Outside hook up point at home ? (1 Viewer)

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I’ve not yet driven off without unplugging. My old Moho had an alarm that sounded if you started the engine whilst plugged in, but the new one does not. What do Funsters do to ensure they remember to unplug?

Check the mirrors after moving off. If the garage is still there you didn't unplug..

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
this is our outdoor unit, had it for a few years , but can't remember where i purchased it from

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
As I'm sure you all know, for a motorhome/caravan hookup point you need an RCD (30 millamp trip), and also an MCB that is maximum 16 amps and is double-pole.

Double-pole MCBs are actually quite difficult to find, not generally available in DIY stores. They sell only single-pole and 3-pole types.

If you search for Motorhome Fuse Box RCD you find plenty of options on eBay for under £40

They claim to be: "Fitted with 25 Amp Residual Circuit Breaker (RCD) and 10 Amp Double Pole Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB). This gives you maximum security with mains electricity..."

Then outside fit one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-switched-socket-16a-2p-e-250v-6h-ip67/4415f

not pretty but industrial strength and its "Waterproof" to IP44 - which means it can take water splashing against it: Rain, sprinkler or even an accidental garden hose for a few seconds.

In layman's terms the RCD protects you against an electric shock or a faulty appliance, An MCD is an electronic fuse and cuts the power if there's an electrical surge or a short circuit. The RCD protects you, the MCB protects the wiring.

A double pole breaker cuts both live and neutral if there's a fault. This is an over simplified explanation and proper electricians will argue with me - but it illustrates the difference.

I've see a lot of discussion about electrical installations and whether or not you get them checked. If the installation is outside and is hardwired in then its a legal requirement to get a Part P certificate. Yes 95% of the time you won't get caught, won't have a problem, will survive an electric shock - but the rules exist because people die when electrics go wrong.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
I'd get a waterproof 13A socket installed than plug an adaptor into that. More useful for other things then.
This is what I did at my last house, & it was very useful for using other electrics outside.........

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Me too, I have a waterproof 13A socket outside and use an adaptor. However I have an up-and-over garage door so have the cable to the Moho going through the gap above the door to an internal socket. That way it is more difficult to steal the cable. Visiting Moho owners use the external socket, so does my lawnmower.

I’ve not yet driven off without unplugging. My old Moho had an alarm that sounded if you started the engine whilst plugged in, but the new one does not. What do Funsters do to ensure they remember to unplug?

I made a mains lead alarm, with a flashing led on the box. Remove the mains lead when armed, and it sets off an alarm, which also acts as an additional security device, if someone unknown attempts to unplug me. The fact that it is flashing inside the van will always remind me the lead is attached.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I made a mains lead alarm, with a flashing led on the box. Remove the mains lead when armed, and it sets off an alarm, which also acts as an additional security device, if someone unknown attempts to unplug me. The fact that it is flashing inside the van will always remind me the lead is attached.
Good plan, do you have a circuit diagram you could post?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What I did...

I fitted a blue waterproof hook up point on the outside wall.

Cabled it up to a junction box inside fixed tidily out of the way

I took a Cable from said junction box and added a conventional plug to it

When charging I simply plug into the socket.

The socket has built in RCD and the socket also is taken from a fused spur.

It’s all inside the garage section of the annex ...

Seems to be working just fine.

The main reason I asked the question was to find out if the blue plugs and sockets are deemed safe if it rains when it rains..

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I guess a 240v relay that makes a 12v circuit connecting ignition to a buzzer would do it. Buzzer would sound if ignition turned on whilst van 240v was live. Anyone done this?

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
You could always buy a French Mini fuse board with rcd and a range of mcb's all of which will be double poled so in the event of an auto disconnect you are assured both lines are disconnected. But as previously mentioned, unless you take apart appliances still connected in the event of an auto disconnect your risk is minimal and most modern electric appliances are not concerned by reversed polarity on 240V systems ...... I THINK :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The main reason I asked the question was to find out if the blue plugs and sockets are deemed safe if it rains when it rains..
I have a two foot length of orange drainage pipe to join two EHU cables. Orange is easier to see, so there's less chance of someone driving over it. Pass each connector right through, from opposite ends. Give them a half hitch (half Granny) just to keep things together, and connect them up. Then slide the join back into the tube and tighten up to stop it sliding out. Hope that makes sense.
Rogher

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have a two foot length of orange drainage pipe to join two EHU cables. Orange is easier to see, so there's less chance of someone driving over it. Pass each connector right through, from opposite ends. Give them a half hitch (half Granny) just to keep things together, and connect them up. Then slide the join back into the tube and tighten up to stop it sliding out. Hope that makes sense.
Rogher

I’m really struggling to see how that is relevant ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’m really struggling to see how that is relevant ?
That's how I join two 'blue' sockets in a way that protects them from damp better than they would otherwise be.
Granted they are both on the end of a lead, rather than one being fixed to the wall.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The (wall-mounted) sockets are designed to be out in the weather (a bit like the the socket you push into your van). They are inherently safe in the rain but not if a hose is directed at them.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The (wall-mounted) sockets are designed to be out in the weather (a bit like the the socket you push into your van). They are inherently safe in the rain but not if a hose is directed at them.

After taking in the opinions and advice here I mounted the outside hook up point 2 foot off the ground so it’s up away from the ground. I intend to put a splash shield above it to stop direct rain falling onto it which whilst not entirely necessary I think is worth doing (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
After taking in the opinions and advice here I mounted the outside hook up point 2 foot off the ground so it’s up away from the ground. I intend to put a splash shield above it to stop direct rain falling onto it which whilst not entirely necessary I think is worth doing (y)
Sounds good to me (y).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is all that waterproofing really necessary ;)

Through a fortnight of storms and floods this state of the art setup on an aire in Portugal never tripped once :D

PA200210.jpg

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007

Sorry, only just seen this. I used a good double pole key operated switch, mounted in a plastic box, and used a small mains coiled relay, also mounted in the box.
The [fused] positive mains supply and likewise 12v+ supply both feed through the double pole switch, the mains then feeding the coil of the relay, the 12v through a relay contact, then out of the box to a siren/horn/alarm contact or whatever you wish to alert of the mains failure. I looped the 12v to a second contact, using this to feed a 12v flashing led, also mounted on the box.

You can either install permanently and hard-wire in, or use a 240v plug socket for the mains supply and a 12v outlet ditto, and mount the siren so it can be disconnected when not required. When mains power (EHU) is supplied to the vehicle and the unit is switched on the 12v relay supply for the alarm goes open-circuit, and the 12v supply for the flashing led goes closed circuit. Remove the mains lead and the relay shuts the open circuit contacts, feeding the alarm/horn or whatever, setting it off. Quite simple but effective.

I'll try and draw a simple circuit and post it up, in a few days time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back