Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 60

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags .

Then try 56lb potato bags and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 112lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level).

After you feel confident at that level,

put a potato in each bag.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
ARE YOU MAD SIR!!!!!

Good grief you've given me pulpitations just thinking about "exercise"!!!

PHYCO! Murderer!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
(y) :LOL: to the OP

I didnt see the punch line coming just though kin el thats some weight :D

As they say

You are only as old as the woman you are feeling :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OI ... ON BEHALF OF US OLD WOMEN ON HERE.... I STATE MY OBJECTION TO THE ABOVE POSTS...
upload_2014-12-1_19-49-52.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
As founder member of the "Potato abuse board",i am reporting you for causing undue stress to potato's by not peeling them,boiling/frying them,then eating them !!
Tea Bag

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
On a serious note, to help lower my blood pressure I was advised by the doctor to do at least 20 mins of hard exercise three times per week.. ie .. work up a sweat..

simply talking the dogs for a walk each day is all very well he said, better than sitting on your bum.. but does little for the heart and lungs.

Jan's still thinking about it :cool:;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi.
As founder member of the "Potato abuse board",i am reporting you for causing undue stress to potato's by not peeling them,boiling/frying them,then eating them !!
Tea Bag
And YOU are in trouble too !
How DARE you take my gods name and use it as a forum handle !!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OI ... ON BEHALF OF US OLD WOMEN ON HERE.... I STATE MY OBJECTION TO THE ABOVE POSTS...
View attachment 48604
Has something happened to you Joy ?I have suddenly noticed you have started to refer to yourself as a OLDER WOMAN what happened to the 21 again one we all know and love ?Not sure I like this older version :D
terry

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've just put Joy (Movan) on my ignore list so that she won't be able to see this because I don't want to hurt her feelings but.........

She's gone down hill a bit quick don't ya fink.........:blush:

upload_2014-12-1_19-49-52-jpeg.48604

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I've just put Joy (Movan) on my ignore list so that she won't be able to see this because I don't want to hurt her feelings but.........

She's gone down hill a bit quick don't ya fink.........:blush:

It don't work like that-you cannot see her posts-- she can still see your posts and now YOUR IN TROUBLE :D

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
On a serious note, to help lower my blood pressure I was advised by the doctor to do at least 20 mins of hard exercise three times per week.. ie .. work up a sweat..

simply talking the dogs for a walk each day is all very well he said, better than sitting on your bum.. but does little for the heart and lungs.

Jan's still thinking about it :cool:;)

I should think if Jan went shopping with your wallet every day that should make you sweat lol

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979

She's gone down hill a bit quick don't ya fink.......

• :sneaky:
..:blush:

obviously not the Joy I remember, Griff/paul I'm sure you should have gone to Specsavers !!!!:sneaky:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
20 seconds flat out on the spot jogging, with arms going as well, then 1 minute break/rest/collapse, then another 20seconds of the same, then same 1 minute rest and a last 20 seconds flat out... Finished !!! Do this 3 times a week and all your vital "bits and bobs"
will be kept in good working order...((assuming they were working in the first place ))
This exercise regime was the subject of a recent TV prog by a doctor ((the chap with glasses and a lisp ))and the results monitored by taking blood samples and measuring fat, glucose and cholesterol etc.. It is VERY easy to keep up and guesse what,, it works !!!!!!

Sorry to get serious, couldn't think of any thing funny to add to the thread !!
Mitch..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Did I read that correctly Mitch .... Three minute jogging exercise a week in total?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
You did flower !!! It is amazing isn't it... It is called HIT, High Intensity Training..
The beauty of it is, is that it can be done anywhere and needs no "kit".
We do it on a mini trampolene, but its not necessary (if the Army hasn't destroyed your joints).. Tell me how you get on !! But you must go as FAST as you can !!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You did flower !!! It is amazing isn't it... It is called HIT, High Intensity Training..
The beauty of it is, is that it can be done anywhere and needs no "kit".
We do it on a mini trampolene, but its not necessary (if the Army hasn't destroyed your joints).. Tell me how you get on !! But you must go as FAST as you can !!!
Wow.... are we allowed to do it everyday or does that undo some of the good of the three day rule?

edit. . . Just looked it up... DEFINITELY GOING TO TRY THIS. THANK YOU :) :)

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I own and run woodland and regularly cut fallen trees for logs, to stop people nicking them I leave 8ft lengths by 18 inch and cut them into 4s when I want to move them by hand they weigh about 2cwt and I usually move about 20 at a time, so I feel reasonably fit, but my GP will not allow me an HGV medical because I had cardiac problem 24 years ago. 5 years to go before selling the van then. Unless I try the potato bags exercise or should I try the couch potato regime.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Movan. I was going to PM you but couldn't see the link..
A good way to see how your fitness improves, is to take your own pulse when you finish the last sprint and collapse, take it 1 minute after you finish, then 1 minute later again.. this difference will show you your 'recovery rate' which is a good indicator of fitness.. I don't see why you can't do it every day. but I don't !
We do play golf and badminton though..
Over the weeks, you will see that recovery rate improve and your pulse will drop down much quicker.. Good luck..
PS. You can always increase the length of time you sprint for to 30 secs, then 1 min... when you start finding it "too easy".. ;)

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Long time back, we used Interval Training to get competition horses ready for three-day-eventing. Took a bit longer than 3 minutes a week but they got a lot fitter a lot quicker than through traditional 'track-work'. Like Mitch says, it works!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags .
I send the wife out for ours :) I find that helps the incessent verbal ear pain I suffer from when she's indoors. However, taking your very worthy point on exercise, I do open the door for her to struggle in with the spuds, when she comes home. (y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back