LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We are in South Harris just now. We are coming down the way to end up on Barra. Eilean Fraoich campsite in Shawbost is a good full facility site if you get to Lewis. We have just spent 2 nights at Hushinis site which has 2 separate areas. The main part has parking with a new toilet and shower block with a viewing room. This is where the CDP unit is as well as fresh water. Further back up the hill is a 5 van parking area with EHU. It is an honestly box setup. The road there is a 14 mile 45 minutes journey, very interesting.
We are now sitting in a parking spot with the West Harris Trust which is on the way to Luskentyre, right beside the beach, GREAT!!!

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
.....and shower block with a viewing room.....,.
Wow. Times have changed in the Utter Hebrides :rolleyes:

Think we’re going over there mid May too. Not quite finalised plans yet ....... it will be Lewis and Harris or Orkney depeoon how the weather forecast goes ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have found this site very handy when visiting the Outer Hebrides........

https://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/visitor-info/facilities/toilets

There are several Chemical Disposal Points on the Islands so perhaps an opportune time to mention that if Public Toilets request that you don't use them for emptying cassettes then PLEASE DON'T (rant over:whistle::whistle:)

Tarbert on Harris, just up from the ferry terminal, has a dedicated service point within the recycling centre.(see map below) I think it cost ÂŁ4 to empty cassettes and grey water and fill up with fresh.
Can't remember if it has a drive over grey water drain as we always bucket ours away.

20190430_161516.jpg

We were at Stoer Lighthouse a couple of weeks ago where there is a WC that claims to be the most remote WC in the UK and it was closed with a notice on it citing that

" It has had to be closed due to the number of campervans emptying their chemical toilets and disabling the Septic System"

Barry

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
" It has had to be closed due to the number of campervans emptying their chemical toilets and disabling the Septic System"
Forgive the pun , only ars*wipes do this. Another reason we get almost demonised.
John

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Sorry for the late reply, wifi is very hit and miss. Hushinis was busy on the Saturday but only 2 vans on the main area overnight as the wind was blowing straight off the beach. 4 vans at the 5 van site which was a bit more sheltered. Managed to follow 2 Golden eagles as we were walking back up from the main parking. There is a catering van at the main site now, probably Monday to Saturday.
We are now sitting at Balranald site on North Lewis, which is excellent.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I'm really glad to have found this thread as Mrs RA has suddenly suggested the Outer Hebridies for very-late May/Early June. We will probably take 7 days to get from Oban (Barra) to Ullapool (Lewis) but, of course, freedom is the word!

The website highlighted by @namwaldog is especially helpful: thanks.

Are there any "must see" or "avoid" things to do in a limited time, please?

Gordon

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Dog friendly places found so far.
Kildonan Cafe at the museum and craft shop.
Post office and cafe just before Uist Wool,great wee place with everything freshly made.
Macroons cafe in the post office in Castlebay on Barra.
AM Politician on Eriskey. Very dog friendly with great food and atmosphere.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Dog friendly places found so far.
Kildonan Cafe at the museum and craft shop.
Post office and cafe just before Uist Wool,great wee place with everything freshly made.
Macroons cafe in the post office in Castlebay on Barra.
AM Politician on Eriskey. Very dog friendly with great food and atmosphere.

Thank you very much. The first two are noted. We are only on Harris and Lewis this trip(y)

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Lews castle in Stornoway has an outdoor courtyard at the cafe as dogs are not allowed inside. There is another cafe in the grounds called Woodland, I think, but not sure what the setup is for dogs.
There is a bike repair and hire shop that has a cafe which I am sure is dog friendly that is just up the road from the entrance road to the castle.
Cafe Solas at point of Ness only allows dogs on the outdoor seating area, not inside. It is very good for meals.
Try asking the tourist information office as they are very helpful and friendly.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Lews castle in Stornoway has an outdoor courtyard at the cafe as dogs are not allowed inside. There is another cafe in the grounds called Woodland, I think, but not sure what the setup is for dogs.
There is a bike repair and hire shop that has a cafe which I am sure is dog friendly that is just up the road from the entrance road to the castle.
Cafe Solas at point of Ness only allows dogs on the outdoor seating area, not inside. It is very good for meals.
Try asking the tourist information office as they are very helpful and friendly.
Thank you- our friends found somewhere around Lews castle - seating with dogs outside. Hopeless in the weather we are having tonight. A bit wet and windy on Lewis.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@Stagman Where are you now? We were parked just outside Stornoway last night too.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We are now sitting on the overnight camping pitches at Lower Shader so we can recharge ready to park up tomorrow before catching the early ferry on Friday. Hope to park up along from the terminal.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
@Stagman Where are you now? We were parked just outside Stornoway last night too.
Oops just read this now- sorry:(
On the 22nd we were near loch seaforth overnight. Had zero signal. The night before we were somewhere near Dun Carloway Broch. Was a bit of a challenge getting two 7plus metre motorhomes parked together anywhere

