots of help and advice from them. I will have the van booked in to the local mechanics as soon as I can.

We drove it down to town today and back and had no problems, but it does get hot quick on the hills still. The fan is running normally, it is always on if the engine is running as far as I can tell. It turns smoothly with only a little friction when the engine is cold. Oil and coolant are both fine.

2 months ago before we left the UK we had a full service and MOT. All oils and liquids. Checked all the breaks and disks out, basically everything we could think of to check before going on a long journey.

I think it might be either prop shafts or gear box. I can't find a dip stick for the gear box oil though?

Also - this is not a chain driven engine like some have said. It is the Mercedes 208D with the 601 engine. It has the "poly v-belt" according to the book, and I have checked it out and it looks to be in good order, but I can only see a little bit of it from under the van.

Thanks everyone! :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Glad you are OK and maybe getting things sorted.

I don't know your base vehicle but most gearboxes and axles do not have dipsticks, you normally fill through the side until the oil overflows out the same hole.

Keep us updated (y)(y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Viscous fan's suffer badly with age. We had exactly the same thing with a Jeep Cherokee. At your first real opportunity, get the damned thing off and into the nearest skip, and replace with a pair of Kenlowe fans. You get a complete kit, ready to fit for your model. Ring them if you cant see yours. (y)(y)

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Viscous fan's suffer badly with age. We had exactly the same thing with a Jeep Cherokee. At your first real opportunity, get the damned thing off and into the nearest skip, and replace with a pair of Kenlowe fans. You get a complete kit, ready to fit for your model. Ring them if you cant see yours. (y)(y)

Broken Link Removed

Thanks Tootles - probly won't be back in the UK for a month or two yet. Will get her into the nearest decent mechanic as soon as I can and get the fan and everything else looked at.

Will post an update once I have some progress.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
theres a good mechanic in Fig, at the garage opposite the internet cafe, he fixed my disco a couple of years back and was cheap,

are you house hunting by any chance,??

Alan +Diane

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
theres a good mechanic in Fig, at the garage opposite the internet cafe, he fixed my disco a couple of years back and was cheap,

are you house hunting by any chance,??

Alan +Diane

Hi!

Yes we are house hunting. Have a lot to look at - currently focusing on the Miranda Do Corvo area. Love it there.

We have just looked at a couple in Figueiró dos Vinhos but nothing too exciting yet.

We will be in the Miranda Do Corvo aire in a few days time for a few days while the agent drives us around the properties we have shortlisted! :)

By Fig do you mean Figueiró dos Vinhos lol? I saw a garage there when we drove though yesterday. Not sure where the internet cafe is though? It is on a cross roads as you drive in to town???

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
one thing to look out for is heat, a dodgy bearing will get hot, you say a shoud is missing from a prop shaft, well the grease will be missing as well to me it seems the obvious place to start. Heater/blower on full blast will help cool the engine, make sure rad is not blocked maybe fit a larger one or additional fan. wheels will get hot if a brake is binding or bearing shot, a quick touch to prevent getting burnt will maybe find it. oil seals on a vehicle of that age are prone to fail especially if it has just sat around most of its life. Double check fluid levels every day.
Was the brake fluid completely changed or just topped up. It does not last forever, rubber hoses to the brakes fail on the inside where you cannot see and cause brakes to bind, again the wheel hub will get hot. Good luck with the house hunting and I hope you get the bus sorted soon. Whatever happens don't just plod on. Park up until it's sorted. Good luck mate.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well...

I asked where in Portugal you are but did not get a direct answer.

The thing is I know of very reasonable garages but...

Maybe you have sorted it already...

JJ
Then again maybe he is too busy househunting to check the replies too often.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well...

I asked where in Portugal you are but did not get a direct answer.

The thing is I know of very reasonable garages but...

Maybe you have sorted it already...

JJ
Then again maybe he is too busy househunting to check the replies too often.
Actually I did answer but you may have missed it as I was answering several replies in a single post.

We are in Figuero Dos Vinhos soon to be in Miranda Do Corvo (May not have speld all thouse correctly!)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
sent you a pm (conversation)

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Problem found - but not related to the overheating and the noise, at least I think not.

As it is rather technical I will post a new thread about it on the tech/mech board, along with some photo's! :)

Thanks everyone for all your help so far!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The viscous fan on those old Merc diesels is prone to failure. Also the temp gauge gives true temp readings, unlike many modern engines that the gauge only moves with large temp changes, the older Merc gauges show actual readings. As long as its not throwing water out, it should be OK. When hill climbing, do not let the engine labour, change down earlier than you would with a modern engine. If its an auto, use the kickdown when on long hill climbs.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Also - this is not a chain driven engine like some have said. It is the Mercedes 208D with the 601 engine. It has the "poly v-belt" according to the book, and I have checked it out and it looks to be in good order, but I can only see a little bit of it from under the van.

Thanks everyone! :)
Poly-V refers to the external belt driving the alternator, PAS pump, water pump, etc. recognisable as having multiple 'V' groves on the driving face. It isn't a timing belt & therefore it isn't the camshaft drive.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The viscous fan on those old Merc diesels is prone to failure. Also the temp gauge gives true temp readings, unlike many modern engines that the gauge only moves with large temp changes, the older Merc gauges show actual readings. As long as its not throwing water out, it should be OK. When hill climbing, do not let the engine labour, change down earlier than you would with a modern engine. If its an auto, use the kickdown when on long hill climbs.

I think the fan is working - although it may be week. When cold it turns with only a little resistance. When hot is turns easily with no resistance almost. It appears to be spinning pretty quickly whenever the engine is turned on, certainly makes quite a breeze!

Thanks for the advice on hill climbing. I think I may not have been changing down soon enough.

I have taken to ust slowing down and driving up steeper hills in third, this way I can run at half revs and not keep the engine at 100%. Not sure if this helps, but it feels safer and seems to stress the engine less?

Poly-V refers to the external belt driving the alternator, PAS pump, water pump, etc. recognisable as having multiple 'V' groves on the driving face. It isn't a timing belt & therefore it isn't the camshaft drive.

Ahh! I had wondered about this. Everyone tells me it is chain driven, and yet here is this belt! lol Thanks for the explanation!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think the fan is working - although it may be week. When cold it turns with only a little resistance. When hot is turns easily with no resistance almost. It appears to be spinning pretty quickly whenever the engine is turned on, certainly makes quite a breeze!

Thanks for the advice on hill climbing. I think I may not have been changing down soon enough.

I have taken to ust slowing down and driving up steeper hills in third, this way I can run at half revs and not keep the engine at 100%. Not sure if this helps, but it feels safer and seems to stress the engine less?

Ahh! I had wondered about this. Everyone tells me it is chain driven, and yet here is this belt! lol Thanks for the explanation!
try downloading the service/repair manual from my dropbox account, as it will help you
https://www.dropbox.com/s/grfvdred22pbytc/Mercedes-207-208-210-307-308-310-408-410D.pdf?dl=0

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
try a good radiator and engine flush if it's anold van you would be surprised at the amount of crud that builds up in there , i only use distiled water in mine it reduces the limescale build up . ;););)STAN

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back