TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have you tried checking where the temperature sensor is? On our oven at home after cleaning it I discovered I'd moved the sensor next to the internal light and it was giving false readings. The same principle must surely apply to all ovens, just make sure the sensor isn't too near the flame jets.

The oven in our Bolero is excellent, in fact we usually have to turn the temperature regulator down a bit. If we can get it in, it always cooks properly.

OP
OP
Em and Tim
Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
Since 2003 camping in works vans
I thought I would update this.

We persisted, and, eventually it has started to work much better and get up to good temperatures. It still burns at the back, and not cook so well at the front, but then its a small gas oven, so I would expect that.

I think the answer here is if the previous owner did not use it for years, it may take a good few hours of use before an oven gets up to speed, for whatever reason.

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
We have a Spinflo and have always found it to work very well. We usually put quite a bit of food in it whenever we use it, for example we may cook our evening meal and next days breakfast in the oven to cook, then the sausages etc will just need to be quickly reheated in the morning.

We also get great results from our Cobb if we are running short of gas and can easily cook a full roast for 2 in it.

We also have a Ridge Monkey, I love this bit of kit and there are several Youtube recipes online, obviously it won't replace an oven but you can cook up some very tasty meals with it as well as toasties.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Nothing wrong with our Tec Tower gas oven, we just use any cooking instructions as a rough guide. Everything on the hottest setting until you think it’s done enough. There’s been a few times it’s been too hot though with our method. The thing I dislike is the reduced height available because of the grill.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Our thetford works fine but needs at least 20-30 minutes to get up to temperature, it does make 220C on middle shelf. Took us a long time to work out the warm up time as we were always dissapointed in how raw things were. Now we know its fine.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think ours is Thetford, it works great from high temperature to keeping the takeaway curry warm in the bottom set on low ??

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Dometic oven in our motorhome.

We find it works well enough for our needs but has to be on full heat and takes longer than domestic ovens.

Having said that we wouldn’t be without when away during the cold winter months. Hot, comfort food makes the long evenings much better.

Perhaps we are “unambitious” in our outlook but we don’t expect an oven in a PVC to perform as well as a full size one in our house. “Good enough” is good enough for us.

OP
OP
Em and Tim
Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
Since 2003 camping in works vans
As I said previously, it is getting a lot of use now (we have been full timing since March), and often use it at different settings as it often gets too hot. It's not as good as an electric fan oven, but it will do most things (I've not tried Yorkshire puddings yet mind!).

Regular use does seem to have been the key to improving the performance.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Biggest disappointment when we changed from caravanning to Motorhoming. Always had brilliant results from caravan ovens but have given up with the Motorhome. Now use the oven to store bread or cakes and rely on remoska (or suitcase gas ring for outside cooking) . Have just bought a double skillet but haven’t yet got into using this as a bit nervous as not seen one in use but will perservere!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back