Outlook Can't send 'New' Emails or reply to incoming Emails (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi everyone,

We're hitting a glitch on Outlook which we use for Emails.

As per the title, when we ask for the template to send a 'New' email, we don't get the template with addressee,CC and BCC. All we get is a blank portion of the screen with 'Send' 'Attach' and 'Discard' on the top line.
Likewise, when I try to reply to an incoming EMail, I do not get the cursor and template to allow me to send the message. I get the three aforementioned words with a blank space underneath.

I have just discovered that if I put Outlook into the 'Beta' format (further over to the right on the Command Line,) it will allow me to start a New message and reply to existing messages.

Is this a case of 'Big Brother' deciding that the way I have been doing things is old hat and I will have to learn a new system or am I being neurotic.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you are using Windows 10, there has been a large update recently, which could be the cause.
One of the best features being in Photo's where a whole new area has been automatically created. If you click on 'People' you will see most of the people as individual photo's, click on one of these and it will reveal every photo in your library of this person; amazing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Are you using Chrome? Have you tried to launch it using IE or Firefox?

Yes I am. I will look but in this day and age it's a bit of a bugger to go back to IE or Firefox. I'll give it a look. Thank you.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you are using Windows 10, there has been a large update recently, which could be the cause.
One of the best features being in Photo's where a whole new area has been automatically created. If you click on 'People' you will see most of the people as individual photo's, click on one of these and it will reveal every photo in your library of this person; amazing!

Thanks for that. It's a bit like "We can send men to the Moon but we can't send emails"

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
could not log on outlook on phone but ok on laptop, had similar problem a few wekks ago but righted itself

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Now back home using the house to provide the wifi and it's still the same. Can't send or reply to messages without using Beta.
@peterc10 I'm sorry but your question beyond my tech. ability. I open the laptop, Hotmail(Outlook is on the Command line (I put it there as a Fav.) and click and open. Other than that I cannot answer you.
I will go into the back room and crank up the steam driven towr that is still running on XP. If that's the same as this ........

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If your laptop is running Windows 10 and you have not physically bought a copy of Outlook (either for download as a one off purchase or, because mine is so old, on a CD) you will probably be using the web based version of Outlook that is run through your Microsoft account. So little or no data is stored on your laptop, it is all in the cloud. In that case I can't offer any useful advice as that is very different to my version.

But just a late thought. I think you have to pay annually for Microsoft's cloud based versions of their office software (Word, Excel, Outlook etc), with the first year being free. Has your subscription for them run out?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Are you using one of the Office 2007 versions of Outlook? I am, in Windows 8.1.

Extended support for Office 2007 has finished, so crankiness can be expected - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3198497/office-2007-approaching-end-of-extended-support

It's only a matter of time before I'll have to switch to something else.
Not sure if this was aimed at me. If it was I am on Office 2007 and had not realised support had run out. Mind you I rarely if ever use support as such. At the moment my Office 2007 stuff, including Word, Excel and Outlook are working just fine. If I do change I would not go for any of the Office 365 products (including Outlook 365), which you pay for yearly and which rely on you having internet access to be able to work, and to store your information. That is not always the case in the way that I use it. I suspect I would look at getting one of their competitors products, like the Office suite developed by Softmaker.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If your laptop is running Windows 10 and you have not physically bought a copy of Outlook (either for download as a one off purchase or, because mine is so old, on a CD) you will probably be using the web based version of Outlook that is run through your Microsoft account. So little or no data is stored on your laptop, it is all in the cloud. In that case I can't offer any useful advice as that is very different to my version.

But just a late thought. I think you have to pay annually for Microsoft's cloud based versions of their office software (Word, Excel, Outlook etc), with the first year being free. Has your subscription for them run out?

Thanks form that @peterc10 . That has cleared that up in my befuddled mind. No, I haven't bought Outlook as a sep. entity. Therefore, as you say, I am using Microsoft's version.

Even curiouser, when I got home and started up the ancient tower system there, initially it refused to even allow me to enter the 'Outlook/Hotmail' facility.

After a time I have just tried again, got on and lo and behold, it will allow me to send New EMails and reply to existing ones. As previously stated, this old thing (No. Not the wife!!!) is running (or not)on XP, so it would appear that the problem lies with the Windows 10 system, or have I got that theory horribly wrong.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks form that @peterc10 . That has cleared that up in my befuddled mind. No, I haven't bought Outlook as a sep. entity. Therefore, as you say, I am using Microsoft's version.

Even curiouser, when I got home and started up the ancient tower system there, initially it refused to even allow me to enter the 'Outlook/Hotmail' facility.

