Over 7 metres you are sometimes a truck in France (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Well if it's true I'm gobsmacked but I put the mlink for you to decide for yourself. The specific artical is at the bottom left "Une conduite de camion" and this is the google translation

"A truck driving"
Didier: "It happens to me very often, with my full 7.40m [...] It is obvious that even if we pass on the highways in category 2, our speed is that of a car and not a The flash is due to the size of your camper that is initially taken for a truck, but after the reading of your registration is not verbal, however, where you can be verbalized, it is so your motorhome is more than 7 meters, because in this case you must have a driving "truck", that is to say do not double on the third lane and engage in a roundabout always on the right."

The link also covers the subject of being flashed as if a truck.

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/p...quement-flashes-a-tort-et-pas-verbalises.html

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would think it would be applied based on weight alone and most if not all 7m + MH's will also be over 3,5T

We are already and pay due care on such as the N10 no overtaking rules

But I did not know about the rule about entering a roundabout from the right hand lane, presumably then passing right round the outside? Mind you the French still haven't grasped round abouts from our experience and we are more than wary of all other users at each one we come across (y) works in our favour as well as they seem to give way to all other vehicles sometimes on round abouts at least

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I find if you see a French vehicle approaching you at a junction the following applies:
If the indicator is flashing,the driver has forgotten to turn it off
If the indicator is not flashing, the driver has forgotten to turn it on!

We regularly get flashed on motorways. I got flashed yesterday. Speed limit 130, I was doing 89kmh.
Our van is 3.4t. 3m high and 6.9m long

D

DL42846

Deleted User
@DavidG58
The French have mastered round-a-bouts!:mad:

They just haven’t mastered indicators!:whistle::france:

I'm not sure the French have mastered driving. The speed limit is being lowered in France because the French can't drive in a straight line let alone use indicators. I red somewhere in France there was over 3500 deaths on the road compared to 1800 in the UK. Some bright spark in the French government thinks by reducing the speed limit from 56 mph to 50 mph on national roads its going to reduce accidents. I think the opposite, its going to give French drivers more time to admire the countryside rather than the road.

Oh, should mention my Motor home is 7.14 meters and 3.5 t. Been flashed loads of times, never had a problem.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@DavidG58 for roundabouts all HGV's must enter the roundabouts in the righthand lane and if turning left you must remain in that lane. I do the same with my car now because I find the French "vague" in their use of lane procedures and indicators.
@maison @Allanm you can buy a 20 year old French car with indicators in "as new" condition.
@Mikescuba The average French driver seems to spend most of his/her driving life devising new and bizzare ways to kill themselves and others. I love my life here in France ...... but .... bless 'em ... they have no soddin idea what to do in a vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The best way of dealing with driving in France is to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander(y)

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
The best way of dealing with driving in France is to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander(y)
Spoilsport where's your sense of adventure .... and it is a beautiful country

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Roundabout procedure for HGV is same as UK then but obviously opposite rotation ?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I thought you only drive in France to get to Spain?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Mind you the French still haven't grasped round abouts from our experience
They might not have mastered driving safely around them but they have certainly mastered the building of them.
Building roundabouts has become a national obsession. Its how they keep their unemployment figures in check and how they spend all that lovely EU money they get thrown at them. (Wonder where all that comes from? Any suggestions?)
One short stretch of ordinary country D road we use frequently has had 3 new roundabouts plus a revised junction built within the last four years.
Every time we go to France, several times a year, there is at least one new roundabout that isn't on the sat-nav.
The French aren't world champions in many sports or occupations but roundabout building is the exception. They win hands down. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Richard.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
7.4 m long 3.65 tonnes flashed in early December nothing through (yet!!) :whistle:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am feeling a bit sick about this weight thing, What is the weight and speed thing my van is GVW 4200 although it was 3500kg I had it uprated but empty it is under 3000kgs.
If I get anything from France Do I send a copy of the weighbridge ticket at 3000kgs?. Or will they work out what the DVLC put on my V5 which is complete cobblers.
I was flashed twice on the Autoroute at 56 or 60 MPH in an area that trucks are restricted to 85KPH at the bottom of motorway hill slopes.
It took me a bit of time working out what the triangular shaped boxes were on the side of the road, but camera enclosures is what they are. I started following how the truck did the roundabout dance, as they seem to use the bulk to stop getting carved up, I just get carved up.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My Satnav is so out of date ..............but..............it makes driving through France even more enjoyable....'invisible' roundabouts, ............satnav 'lost' in the middle of the countryside (new roads)....adds to the drive(y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
They might not have mastered driving safely around them but they have certainly mastered the building of them.
Building roundabouts has become a national obsession. Its how they keep their unemployment figures in check and how they spend all that lovely EU money they get thrown at them. (Wonder where all that comes from? Any suggestions?)
One short stretch of ordinary country D road we use frequently has had 3 new roundabouts plus a revised junction built within the last four years.
Every time we go to France, several times a year, there is at least one new roundabout that isn't on the sat-nav.
The French aren't world champions in many sports or occupations but roundabout building is the exception. They win hands down. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Richard.

images-1.jpg
France has 1 roundabout for every 5 inhabitants. The Government’s vision is for every citizen to have one by 2020.

