Free Member
Nov 6, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're looking at getting our first motorhome which is 3.13m high and have noticed most filling stations are 3m high. Is there any problems with filling up in the lorry area or is there a bit of extra height that can fit under the car area? Love this motorhome but am just worried about the height as when we were in Wales the only filling station around had no lorry facilities. Hope this post reads ok, am exhausted as in process of moving house lol! Any advice on height issues would be gratefully received.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say don't worry about it, we are 3.3 and have only found one canopy in 5 years that we couldn't get under plus one in a French supermarket that we got under to fill but couldn't get out the other side as it was on a slope and got even lower, you would have been OK at under 3.2.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I wouldn't worry ......We are just over 3m with the sat dome on the roof and have never had a problem with filling stations in the uk or abroad.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Amber3

Free Member
Nov 6, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would say don't worry about it, we are 3.3 and have only found one canopy in 5 years that we couldn't get under plus one in a French supermarket that we got under to fill but couldn't get out the other side as it was on a slope and got even lower, you would have been OK at under 3.2.

Martin

Thank you, you have put my mind at rest! The dealer said it was 2.8m but that is for newer model so was worrying when found it was over 3m. Is there anything else to watch out for? Can you get under most bridges? Have you been through the Bolton Abby arch?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thank you, you have put my mind at rest! The dealer said it was 2.8m but that is for newer model so was worrying when found it was over 3m. Is there anything else to watch out for? Can you get under most bridges? Have you been through the Bolton Abby arch?
:LOL::LOL: You know how to pick them, that's one I don't think I would bother with but again whatever you are looking at might be OK, there is a bridge/tunnel going into the field they use for small rallies at York racecourse and that is about 2.9 but there is another way around, no matter what height you are you should be watching out for branches either height or where they are at the side of the road as they can easily damage the side. Over 3 metres is a higher toll class on French motorways if you fancied using them, if it is just a dome or something taking you over you might be OK but for us it is the body of the van that is over the 3 metres so we don't get away with it, no problem though as we don't generally use toll roads and I would not compromise on our choose of van for the sake of a few € in tolls.

Martin

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours is taller. Only ever had a problem on one forecourt in 10 years.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Done the Abby arch recently, we are just under 3 meters it was tight on the width had to pull both wing mirrors in
My fault had the sat nav set for car not van, however on leaving went the opposite way following sat nav set for truck and to be honest it was miles of narrow roads, a nightmare wish I had gone back throu the arch
Very Nice site thou

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Very seldom you will find a low forecourt canopy just have to be aware.

I often use the HGV pumps, particularly if I am towing, the only problem I have experienced is that sometimes the cashier wants you to present a credit card before they will release the pump.

Upvote 0

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
The only problem with our van is that I don't/can't/won't do heights, so she has to get up there and clean the roof.
Apart from that we have never had a problem.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
And I use the lorry pumps, they are faster, often the catch works too, and lorry drivers seem to be much cleaner in their filling habits than many diesel car drivers.
I also use the lorry pumps when I can, no canopy and no snaking around the pumps and the shop.
Also some booths are too close together for a Motorhome to pass through.
However, most lorry pumps won't work unless you hand over a card to the booth operator first.
No need to squeeze the trigger to full extent and yes, I've noticed less spillage

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are 3.2 never had a problem with fuel yet but watch out for sneaky railway bridges in Hamworthy, Poole and Woodyhyde campsite near Swanage. I have seen 2 vans hit the Hamworthy bridge and we almost got caught out with the Woodyhyde bridge :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Amber3

Free Member
Nov 6, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
:LOL::LOL: You know how to pick them, that's one I don't think I would bother with but again whatever you are looking at might be OK, there is a bridge/tunnel going into the field they use for small rallies at York racecourse and that is about 2.9 but there is another way around, no matter what height you are you should be watching out for branches either height or where they are at the side of the road as they can easily damage the side. Over 3 metres is a higher toll class on French motorways if you fancied using them, if it is just a dome or something taking you over you might be OK but for us it is the body of the van that is over the 3 metres so we don't get away with it, no problem though as we don't generally use toll roads and I would not compromise on our choose of van for the sake of a few € in tolls.

