Over cab drop down bed - advice needed (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
I am currently renovating my Mirage motorhome and recently had to operate this bed for access to install camera wiring etc, I was surprised by the weight of the thing and the effort required to raise it up after use. I have no previous experience of these drop down beds so would appreciate any comments and advice from others, I am no weakling but it is as much as I can do to get the bed lifted and secured by the seat belt type fastening. I have inspected the metal framework and all appears in good condition and working properly, there are two gas struts, one either end, they too look to be in good condition but I have no way of testing these, is this a possible weak point with these beds ? My problems with this project are made worse by lack of information on the Mirage, the Italian company ceased trading a few years back, the owners club appears to have disappeared and very little info on the web. From what I have learned so far it appears that this bed arrangement is common to most A class vans so all and any advices will be welcome.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Not much help but i can lift our overcab bed with one hand so it sounds like you have got a problem it maybe the struts but Im sure a expert will come along soon.

Paul

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!
Have you tried to find a Mirage owners' forum? Or may be a facebook page of such a group? If this is a weak point, it has certainly be discussed somewhere.
Good luck
Amicalement
Frankie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you can get to it OK it should be easy to get a gas strut off as they are just a ball and socket fitting and you pull a clip back to release, you should betaking it off in its extended position.

Our bed is heavy as well but it stays up when unclipped, do you have to pull yours down or does it drop?

Martin

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
As the 'older' female part of this gang I do find our bed (made up) a bit heavy to get started on the upward journey but once moving it goes up easy and does not need strapping up-except when travelling!
Maybe the gas struts need renewing.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I very strongly suspect one or both of your gas struts are no longer effective.

You would not necessarily be able to tell if they have leaked all their gas out by looking.

If they do need replacing, these are the people who will supply them...

https://www.google.pt/url?sa=t&sour...DdM_9DiHnKs58e0xA&sig2=j4HUZXaXaITCATgNs6zZmw

One of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks to all those comments, it not only takes all my strength to lift the bed from lowered position but I then need to position my shoulder under it to keep it there until the belt is clipped, when lowering it needs supporting, otherwise it will drop straight down. I think that has convinced me the struts need renewing, another job on the list then. Thanks again everyone.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Yes it's your struts the good news ,not too expensive as parts go , replacement needs to be done as soon as possible .A drop down bed is heavy and would not trust the strap that you use to hold it in the up position . I would not fancy driving with the threat of it dropping down whilst driving .replacement number will be on your present struts .

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it's your struts the good news ,not too expensive as parts go , replacement needs to be done as soon as possible .A drop down bed is heavy and would not trust the strap that you use to hold it in the up position . I would not fancy driving with the threat of it dropping down whilst driving .replacement number will be on your present struts .
Remember @ianthebuilder s hilarious story of his bed coming down when driving! But not really funny good luck with the repair.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I don't think replacing the struts is an easy job. With the bed down, the struts are in the compressed position AFAIK. So, releasing the strut from the end mountings could be difficult unless the bed was supported in the raised position. Then it would be difficult to get to the strut. Even in the fully raised position the strut would still have energy left in it.

I've heard of people replacing struts and the general consensus of opinion is that it's a pig of a job.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Mike4727. Before replacing the gas struts, check the 4 x nylock nuts on the cantilever frame for slack. They are known to slowly come undone, and on Hymers, the advice is that they should be checked annually, and torqued up to 40lbs/ft.
The struts and the tightness of these nuts work together to keep the bed in the raised position before attaching the retaining strap. I have recently changed ours for new ones, as I have had to re-torque ours twice in the last year.

I am assuming you have the same drop down bed as fitted to Hymers. If so, there are some helpful tips here.........
http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm#fixbolts .........

and here......... http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm#strut

Good luck. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It really isn't difficult. Remove any bedding you can before starting then lift it up until it stops: in that position the struts are fully extended but would be difficult to remove because the weight of the bed is still on them. Either use the strap to winch the bed up just past that point or if that is difficult use a car jack & padded wood to do the same - then fully tighten the strap. It's only around an inch that's required past the normal full up position & you can feel it when the struts go slack. At that point you can remove / replace them. It certainly isn't a pig of a job & won't take more than 45 minutes (even at my pace and including tea breaks!). 'Rattle' the struts to check that there's no weight on them - you should have no difficulty sliding them off as long as that is the case.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If the bed is ‘heavy’ all the way up, it could be that your struts need replacing.

Bed mechanisms involve pivots and sliding gear that may look fine but do wear and the altered geometry of the mechanism makes it difficult to operate. In my limited experience of this, the stiffness was not uniform and there was audible objection during part of the operation.

Replacing struts may require ingenuity and patience to reassemble. Plan ahead: you don’t want to be stuck with the bed down.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
One strut on my Rapido let me down last year and got a price from Brownhills to replace both . The quote was 2 men two hrs £86 an hour +parts =£200 plus. Declined.4weeks later I rang back again to book it in they quoted 2 men £86 4 hrs £86 per hour +parts .I pointed out my previous quote and the girl said ,They had one last week it took 4hrs £400+ . I declined . Tried it myself struggled but realised the method after a chat with JAWS . Left it whilst my son came home from abroad .He came had a look .He then dropped the bottom support nearest the windscreen put 2 cushions on the dash , dropped that end of the bed on the cushions removed the strut replaced the strut for new 29minutes never seen one in his life before . I assisted ,He asked me to raise the base slightly to put extra cushion on top of the original two .That was the drivers side .the passenger side took 38minutes .My son is an engineer (Staff) on an oil rig .I claimed an assist as I stripped the bed ,put two cushions on the dash,passed him the struts and made the tea lol,and Rapido,s are supposed to be difficult .

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Never used drop down bed, took the mattress of put in the spare bedroom, now carry chairs, silver screens, and step ladder up there. goes up ok if a bit heavy but stays up without having to
hold it until the clips in place. rock on Rapido.

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
I never thought of that - an overhead garage :D Seriously I would like to get it operating properly eventually as it is the only guest bed in my arrangement but I am lucky because it still works and I have time on my side for sorting it out. I will be getting up there again tomorrow armed with all the information received today taking part numbers of the struts and checking the lock nuts etc, then I will order replacements from SGS, stuff from UK takes on average three weeks to arrive here, by then I should have a strategy in place - hopefully !!!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Easiest thing in the world to renew, a bit fiddly tho Have posted on here somewhere how to do it. Perhaps you'll have more success than me in finding it
Common sense really

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I will be getting up there again tomorrow armed with all the information received today taking part numbers of the struts and checking the lock nuts etc,
Don't forget to show your appreciation of other folk's efforts Mike, by using the icons in the blue bar at the base of each post. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: f6c

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
My drop down is quite heavy as well because i have got two cupboards on the underside full of foody stuff salt, pepper, sauce, all that sort of thing, stock photo
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back