Overcab bed modification - possible? (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi all

Is it possible to alter the drop down bed mechanism, or replace it, to allow the bed to come down further. There is room underneath, but at the moment it needs a ladder. I find it very claustrophobic and I am sleeping on the sofa, which seems a waste. It is a Pilote Cityvan, and the bed is longitudinal, which is brilliant for not disturbing the other person in the night. If it just dropped another 6 - 12 inches it would be perfect:)

I think the idea is a bit out of left field, but no harm in asking the question?

TIA

Karern

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Like most things probably, anything is possible , its the cost tho .
Is it pivoted at one end or drops parallel with side supports ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably not, there is normally reinforcing in the walls where the arms are mounted and changing to another mechanism such as one from a Hymer which come down quite low the mounting would be in a different place. Also how far is the bed from the screen as to achive a lower bed the way they canterlever down the bed would need to go further forward. When Hymer desgined their vans with a lower bed they completely redesigned the front end of the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the interesting responses. It drops parallel with side supports. So I might need to go to a dealers and take sneaky measurements. The Burstner IXEO is also longitudinal, but electric, so that would be a different system I am guessing.
I didn't realise that Hymer had to redesign their van. There is more to it than you think.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There must be a reason why the designer decided to only drop the bed as far as they did. If you can determine what the limitation was you will begin to understand the difficulties of dropping it further.

I’m sure it could be dropped lower, but I think that changing the van may be more practical.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its possible you could use a drop plate from the original mountings in much the same way a tow bar is dropped but would you still have clearance when its up?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Would putting a rooflight over the bed reduce the feeling of claustrophobic?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thanks for the interesting responses. It drops parallel with side supports. So I might need to go to a dealers and take sneaky measurements. The Burstner IXEO is also longitudinal, but electric, so that would be a different system I am guessing.
I didn't realise that Hymer had to redesign their van. There is more to it than you think.
We have the Ixeo with the longitude bed, it has 2 vertical runners at the front (nearest seats) that are recessed into the wall mainly for guiding the bed down straight (not a structural fixing) with straps and at the end of the bed two straps (seat belt type) driven by a motor onto a spindle nothing complicated and am sure it could be done
If you want any pics let me know

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
The Ixeo does look lovely. I need a narrow bodied van, because my parking space is narrow, and i like being able to go anywhere, with confidence. Unfortunately, i think the IXEO is out of my budget.

I don't think a rooflight will help, as I go to sleep OK but wake up in a panic.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Update

I rang Hayes, who are the main dealers for Pilote. Unfortunately, the mechanism cannot be altered. It would affect the gas struts, and everything else.

Thanks for all the input.

Karen

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What a shame! I suffer from claustrophobia and feel for you. We looked at a couple of vehicles with lovely end lounges but I just wasn't going to risk not being able to sleep up top.

Is it worth contacting the manufacturers direct?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Update

I rang Hayes, who are the main dealers for Pilote. Unfortunately, the mechanism cannot be altered. It would affect the gas struts, and everything else.

Thanks for all the input.

Karen

Whenever someone has said to me, "It cannot be done", I have thought "No, you don't know how..."
In fairness to Hayes, they should've said "Too impractical," ideally with an explanation.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I think that is more or less what they said, I may have paraphrased. But I can understand it, the space is tight, because it has to come down and then extend 6" into the lounge, avoiding the cupboards on it's way.
I bet it could be done, but I need someone with skills, and knowhow,and the ability to make metal parts. The brackets can't be dropped down from the roof, because there would not be enough clearance to drive the van! Maybe it could be suspended on chains, and winched up out of the way. I could have a rocking bed then!!

I would still like a look at the IXEO, to see how they have done it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I thought that some kind of winch might be the answer but you'd need to stop the bed from swinging about (as you get into it, for example) for the sake of the windows and furniture around. It occurred to me that you could also accommodate slopes by adjusting the corners a bit. It's only when I lie down that I notice if we're not level.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I thought that some kind of winch might be the answer but you'd need to stop the bed from swinging about (as you get into it, for example) for the sake of the windows and furniture around. It occurred to me that you could also accommodate slopes by adjusting the corners a bit. It's only when I lie down that I notice if we're not level.

Well, it is already set up with a seat belt catch to hold up the netting so kids can't fall out, so that would be a start!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back