Over 7 metres you are sometimes a truck in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jetlag03, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

1. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +846
    Well if it's true I'm gobsmacked but I put the mlink for you to decide for yourself. The specific artical is at the bottom left "Une conduite de camion" and this is the google translation

"A truck driving"
    Didier: "It happens to me very often, with my full 7.40m [...] It is obvious that even if we pass on the highways in category 2, our speed is that of a car and not a The flash is due to the size of your camper that is initially taken for a truck, but after the reading of your registration is not verbal, however, where you can be verbalized, it is so your motorhome is more than 7 meters, because in this case you must have a driving "truck", that is to say do not double on the third lane and engage in a roundabout always on the right."

The link also covers the subject of being flashed as if a truck.

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/p...quement-flashes-a-tort-et-pas-verbalises.html

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +30,527
    I would think it would be applied based on weight alone and most if not all 7m + MH's will also be over 3,5T

We are already and pay due care on such as the N10 no overtaking rules

But I did not know about the rule about entering a roundabout from the right hand lane, presumably then passing right round the outside? Mind you the French still haven't grasped round abouts from our experience and we are more than wary of all other users at each one we come across (y) works in our favour as well as they seem to give way to all other vehicles sometimes on round abouts at least

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    @DavidG58
    The French have mastered round-a-bouts!:mad:

They just haven’t mastered indicators!:whistle::france:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 1
  4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +6,053
    I find if you see a French vehicle approaching you at a junction the following applies:
    If the indicator is flashing,the driver has forgotten to turn it off
    If the indicator is not flashing, the driver has forgotten to turn it on!

We regularly get flashed on motorways. I got flashed yesterday. Speed limit 130, I was doing 89kmh.
    Our van is 3.4t. 3m high and 6.9m long

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Ratings:
    +1,298
    I'm not sure the French have mastered driving. The speed limit is being lowered in France because the French can't drive in a straight line let alone use indicators. I red somewhere in France there was over 3500 deaths on the road compared to 1800 in the UK. Some bright spark in the French government thinks by reducing the speed limit from 56 mph to 50 mph on national roads its going to reduce accidents. I think the opposite, its going to give French drivers more time to admire the countryside rather than the road.

Oh, should mention my Motor home is 7.14 meters and 3.5 t. Been flashed loads of times, never had a problem.

• Like it Like it x 4
  6. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +846
    @DavidG58 for roundabouts all HGV's must enter the roundabouts in the righthand lane and if turning left you must remain in that lane. I do the same with my car now because I find the French "vague" in their use of lane procedures and indicators.
    @maison @Allanm you can buy a 20 year old French car with indicators in "as new" condition.
    @Mikescuba The average French driver seems to spend most of his/her driving life devising new and bizzare ways to kill themselves and others. I love my life here in France ...... but .... bless 'em ... they have no soddin idea what to do in a vehicle.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +66,413
    The best way of dealing with driving in France is to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander(y)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
    • Like it Like it x 1
  8. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Ratings:
    +846
    Spoilsport where's your sense of adventure .... and it is a beautiful country

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    No!

It’s a challenge.

Take them on at their own game.............

.......but be careful!:cool:

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +1,594
    Roundabout procedure for HGV is same as UK then but obviously opposite rotation ?

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +66,413
    I thought you only drive in France to get to Spain?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +4,286
    Not at all. I love France, though Spain is good. I wouldn't miss out driving through France.

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +14,700
    Normal French driving.

14. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +4,022
    They might not have mastered driving safely around them but they have certainly mastered the building of them.
    Building roundabouts has become a national obsession. Its how they keep their unemployment figures in check and how they spend all that lovely EU money they get thrown at them. (Wonder where all that comes from? Any suggestions?)
    One short stretch of ordinary country D road we use frequently has had 3 new roundabouts plus a revised junction built within the last four years.
    Every time we go to France, several times a year, there is at least one new roundabout that isn't on the sat-nav.
    The French aren't world champions in many sports or occupations but roundabout building is the exception. They win hands down. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Richard.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  15. Happy1

Happy1 Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    7.4 m long 3.65 tonnes flashed in early December nothing through (yet!!) :whistle:

16. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +834
    But they still build a lot with reverse camber - ideal for tipping over a high vehicle on a smmall-radius roundabout.

