Over-wintering damp worry.... (1 Viewer)

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
I'm not sure if I'm worrying unnecessarily, but I'm concerned about damp in the motorhome over the coming winter. It's been pretty darn nippy lately, and when I checked this weekend there was a fair degree of condensation inside.

I intend to take it out for a run every other weekend to keep things running, but now am wondering if any of you have tips n tricks to help? Would a dehumidifier and an oil-filled radiator help?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Buy a damp meter - check regulary

Open a window/vent on nice days

Not sure why your getting a fair amount of condensation but neither of ours have during the winter

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lots of threads about this subject, including an article in Resources.

Different people have different opinions but the majority seem to agree on adequate ventilation; you don't have to leave windows, vents etc. open but ensure nothing is blocked off. Personally I don't bother with heating, IMO it can make matters worse. Dehumidifiers? Well okay, but I think in a well ventilated van all you are doing is dehumidifying the general atmosphere. Leave lockers and internal doors open to help circulation and a run every couple of weeks doesn't hurt and will actually benefit the rest of the van, charging battery, preventing "square" wheels etc.

If you think the condensation is excessive get yourself a damp meter and have a check round in case it is damp drying out. Has been known.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As Terry said, keep it cold and well ventilated. Warm air carries more moisture than cold air. Open cupboards and drawers, move soft furnishings away from the outside walls of the Moho. Drain down all fluids, remove bottled water.
If your taking your Moho for a run wrap up well, coat, hat, gloves and don't put the heater on at all (warm moist air). There's thousands and thousands of Moho's on forcorts and in storage without heating or ventilation and they are fine. A snuff dry van will stand there cold and ventilated all winter just fine (y)

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
As @TerryL says, ventilation seems to be the answer. Plenty of info on the forum about this problem.

I'm wondering why you have condensation though. Firstly, check the simple things. Make sure that you haven't got anything wet in the van. Things like wet rags, damp towels or clothes or a wet face flannel can all be culprits.

Here's a brief list of what I do though I'm no expert.( my van's in storage, away from home).

• I purge all systems of water and open the dump valve
  • Empty the waste and fresh water tanks
  • Ensure that the sink and basin plugs are in
  • Up-turn the settee squabs and cushions
  • Up-turn the bed (fixed bed)
  • Open all cupboards and wardrobe
  • Leave loo door open
  • I don't pull the blackout blind across the large Hekki rooflight ( as it lets a bit of warm sunlight in)
  • Remove and store the toilet cassette elsewhere
  • Put a couple of trays of absorbent cat litter on the floor

This is not an exhaustive list, but you get the gist. Seems to work for me. In fact, I've just done the above and more this past weekend.

In addition, I give the van a run periodically.

Hope this helps?

James

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Taking the van for a run will not reduce condensation, but might keep the mechanics better lubricated.
I've had boats that I've overwintered and found that ventilation is key. Remove clothing, bedding, towels and anything that might harbour moisture. Upturn the cushions, if you cannot store them at home, and close curtains where there are any. Open cupboards, including the fridge, to encourage good circulation all over. I never messed with salt, dehumidifiers (they need to be emptied) or crystals because I thought they have little chance of collecting all the moisture that will be passing through.
Ventilation is key. You won't seal the van to stop damp air coming in, so make sure it can get out just as easily. Open a central top vent just a crack. If the van is the same temperature as the outside, there won't be a colder surface to encourage condensation on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David M Franks

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
Really appreciate all your replies. Many many thanks.
Seems that I've learned a lot - I hadn't realised that ventilation was so vital. In fact I'd closed all the roof vents cos I was worried about mice nesting after a previous delve in here.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Bedding and cushions which absorb some salt from our summer bodies, can be prone to attract damp in the winter months. You can either remove these items to somewhere warm in your house or keep the van warm in the winter. I tend to do both when it gets really cold by leaving a cheap oil filled radiator running in the van and putting the soft furnishings in a spare bedroom.
As Wingman says, I drain all and any water from the van, leaving no possibility for freezing water to cause damage.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Really appreciate all your replies. Many many thanks.
Seems that I've learned a lot - I hadn't realised that ventilation was so vital. In fact I'd closed all the roof vents cos I was worried about mice nesting after a previous delve in here.
I think that most vents still allow a bit of ventilation, even when closed. I prefer to open them a crack, to encourage more but not enough for rain to enter.
I'm not aware of mice that enter through skylights ~ unless ropes are provided!
To keep vermin away, remove all things that are edible or smell nice. I've heard a suggestion that they can be attracted by toothpaste!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We try to use our van very regularly in winter so don’t remove cushions and bedding but do empty tanks both fresh and waste and the boiler incase it’s drops below freezing.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The force of freezing water is remarkable, as is the price of the things that it could damage. A small crack is likely to go unnoticed until you switch the pump back on. The consequence could be much more than the inconvenience of a mopping-up and replacement exercise, the labour involved could become considerable if it's in an inaccessible location.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As @TerryL says, ventilation seems to be the answer. Plenty of info on the forum about this problem.

Here's a brief list of what I do though I'm no expert.( my van's in storage, away from home).
I purge all systems of water and open the dump valve
  • Empty the waste and fresh water tanks
  • Ensure that the sink and basin plugs are in
  • Up-turn the settee squabs and cushions
  • Up-turn the bed (fixed bed)
  • Open all cupboards and wardrobe
  • Leave loo door open
  • I don't pull the blackout blind across the large Hekki rooflight ( as it lets a bit of warm sunlight in)
  • Remove and store the toilet cassette elsewhere
  • Put a couple of trays of absorbent cat litter on the floor

This is not an exhaustive list, but you get the gist. Seems to work for me. In fact, I've just done the above and more this past weekend.

In addition, I give the van a run periodically.

Hope this helps?

James
Wouldn't it be safer just to lock the cat flap....:)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Condensation on particular internal fittings occurs when a part of the fabric of the van doesn't warm up, or cool down as fast as other parts during conditions of high humidity. Ventilation helps but doesn't entirely prevent it happening. The one certain preventative measure that always works is to maintain an internal temperature above the dew point. I have a 600W heater with its own frost-stat set at very approximately 5 degrees C that appears to work perfectly and costs very little to run. It has the advantage that on stepping into the van the air smells and feels as though the van is still in use. I don't remove fabrics, cushions or bedding although I lower the overcab bed and leave locker doors open. All this is my own opinion and is what has worked for me ever since I started caravanning. I provide no ventilation other than what is fixed and in exceptionally damp weather I use a dehumidifier (whether it needs it or not) because I happen to own one.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was worried about mice nesting after a previous delve in here.

Quite, and they're too smart for traps.....
Crafty mouse.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back