Over winter Greece. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
A bit of advance speculative planning. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of travelling down through mainland Greece and the islands and finding somewhere to 'garage' the van over mid-December to mid-February, flying home and resuming a reverse trip in the Spring?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Need to check if your insurance will allow you to do that, most companies limit you to leaving the for a max of 36 hours when away from home without prior agreement.

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look at magbaz travels. They have frequently overwintered in Greece and might be able to help.

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@tony_g we are currently at a small family campsite in Ancient Korinthos and it holds around 10-15 vans. The owner is an old chap who still works the fields and so the campsite is just a little extra income for him. There is a German motorhomer who stays on the site all winter, so it stays open. Secure and someone present all the time...I could ask for you, if you like.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
@The Dude can you give @tony_g any advice about Greece and the islands in winter?
Although we know quite a lot about travelling in Greece, I think @tony_g mainly wants to know where he could store his van for 3 months over winter, and unfortunately we can't help with this one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@tony_g I didn't see the old chap yesterday but managed to 'sort of' speak to him this morning. He only speaks Greek and I only speak English, so it was fun! But through google translate I think the answer is yes, you can park over winter. However, I could not get a price for you, he just kept smiling. The guy is in his 80's and it was his daughter who sorted out the camping side of things and sadly she recently passed away. I think he is not sure what the right price would be, so affraid to name the price? The camping rate is €10 per day but clearly you could negotiate a good discount for a 3 months park up.
It is a small family home with camping places and secure fencing. It is a quiet area on the edge of a village, so I would say it feels a good place to leave your vehicle. I will take a few photos for you in a minute.

I was thinking of places last night for you. The other option, I am thinking of easy options for flights could be Parkopolis in Piraeus district of Athens. This is a secure site and the lady there called Marie allows people to store their motorhomes usually when people fancy island hopping without the motorhome. She speaks excellent English and is so friendly and helpful. Her contact number is tel:+308715660030 and you can see photo's on this website http://www.parkvia.com/en-GB/port-parking/piraeus-port/parkopolis-port-parking-piraeus.

Obviously loads of places will offer the facility but I am just trying to think of places I have seen and where I feel I would leave our vehicle.

Hopefully a couple of options for you to consider and will send over some photos in a minute x

Last edited:

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A few photo's for you and a little bit more info. Parking up for 3 months is no problem, he doesnt know the cost because of the tax charges and he needs to ask his son for helps on this. There is already 1 motorhome here that is parked up for winter. He will also run you to and from the airport, sweet gentleman.

The old Greek Chap, he says hello!
IMG_4499.JPG

The contact number
IMG_4496.JPG

The parking spaces - the motorhome on left is apparently parked up for winter
IMG_4498.JPG

The house, entrance and reception area
IMG_4497.JPG

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Wow, thanks for all your work. Certainly interesting options to consider. The old gentlemans place sounds lovely but maybe the Piraeus one would suit the insurers more. As I said, still at the speculative planning stage. Will have to check out insurers and persuade OH. Recent acquisition of grandchildren means not being away as long as I might ideally like! This would all be an Autumn 2017/Spring 2018 trip. It's full steam ahead for Norway this Spring. Anyway, thanks again for the info. We're just on the ferry back from Bilbao. Time to regroup and catch up with your blog on full fat Virgin broadband back home for a few weeks.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back