Geoff

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Ratings:
    +3,169
    I am feeling a bit sick about this weight thing, What is the weight and speed thing my van is GVW 4200 although it was 3500kg I had it uprated but empty it is under 3000kgs.
    If I get anything from France Do I send a copy of the weighbridge ticket at 3000kgs?. Or will they work out what the DVLC put on my V5 which is complete cobblers.
    I was flashed twice on the Autoroute at 56 or 60 MPH in an area that trucks are restricted to 85KPH at the bottom of motorway hill slopes.
    It took me a bit of time working out what the triangular shaped boxes were on the side of the road, but camera enclosures is what they are. I started following how the truck did the roundabout dance, as they seem to use the bulk to stop getting carved up, I just get carved up.

18. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Ratings:
    +11,436
    My Satnav is so out of date ..............but..............it makes driving through France even more enjoyable....'invisible' roundabouts, ............satnav 'lost' in the middle of the countryside (new roads)....adds to the drive(y)

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +6,470

[​IMG]France has 1 roundabout for every 5 inhabitants. The Government’s vision is for every citizen to have one by 2020.

French roundabouts rotate anti-clockwise: so UK and Irish drivers may get dizzy, especially when going round three times while the navigator is working out which exit to take. Note that when asking directions you say ‘un rondpoint‘, your helpful Frenchman will talk about ‘une giratoire‘. Or vice-versa.

Roundabout rules are arcane but essential to know. Here are some of them.

☛ The sign Vous n’avez pas la priorité’ means that the priorité à droite rule does not apply. Mute surrender to new rules is unFrench: you must pay homage to the old rule by entering just in front of vehicles on your left.
    ☛ Avoid collisions, but be close enough to comment on the moral degeneration of the nation from effete modern rules.
    ☛ When turning left, go round the outside and cause maximum anxiety to anyone on the inside attempting to leave at the exits you cross.
    ☛ Do not make eye contact or make gestures while still at a learning stage.
    ☛ Never use your right indicator to show you are leaving at the next exit. Indeed, the skilled negotiator leaves the left indicator blinking.
    ☛ Between the hours of 1145 and 1230, anyone going home for lunch assumes priority (including over other drivers going home for lunch).

There are two exceptions to the above rules: if the vehicle on your left is an eighteen wheeled articulated lorry; and if the vehicle on your left is blue with Gendarmerie Nationale on its side.

Practise on little roundabouts before tackling your initiation test, on a big, busy roundabout such as Auchan (now greatly improved by an underground bypass, so fun much reduced). To pass, you must successfully enter and exit from and to each road (ie 12 permutations). The Advanced Test includes use of horn and Gallic gesturing, but that’s for later.
    Bonne circulation!

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +6,470
    Apr 23rd 2016 | CORMEILLE-EN-PARISIS

A TRAFFIC intersection may not seem an obvious subject for metaphysical reflection. But in France, few aspects of life escape philosophical investigation. Now it is the turn of the roundabout, a humble road-junction improvement which is invading the French landscape and unsettling the order of things. Uncommon in France a generation ago, they number some 30,000 today—more than in Britain, which invented the modern version—and an estimated 500 more are built each year. According to a French radio programme, they are not merely a tool for traffic management and road safety, but “an example of when the absurd becomes banal.”

It was a French town planner and architect, Eugène Hénard, who in the early 1900s invented what is officially known as a carrefour giratoire (gyratory crossroad). New York built the first, Columbus Circle, in 1905. Two years later, Hénard installed his version in Paris, designed to circumnavigate the Arc de Triomphe from the star of avenues that lead to it, which were laid out by Baron Haussmann in the mid-19th century. To this day, this form of traffic circle obliges vehicles already circulating to give way to those approaching, in line with the French rule of giving priority to cars coming from the right. The modern roundabout, by contrast, pioneered by British traffic engineers, forces vehicles approaching from an access road to await a gap in circulating traffic.

• Funny Funny x 1