Over Cab Beds (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Still saving & having the occasional look what`s for sale but something intrigues me....

How do people find the over cab beds in Hymer A class and others ? They don`t look very user friendly or very stable for that matter. Which way round do people sleep, head first or feet towards the open end ? If head towards open end how easy is the manouver to about turn ?

BTW had a great 10 nights in Brittany in hired MH in June, that had an island bed at the back though !

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
My Itineo has one! We use it in preference to the fixed bed at the back.
It is bigger and you sleep across the van.

Very comfy with room to toss n turn!!

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Across, right, that had not occurred to me. Can you leave the duvet in place all the time and just shove it up in the day out of the way ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our old Hymer camp has said bed.....We started to use it at first, however, it's not all that easy to climb up to. Fine when you were up there, but getting out for an over age 60 wee at 0300 is not easy.
Our biggest problem came one early morning, when....well.....one small thing led to a large thing.......And I got my ar*e jammed against the roof, between it and my beloved...:blush:

It took the AA three hours to get me off.

Since then, we sleep on the fantastic rear accommodation. :crying:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We use ours for storage. We prefer the fixed queen size rear bed as there are only two of us.
We have had family use the over cab bed and they say it is very comfy. Side to side.

The ladder is stable as is the bed and it is a one man job to put it back up as it is cantilevered.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We use the over cab all the time ,it's great, large and comfy, the ladder was bit of an issue which I sorted with some foam pipe insulaton, now nice and easy on the feet if nature calls in the night.
In the days it all lifts out of the way pillows duvets etc all out of the way.
It suits us fine at present.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!

They take up no space whilst travelling or during the day. The whole of the van is available to use as it is designed.

At night I turn one chair through 180deg, the other through 90deg, press a button and we have a bed which is almost ready to climb into (the duvet has to be folded back and the ladder clicked into place). Time taken: less than 30 seconds. The rest of the van is available to use as it is designed.

In the morning, the process is reversed: possibly 1 minute.

Our bed has sprung slats, original mattress + memory foam (2") topper. Really comfortable.

Barbara has arthritis (fairly advanced) but manages quite easily, even in the dead of night. I sleep on the "inside" and often climb out without disturbing her - Gordon

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I use mine and love it,fold it away after a bit of an airing,then ready to drop down at end of day and climb in.:)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Would not want any other, a push and it's up made up and out of the way for the day. Ladder up in the evening up to bed really comfortable, will hold two 20 Stone people.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Blimy Carol I wouldn't fancy trying to get up there at 20st:eek:
Having said that I was 15st a few months ago so I suppose not that inconceivable:whistle:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Certainly convenient and ours is massive.. But doesn't replace our fixed rear bed in any way. Great for kids though..

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'd agree with sdc77. Udo's is huge and conveniently drops down low enough so a ladder isn't needed. It's ideal for my son as a very large bed. Udo has a king-size fixed rear anyway.

Takes a few seconds to pull down and retract. It's always fully made-up and has its own roof window / vent thing, plus lighting and storage up there, too.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If it's a drop down bed check how easy it is to put down and back up. It was one job I dreaded in our old Hymer - yes the bed was cantilevered and was usually a doddle but now and again (and usually when I was in a hurry) it just wouldn't click back into the "day position".

It was very comfortable for sleeping though.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It was the drop down bed I had seen frequently in the Hymer models I looked at

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Drop down beds are fine. Our last MH a Dethless had a drop down bed that was the only double, it was OK but a bit high climbing in. Our current Rapido has a fixed rear bed which is what we use, but the front drop down one is very comfortable and comes low enough to not need a ladder. We usually use it for storage of spare bedding and towels etc, but it has been slept in occasionally and is fine.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Our old Hymer camp has said bed.....We started to use it at first, however, it's not all that easy to climb up to. Fine when you were up there, but getting out for an over age 60 wee at 0300 is not easy.
Our biggest problem came one early morning, when....well.....one small thing led to a large thing.......And I got my ar*e jammed against the roof, between it and my beloved...:blush:

It took the AA three hours to get me off.

Since then, we sleep on the fantastic rear accommodation. :crying:

It must have been the trumpet.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
If you aren't too bothered about the size of your m/h to be then a fixed bed is obviously always easier - however, if like us you are going to be restricted on the length then a drop down has got so much going for it.....which is exactly what we're trying to find now.

A drop down won't interfere with the living space and you can leave it made up during the day.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Overhead space - Golf clubs and trolley, (y) fishing rods and tackle box, (y) Satellite dish and stand, picnic table and two deck chairs, (y) canopy winder, Umbrellas, (y) where the heck are are you gonna sleep ?? :unsure:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
you sleep across the front and very easy to get in and out of. Prefer this setup as you can leave it made up during the day and just drop down at Night. I couldnt be doing with all that faffing around making a bed using the various seat cushions etc.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
"No way would we ever want to sleep up there!" was our immediate response. But we tried it once and were really surprised. A lovely big comfortable bed (bigger than at home), no unpacking bedding and making up every evening and stowing it away again every morning. Just raise the flap. Takes up NO floorspace. We never use anything else now. (y)

Wyn

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hymer drop down fantastic, most comfortable mattress easily folds away during day time if needed,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back