After a time I have just tried again, got on and lo and behold, it will allow me to send New EMails and reply to existing ones. As previously stated, this old thing (No. Not the wife!!!) is running (or not)on XP, so it would appear that the problem lies with the Windows 10 system, or have I got that theory horribly wrong.
All versions of Outlook are from Microsoft. But it is whether you are using the online or offline version. I suspect that you are using the online version and your Office subscription has run out. You are supposed to pay per year or per month. I think many new computers come with one year's free subscription. Did you get the new computer about a year ago?

My Outlook 2007 is running fine with Windows 10. If the problem was between the new Outlook and Windows 10 I suspect that there would have been news of it by now!

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For some reason I currently can't log on to Outlook through Thunderbird, won't accept my password. This is on my laptop as I'm now on our winter break. Have had this happen before and eventually had to change the password.

I'm using Windows 10 but it's not yet done the "big" update, which I shall delay until I return home.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
All versions of Outlook are from Microsoft. But it is whether you are using the online or offline version. I suspect that you are using the online version and your Office subscription has run out. You are supposed to pay per year or per month. I think many new computers come with one year's free subscription. Did you get the new computer about a year ago?

My Outlook 2007 is running fine with Windows 10. If the problem was between the new Outlook and Windows 10 I suspect that there would have been news of it by now!

Nope. Had the 'puter for 2 yrs now and it's never had any copy of Office. In fact ever since I've had it I'm regularly bombarded with invitations to get it.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Nope. Had the 'puter for 2 yrs now and it's never had any copy of Office. In fact ever since I've had it I'm regularly bombarded with invitations to get it.
The plot thickens. So where did you get Outlook from? It is not part part of Windows. It can only be purchased as part of an MS Office suite bundle. Are you sure it is Outlook you are using and not Microsoft Mail, which is the email client that is bundled with Windows 10 (and previous versions of Windows).

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
the Office 365 products (including Outlook 365), which you pay for yearly and which rely on you having internet access to be able to work, and to store your information
I'm no fan of Microsoft but I do use Office 365. It is not necessary to be on line to use the applications or store data/documents, although you are required to connect periodically. This is from the 365 website:

"Is Internet access required for Office 365?

Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Office 365 subscription plans. For Office 365 plans, Internet access is also needed to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office on other PCs or to change billing options. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app. You should also connect to the Internet regularly to keep your version of Office up to date and benefit from automatic upgrades. If you do not connect to the Internet at least every 39 days, your applications will go into reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print your documents, but cannot edit the documents or create new ones. To reactivate your Office applications, reconnect to the Internet. You do not need to be connected to the Internet to use the Office applications, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, because the applications are fully installed on your computer."

Hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've 'outlook',not that I wanted it, & I don't/never have paid ? Used to be hotmail.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Abracadabra!!!

If this is an example of Karma for 2018 it should be a good year!!!

Got home from New Years Eve shenanigans and last evening a box 'popped' up on the screen telling me there was an update for Windows.

Got it going and lo and behold, I've got the screens back. All fully functioning.

Many thanks to all contributors.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The plot thickens. So where did you get Outlook from? It is not part part of Windows. It can only be purchased as part of an MS Office suite bundle. Are you sure it is Outlook you are using and not Microsoft Mail, which is the email client that is bundled with Windows 10 (and previous versions of Windows).

I was using (and still am) Hotmail for sending and receiving EMails. This apparently was taken over by Outlook (Microsoft) years ago and I just carried on using it. The burgeoning takeover of smaller players had me flummoxed as I didn't know, and probably still don't, LOL who owns what. I continue to use Outlook or whatever it's called.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thought it was my puter.... I am the same...

Cannot return a PM/conversation..

Have to start a new one...

And I am on the old Windows .. (8 is it?) with outlook being my email thingy..

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was using (and still am) Hotmail for sending and receiving EMails. This apparently was taken over by Outlook (Microsoft) years ago and I just carried on using it. The burgeoning takeover of smaller players had me flummoxed as I didn't know, and probably still don't, LOL who owns what. I continue to use Outlook or whatever it's called.
Right. I think we have been at cross purposes, in that you do not have the "full" version Outlook I am referring to, which actually downloads and stores emails and attachments onto the computer, as well as running your diary and contacts, and has always been a paid for app as part of Microsoft's Office suite. I suspect yours is the "light" version which, I think, acts just as a remote email reader, rather than storing the emails on the computer. On Windows 10 I think it is just called "Mail" and comes free with it. It acts in a similar way to the email apps you can get for Android and Ios devices. I may be wrong on that, but, either way, I have run out of help I am afraid because I have never used that version and don't know much about it.

Sorry to have wasted your time :(

Glad to see that it is now sorted though. I have set Windows to automatically download and install updates, so get them as soon as they are out. To date (year and a half) it has not caused me any problems, touch wood!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back