Martin

Thank you Martin for the info

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Any advice on height issues would be gratefully received.

Another consideration, if you plan to travel in France and use the Autoroutes, many are toll roads, over 3 mt is Class 3 .. about 50% more than Class 2.

Most tolls are now automated so the height triggers the higher class, but if you can converse in French, press the button for the toll booth control room, ask for Camping Car rate.. which is class 2

Not bothered about France, then it's not an issue.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

http://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
To be fair we use Lorry pumps all the time when we have the trailer on. As we cant always get out from the car pumps, just got to be sensible with the pump trigger as its bigger bore so more volume of fuel.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Another Item that may help put your mind at rest is a Truck sat nav ,my Moho is 2.8 m high and i have it set as such in the Sat nav ,this helps avoid low bridges and narrow lanes(y)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another consideration, if you plan to travel in France and use the Autoroutes, many are toll roads, over 3 mt is Class 3 .. about 50% more than Class 2.

Most tolls are now automated so the height triggers the higher class, but if you can converse in French, press the button for the toll booth control room, ask for Camping Car rate.. which is class 2

I didn't realise there was an official "camping car class" whenever we have asked we have been told we are too tall for a class 2 so class 3 stands and that is with the operator stood with us so can plainly see we are a "camping car".

Martin

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I didn't realise there was an official "camping car class" whenever we have asked we have been told we are too tall for a class 2 so class 3 stands and that is with the operator stood with us so can plainly see we are a "camping car".

Martin

Correct , there isn't, I should have explained it more clearly.. sorry for misleading you.

If class 3 has been triggered by a roof box, antenna, sat dome etc you don't need to pay class 3. For the purposes of the Class, the height is measured from the bare roof line..

Call the control room and ask for class 2 .. they won't be coming out to measure the motorhome, far too busy and don't want a queue.

An antenna? A roof box?
Do not panic, antennas, roof boxes and other accessories (parabola, solar panels ...) are taken into account.

Full explanation here http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/p...tegorie-de-tarifs-pour-votre-camping-car.html

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
One thing not mentioed yet i that when/if you get fuel at the HGV point using a card, the maximum payment is held for the fill. when payment is taken only actual amount spent is taken rest goes back for use on your card. Could leave you overdrawn if you have a low amount available. sometimes takes a few days for the overpayment to be available to spend.
Not explained that very well hope someone else can do better. using non HGV limit is usually £100 or Euros .
We are 3.22 not had any problems, at the few remaining manned tolls we get class 2 not managed to negotiate a class 2 on any of the automated ones though.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
One thing not mentioed yet i that when/if you get fuel at the HGV point using a card, the maximum payment is held for the fill. when payment is taken only actual amount spent is taken rest goes back for use on your card.
I've never had that in the UK ... usually they just ask to hold the card while I'm filling.
I keep an out of date card for this 'cos they don't check, and then when I go to pay say I want to pay on a different card.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Amber3

Free Member
Nov 6, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for all your comments. We've just moved and are off to the Outer Hebrides tomorrow so will have another read through comments on our return.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just filled the van this afternoon at the high delivery HGV pump and no issue, just fills quicker.

98% of the time no issue with our 3.2m height at the gas station.

More of an issue is the unbelievably tight exits at many French supermarket filling stations.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have to agree on the ridiculously tight exits at some supermarket filling stations. There is one I regularly use on the way back to UK (It is I LeClerc....) where I just plan to be there at a less busy time (lunchtime is good and pretty extended in France) and reverse out rather than use the official exit. The Cora supermarket at Coudekerque near the Bergues aire has a sloping canopy, easy to get in but not out.
Most French height barriers with 3M on are quite a bit over, we are a whisker over 3M but have loads of space, just take it slowly in case.

Upvote 0

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp

Thank you for this clarification. Useful information. We are over 3m tall, we live in France, we speak French, so now we'll see what happens when we say camper van "le camping car" is class 2. 50% more for higher class, yikes, that will be pricy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back