Over 70 you can drive over 3.5t without a C1 -DVLA (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Applied to reinstate my C1 (didn't do it at 70)

Filled in the D4 form (Medical) over a month ago, all sent back to me with a D2 form which is the actual application form straight away.

Having not heard anything I rang the DVLA this morning "Not all the pages of your D4 were scanned into the computer" - not happy! - but the lady on the phone was very helpful and gave me the email address to send copies to - done now.

Explained that I needed the C1 to drive my MH - she told me I could still drive under Section 88 RTA as I had filled in the D2 form..................(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Got a few paras down and my eyes crossed :eek::eek: whoever writes this stuff is either genius or totally barmy, perfect gobbledegook :rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am none the wiser after LOOKING at it, let alone reading it.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I am none the wiser after LOOKING at it, let alone reading it.

Neither was I but that's what I was told - repeated this back to the DVLA when I sent the copies of the D4 by email

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I suppose as you have in put an application unless it is refused your still able to use your licence .

A bit confusing as your trying to get back the categories that you are still entitled to just pending a medical .

Not sure how an insurance company would view it ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ah - this is much the same as 'medical' renewals - I have had to renew mine every 3 years since I passed my test, being T1 Diabetic.

They declined to renew my licence the one year - I'd missed a question or ticked the wrong box or something equally daft - so of course I appealed and had to wait for months to get them to arrange with the local test centre, to confirm I could read a car numberplate at however many metres the law says. (That was No prob, except the examiner asked me to read the no of a silver C4 parked on the carpark. I said it might be better if I didn't really, seeing as it was my car I'd only parked there 5 minutes ago! LOL)

The point here being - because I'd appealed, and because I definitely COULD see the required distance so nothing had actually changed since my existing licence expired - if you were legal before it expired you are legal to drive in the UK. However they cannot confirm that you'd be legal to drive in any other country, even within the EU, until they actually issue the new licence.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I suppose as you have in put an application unless it is refused your still able to use your licence .

A bit confusing as your trying to get back the categories that you are still entitled to just pending a medical .

Not sure how an insurance company would view it ?

It does make sense as the only obstacle to keeping you C1 is the medical

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Insurance.......

Most, if not all, proposals include the wording (or similar).....

Do you hold, or have held and are not disqualified from holding a UK driving licence

This, to me, infers as long as you are entitled to hold a licence you don't actually need a physical licence.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Simple you had one before & the application is in. so you can still drive.

(1)Notwithstanding section 87 of this Act, a person may drive or cause or permit another person to drive a vehicle of any class [F1at any time] if—

[F2(a)the driver has held—
(i)a licence under this Part of this Act to drive vehicles of that or a corresponding class, or

(b)either—

(i)a qualifying application by the driver for the grant of a licence to drive vehicles of that class for a period which includes that time has been received by the Secretary of State,

@pappajohn a Uk citizen once test passed & slip returned to dvlc has never needed to be physically in possession of a licence.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
His vic. I surrendered my licence earlier this year and started driving under section 88 of the rta when I reapplied...
There are conditions and the onus is on you to know there will be no reason for refusal and you meet the criteria...
They also have to be in receipt of your application....
Sorry just noticed it' not a new thread but I'll post anyway..
Andy..

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The thing is if your licence runs out and you return it at 70 to be renewed ,but reapply to renew your C1,for instance you are allowed to drive without a physical licence until a decision is made by the DVLA as your name remains on the driving licence register until the DVLA decide you meet the criteria as fit to drive ,which in some cases mean subject to medical and until all appeals have being exhausted irrespective of time.If after that the DVLA are not satisfied, your name comes off the register and you are no longer allowed to drive.This also allows you to drive in Europe .I myself drove in France this year with a letter from the DVLA explaining my situation regards waiting for a result.I must admit never being stopped in Europe so was a bit nervous at the thought of having to explain my position to the policier /gendarme, fortunately the problem never arrived .On returning to the UK, my licence including C1 was on the mat,having being returned in full for the next 3 years which was quite a relief lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back