OVER HEAD AND REVERSING CAMERA (1 Viewer)

Georgia Langham

Free Member
Sep 12, 2017
Funster No
I am a student currently studying DT at A level. I am looking at creating a product which allows motorhome, caravan and commercial vehicle users to be able to see the roof of the car and any of the items attached to it, and is able to switch (either turn or change camera) to a rear view, aiding you when reversing. If anyone has come across a product that does exactly this or believes they could give me any advice with this, I would really appreciate it :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are plenty of 12v monitors that will accept up to 4 inputs - see eBay. Many motorhome users have dual reversing and rear view cameras. Cameras are cheap so an additional one to view the green stuff growing on the roof is easily added :).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is even a camera system with 360 degree view on the screen. the only view i am not aware of being covered is the roof pointing forward to help avoid low bridges and obstructions. otherwise camera systems have been readily available for several years now. most new motorhomes and hgv lorries come with them fitted at the factory now or it is an option when ordering

as dragons den would say Georgia, this has been done before and is nothing new, for that reason, I'm out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi Georgia
Thank you for thinking about this project and for contacting the Forum. My guess is that, to realise that being able to see the roof fittings would be useful, means your family has a caravan or a motorhome; am I right?

As others have said, there are plenty of rear-view and reversing cameras out there, and although lots of people would be able to make their own every-which-way viewing, there are many more who wouldn't, and although I'm fairly new to the game I haven't heard of anything around which is similar to what you're describing.

I think it could be helpful to be able to judge height obstructions BEFORE losing rooftop furniture! Also such a camera could warn the driver if they've left a TV aerial up or a roof window open, and some carry equipment on the roof which could be monitored.

I'm afraid that a bit of encouragement is all the 'help' I can give: I'm not a technical person!

Good luck with this project and with your studies.

OP
OP
G

Georgia Langham

Free Member
Sep 12, 2017
Funster No
I'm aware of the reversing camera and fitted camera already being a product that's available, however the main focus I want it to be on is the fact that you can view the roof. I want to make something that is one unit and non invasive, where as other cameras I have come across often require you to make holes in your vehicles when they are not already installed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm aware of the reversing camera and fitted camera already being a product that's available, however the main focus I want it to be on is the fact that you can view the roof. I want to make something that is one unit and non invasive, where as other cameras I have come across often require you to make holes in your vehicles when they are not already installed.
If by "non invasive" you mean some prismatic system for seeing over your roof it has already been done many years ago and didn't catch on.

I used to travel all over the UK and Europe with bikes and canoes on the roof of a car and I had a system for keeping an eye on them, it was called a sun roof(y)

I think you will find that not that many motorhomes travel with stuff on the roof as they are so tall to load in the first place.

Martin

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
there is even a camera system with 360 degree view on the screen. the only view i am not aware of being covered is the roof pointing forward to help avoid low bridges and obstructions. otherwise camera systems have been readily available for several years now. most new motorhomes and hgv lorries come with them fitted at the factory now or it is an option when ordering

as dragons den would say Georgia, this has been done before and is nothing new, for that reason, I'm out
I believe the "birds eye view" systems currently fitted have cameras fitted to the sides of the vehicle and software makes up a picture and drops a stored image of your vehicle into the picture. So what you see is not actually a live view of the top of the vehicle.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-and-why-are-they-better-than-they-need-to-be

A very interesting project Georgia. Good luck with your design ideas and your A level.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back