French roundabouts rotate anti-clockwise: so UK and Irish drivers may get dizzy, especially when going round three times while the navigator is working out which exit to take. Note that when asking directions you say ‘un rondpoint‘, your helpful Frenchman will talk about ‘une giratoire‘. Or vice-versa.

Roundabout rules are arcane but essential to know. Here are some of them.

☛ The sign Vous n’avez pas la priorité’ means that the priorité à droite rule does not apply. Mute surrender to new rules is unFrench: you must pay homage to the old rule by entering just in front of vehicles on your left.
☛ Avoid collisions, but be close enough to comment on the moral degeneration of the nation from effete modern rules.
☛ When turning left, go round the outside and cause maximum anxiety to anyone on the inside attempting to leave at the exits you cross.
☛ Do not make eye contact or make gestures while still at a learning stage.
☛ Never use your right indicator to show you are leaving at the next exit. Indeed, the skilled negotiator leaves the left indicator blinking.
☛ Between the hours of 1145 and 1230, anyone going home for lunch assumes priority (including over other drivers going home for lunch).

There are two exceptions to the above rules: if the vehicle on your left is an eighteen wheeled articulated lorry; and if the vehicle on your left is blue with Gendarmerie Nationale on its side.

Practise on little roundabouts before tackling your initiation test, on a big, busy roundabout such as Auchan (now greatly improved by an underground bypass, so fun much reduced). To pass, you must successfully enter and exit from and to each road (ie 12 permutations). The Advanced Test includes use of horn and Gallic gesturing, but that’s for later.
Bonne circulation!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Apr 23rd 2016 | CORMEILLE-EN-PARISIS

https://www.economist.com/node/21697235/comments

A TRAFFIC intersection may not seem an obvious subject for metaphysical reflection. But in France, few aspects of life escape philosophical investigation. Now it is the turn of the roundabout, a humble road-junction improvement which is invading the French landscape and unsettling the order of things. Uncommon in France a generation ago, they number some 30,000 today—more than in Britain, which invented the modern version—and an estimated 500 more are built each year. According to a French radio programme, they are not merely a tool for traffic management and road safety, but “an example of when the absurd becomes banal.”

It was a French town planner and architect, Eugène Hénard, who in the early 1900s invented what is officially known as a carrefour giratoire (gyratory crossroad). New York built the first, Columbus Circle, in 1905. Two years later, Hénard installed his version in Paris, designed to circumnavigate the Arc de Triomphe from the star of avenues that lead to it, which were laid out by Baron Haussmann in the mid-19th century. To this day, this form of traffic circle obliges vehicles already circulating to give way to those approaching, in line with the French rule of giving priority to cars coming from the right. The modern roundabout, by contrast, pioneered by British traffic engineers, forces vehicles approaching from an access road to await a gap in circulating traffic.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I am feeling a bit sick about this weight thing, What is the weight and speed thing my van is GVW 4200 although it was 3500kg I had it uprated but empty it is under 3000kgs.
If I get anything from France Do I send a copy of the weighbridge ticket at 3000kgs?. Or will they work out what the DVLC put on my V5 which is complete cobblers.
I was flashed twice on the Autoroute at 56 or 60 MPH in an area that trucks are restricted to 85KPH at the bottom of motorway hill slopes.
It took me a bit of time working out what the triangular shaped boxes were on the side of the road, but camera enclosures is what they are. I started following how the truck did the roundabout dance, as they seem to use the bulk to stop getting carved up, I just get carved up.
Don't worry about the occasional flash on motorways.
I've been collecting them for ages and never heard anything.
Those big white triangular boxes beside D roads are another worry though. There you are zooming along happily at 87kph behind a truck when one of these 'mobile' cameras, that are anything but mobile, suddenly appears hidden in a field. Ooops!
If you see the sign that says "radar frequent" you can bet that one of those big white boxes will be just down the road. Beware!
Having said all that, I have yet to hear of anyone being nicked in a motorhome................................yet.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its what's on your V5C that matters as that's the official weight registered with the DVLA.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
@DavidG58
The French have mastered round-a-bouts!:mad:

They just haven’t mastered indicators!:whistle::france:

I think Dylon, Zebedee, Dougal, Florance, et-al. Would tend to disagree?:D they only needed one side to work.:rolleyes:

My excuse for knowing of this, is bringing up two kid`s during that era,:confused: Honest!:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back