Oven temperature too low (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
Since 2003 camping in works vans
Hi, we are over in France on a long trip in our recently bought euramobil integra which has a rapido oven fitted. The oven does not get above 100 degrees celcius, which makes it near useless (meringues anyone?!). We have a full tank of gas (lpg tank), so it's not that, but I was wondering if anyone has any pointers for what may be the problem, before we start looking towards a dealer to replace/repair it. Thanks in advance. Tim & Em

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Is it a Dometic oven?
If so it’s par for the course.
Biggest load of very expensive junk ever.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We don’t have an oven but when we did it was only probably good for Pizza... we now have a remoska best versatile oven/pan.... well thought of on here...

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I can now see why the good old Moho favourite "all day/night breakfast" is so popular. All done in one frying pan I am told, and for the Cordon Bleu version....just add beans, or when in France "Frites":D
Les
(Slimmers World Area manager)

OP
OP
Em and Tim
Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
Not on sites that often, so, gas is our approach. So the consensus is that all motorhome ovens are a waste of space, or just some brands? Any tips/tricks for making them more efficient?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My smev oven works ok, it just needs longer than you would expect.
Patience will get you there, might be worth checking the seals on the door though if it's not getting hot enough.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not on sites that often, so, gas is our approach. So the consensus is that all motorhome ovens are a waste of space, or just some brands? Any tips/tricks for making them more efficient?
We have a small Dometic Tec Tower oven and find it works OK. Have cooked lasagnes quiches, pizzas and stews in it and heated up other stuff. But it is slower than a proper oven at home and the grill is useless for toast, although it does a reasonable job of browning things like lasagne. I would not want to do a full Sunday roast lunch in it, as it would involve getting up very early! But if we wanted a roast we would go out and find a pub or restaurant, just to avoid all the washing up.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We have a Thetford oven with separate grill. The oven is ok though I have to use the top shelf to cook from raw, the bottom shelf is really only good for warming things. If I remember to take the oven thermometer away with us this time I'll try to check what the actual temperatures are.

My feelings on the grill are 50/50....it does work if you raise the grill pan up closer to the flame but it goes out every time you put the grill pan back in which is a bit annoying. Its nice to be able to make toast, but I haven't yet tried grilling meat under it (not sure I want to deal with the mess!)....so its effectively a rather bulky toaster. We've decided that if we change the MH we definitely want an oven, but we're not too bothered about a grill.

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Our Smev/Dometic oven was useless when we first got the van ,but this last few months it's got worse,we don't bother to use it anymore.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We find the quickest and easiest way of making reasonable toast in the moho is to use a dry non stick frying pan heated up on the hob until it is very hot.
I'm not usually one for scaremongering and I know the science isn't certain, but its not generally considered a good thing to heat empty Teflon non-stick pans until they're very hot because the Teflon starts to deteriorate. Not sure about ceramic non-stick - that might be ok (though I'd be worried about damaging the pan).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not usually one for scaremongering and I know the science isn't certain, but its not generally considered a good thing to heat empty Teflon non-stick pans until they're very hot because the Teflon starts to deteriorate. Not sure about ceramic non-stick - that might be ok (though I'd be worried about damaging the pan).
Never had any problems yet. You need them pretty hot to get the heat indicator in the middle to change to the correct colour anyway.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have never bothered using our Dometic oven, had them in previous motorhomes and found them to be next to useless, so we have a Remoska for when we are on EHU and a Cobb oven for when we aren't.
Always manage excellent results with this setup.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Teflon emits gas that kills birds if overheated, so it cant be good for us!

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
We have a smev oven in our rapido. It does take a while to get hot but we use it all the time. I don't know if this helps but our regulater packed up.on replacing it my wife seemed to think the oven was more efficient and cooked quicker

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Our Smev oven is ok. Just about everything has to be cooked on its highest setting however, which as an estimate is around 180c. Takes a while to get going though.

As above with our Dometic, it just takes longer to cook anything although the grill is OK - ish

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Our Tech Tower Van oven has no grill, only discovered after we had bought it from new, didn't even think about it being an additional "Option"
Having seen so many people making toast by the riverbank, or in their motor homes, we opted for one of these.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=253130166807
It works well and toasts crumpets also.
Next purchase we are think about is a Ridge Monkey, you can do loads of cooking on those apparently.
Anybody got one yet?
Les

OP
OP
Em and Tim
Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
That would be
We have a Thetford oven with separate grill. The oven is ok though I have to use the top shelf to cook from raw, the bottom shelf is really only good for warming things. If I remember to take the oven thermometer away with us this time I'll try to check what the actual temperatures are.

That would be great thanks, it was using an oven thermometer that gave us our 100°C reading. I think that I may try and find some fire rope to fit round the door.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Next purchase we are think about is a Ridge Monkey, you can do loads of cooking on those apparently.
Anybody got one yet?

Yup, great bits of kit. We have got both the smaller one for doing toasties and the bigger one we use mainly for frying things like bacon, eggs and sausages and thing that would normally splatter fat around the kitchen area if they were cooked in the frying pan. (y)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have had several different ovens, American fitted to different campers--- smev---- two different Thetfords and now a big oven/grill by spinflow( model 600 caprice--- country leisure) only had the spinflow for three weeks but it seems really good, and wider than all the others----- both Thetfords were really good but the yanks and smev(dometic) were hopeless for proper roasting etc!!!!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I undetstand you have to preheat the oven. Also, bearing in mind, the gas jet is smaller than the gas oven at home, so will take longer. Took me 2 hours to roast a chickeh lol

OP
OP
Em and Tim
Dec 13, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Euramobil integra 690HB
Exp
I think we have managed to get it to 180 degrees celcius after leaving it on for about half an hour. I a, guessing that's probably as good as it gets then.

At least we have a gas only heater for when the batteries are dead!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think we have managed to get it to 180 degrees celcius after leaving it on for about half an hour. I a, guessing that's probably as good as it gets then.

At least we have a gas only heater for when the batteries are dead!
Only if you have a working CO2 detector ! Perhaps you were joking and missed off the smilie:)
Our Thetford oven only gets hot enough on the top shelf and the grill are above gets hotter ! I have to remove everything from the grill when using the oven.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a full cooker on ours, Spinflo (I think) it is excellent, our previous van was great too, think it was a dometic, Had to put both up to highest temperature to heat up then turn to required, do that with my oven at home too.
Great fan of the remoska though, got 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back