Ovens (2 Viewers)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
would use ours if was any use, one of the few disappointments on our current MH, very uneven heat, virtually cold at lower levels

we have reheated a few home cooked meals, but not much else

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
First race van had an oven, second race van told dont think we need an oven & microwave so didn't fit one 3 meetings in "wish we had an oven" :)Motorhome got to have an oven cant cook pasties with out one :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I used the oven a couple of times at home before I started out decided I hated it and didn't like cooking in an oven in Thebus anyway. Haven't used it since and if I could justify the cost I would take it out.

My ideal would be one gas ring, one induction hob, an electric sandwich toaster/pannini press/grill whatever you call them all fitted into the worktop, and a larger microwave which browned. Oh and a decent extractor fan which didn't sound like a small aeroplane getting ready for takeoff.

I do most of my cooking in either a medium sized deep saute pan/frying pan or an extra large wok. Or fire up the onboard genny for a minute, put in a Look What We Found or a meal I have cooked and frozen, set for two minutes and job done.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We have oven and seperate grill and use it all the time except over the summer when prefer to BBQ
Also have microwave which we use off and on
Have slow cooker but never used it yet !!!

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We use ours a lot and on the tick list for a new (to us) MH would be a good oven and grill! The oven and separate grill on our previous van was very good but this one takes ages to heat up and I don't think it ever gets to top heat. Oven chips take up to an hour to cook in it! The separate grill is tiny and two rashers of bacon on it and there is no more room. We have a space that we could use for a microwave but have to say we don't miss it one bit. We have a remoska at home and have yet to take it away with us but being as we are on a site without electric it wouldn't be much good.

Kath

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We use ours a lot and on the tick list for a new (to us) MH would be a good oven and grill! The oven and separate grill on our previous van was very good but this one takes ages to heat up and I don't think it ever gets to top heat. Oven chips take up to an hour to cook in it! The separate grill is tiny and two rashers of bacon on it and there is no more room. We have a space that we could use for a microwave but have to say we don't miss it one bit. We have a remoska at home and have yet to take it away with us but being as we are on a site without electric it wouldn't be much good.

Kath
Is there a reason for not using a frying pan.....griddle type? Can do a full English breakfast in a frying pan!

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ours has a grill not a full sized oven. Never used it though as we like to bbq or use the hob, or bestest is eat out int' pub.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Is there a reason for not using a frying pan.....griddle type? Can do a full English breakfast in a frying pan!

Ah but what about a full Scottish not sure can do haggis in a frying pan !!

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We are now eating continental style breakfasts so no need for grill or frying pan! I do miss bacon butties though :cry:

Kath

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I know somebody, not me of course, who puts chicken in the oven for an hour or so while driving so that it's ready when they get there. It also comes in handy with part baked bread coz foreigners have this annoying habit of arranging their holidays on specific dates instead of adding a Monday to a weekend. I'm told the chicken smells very enticing while driving. I understand they bought a rectangular deep metal pan that exactly fits the oven to stop things being scorched or rocking about.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We are FT and have a gas oven but only really ever use it off hook up. When on sites - use the electric Halogen oven almost every day.
Would always want one though - even if it's only the small one at the top of a tec tower which is common in European vans.
Use the wok for just about everything else(y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We had an oven in the MH and used it a few times to cook croissants out of a tin. The campervan only has a grill which is useless but we just select according to our facilities when shopping for trips away.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
My old van had 2 rings and a grill, I used the grill quite a lot especially for meat but never missed an oven. The current one has an oven and I have used that on a number of occasions. It does give more options on types of food I can cook. I do not have a microwave, I am not on a hookup very often and do not use the one at home that often anyway.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We had an oven in the caravan and hardly ever used it, used the grill more for toast. No oven in the MH and dont really miss it we have a microwave and use it more that we would an oven and a toaster thing for toast.

Maybe we just adapt to use whatever we have or dont have.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How many of you ( excluding full timers) use the oven regularly? Do you think they are worth the weight and the space they take up?
As you can see, the responses to this thread won't give you any hint as to whether YOU would find an oven useful.

I can only suggest you ask yourself "do we use the oven in the kitchen at home a lot?" if the answer is no then don't bother getting one for the MH but if yes, then you might need an oven but if your plan is to live off BBQs and eat out then again don't bother. However, if you like a varied diet, not one pot wonders all the time, then get an oven.

You could also ask yourself how many recipe books do you have? We have whole bookcases groaning under their combined weight and always take some with us in the MH. Needless to say we use our oven a lot!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we were looking for our first motorhome, we were not really fussed about having an oven. The Adria we bought has a smallish one built in, so we used it and were pleasantly surprised. The only problem is it is installed high up and the wife says she can't use it, so I have to do all the oven bits.

However we do not use it for full cooking like roasts and stews, but good for warming stews made from home and ready bought meals. Especially good for M&S Lasagne, which is becoming a regular "first night away" treat. And how are we going to cook our emergency Fray Bentos pie without it?

When abroad we use it for ready bought pizzas and flans as well as warming my croissants.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all your responses. I think oven use depends on lifestyle by and large. I bet most of you eat your main meal at night. At home the oven is used daily....but then again it's an AGA type oven, so no grill, the method is 20% of what you cook is done on the hob. The rest in the oven. So something like rice or potatoes for mash, would be brought to the boil and then popped in the bottom oven to finish.

We have cooked an entire Christmas dinner in a Weber BBQ. Absolutely delicious.

So my next question is.....would a lack of an oven affect the resale of a vehicle?

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
how to cook a FB pie with no oven...........a tip from two New Zealanders MHoming in Switzerland.

Remove lid and then very carefully remove pastry lid. Tip meat contents into saucepan and gently simmer. Put pie crust and lid under grill to cook.

Have never tried it but we're assured it worked really well.

So there you go!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
And how do I use a microwave with no EHU??
Oh, you know the sort of thing... You guys on here are all mechanical geniuses, you can adapt anything!
_41961868_pedalwashing_bbc.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back