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We had terrible trouble with phone signal throughout the Hebrides. Some places we only had emergency cover. Best signal was while parked up overnight in one of the parking spots on the way to Luskentyre ( full 4g ) . Even logging on to wifi on some sites was poor.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We're currently spending one night at Laxdale (3rd campsite in 3 weeks) with 4G and pretty good WiFi.

4G seems common all over Stornoway and at several places along the E coast, although we haven't been keeping count.

Last week we had a night at Kneep, with 4G, and 2 nights at Cliff [1 mile away] with nothing. Climb the hill and get the signal!

Gordon

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Poor signal strength is a fact of life in rural Scotland, that's why my wife and I are on different networks and I have a third phone on another. Vodafone is reckoned to be the best though still not very good.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Good thread (y)
We are making our way to Harris and Lewis for the first time in a couple of weeks. The standing stones and black house are on my list are there many castles or other interesting spots not to be missed, inbetween the beaches and scenery ?
My planning list has got as far as the Skye ferry over so far, but will add some of the good info on here thanks :)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Got 8 days once there to hopefully do Lewis down to barra i read the main isle is only 36 miles long but obviously will be longer on the meandering roads so hope to fit a lot in 8 days.
Are there lots of wild stops ? Will avoid fragile ground and leave no trace etc but appart from a few official designated spots I've not found many others yet.

The Cricketers

Free Member
Oct 9, 2013
Nr Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Plenty of wild stops, but if you fancy something more organised check out these which we thought were the best sites in the islands - Borve, Balranald, Huisinis and Vartesay community centre
Beware, when we went in May, we thought we wouldn't have to book anything, but after waiting a day and a half to get on the Barra - Eriskay ferry, we booked everything after that.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You should be ok for the ferries going from Harris down to Barra as the main volume of people are going north if they are doing the Hebridean Way. If you have 8 days to go right down you will miss a lot of places. We had 5 weeks and still have lots to see.
Uig sands has hard standing area to park which also has a unit with toilets, shower, washing up, fresh water, CDP point. This is all by donation as it’s owned by the local grazing community. Very good, plus the huge beach area is right behind the parking area. While in the area there is a beach on the way to Reef beach which has overnight parking overlooking the beach, nothing provided but still donations. Great for watching the surfers. Lower Shader is an overnight parking facility on the way north to Point of Ness, but it is more like a mini site as the facilities they have are on a par with some sites. Very friendly owners as well.
When you get over to Berneray there’s a huge area to overnight at East Beach.
On North Uist at Clachtoll beach there’s good overnight space, it has a donation box as the local farmers have put in a water tap and a waste skip. No toilet empty point.
Balranald campsite is great but you will need to book to get in. If not there is a camping spot just further on at ÂŁ5 per night which is sign posted.
I will need to check our travel log for other information.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Uig sands has hard standing area to park which also has a unit with toilets, shower, washing up, fresh water, CDP point. This is all by donation as it’s owned by the local grazing community.
I'd second that.. absolutely beautiful park up..
It's a donation box in the wash room and they ask for ÂŁ15 for a motorhome..
20190523_185603.jpg

The sands

20190523_185630.jpg

Not to far away if you fancy something a bit less formal.

The little beach at cliff.. ÂŁ5 donation with no no facilities

20190524_110259.jpg

The bay at cliff

20190524_110013.jpg

There's also the site at kneep or cnip as they spell it..
One I intend going back to..
It's seasonal but I had a word with the owner and he said just give him a call?

20190524_121352.jpg

It's a lovely setting..

20190524_112046.jpg

Andy..

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Got Skye ferry from Uig to Tarbert Sunday stayed at Laxdale site in Stornaway on Lewis ok for a night stop on way to the black house and Callanais stones on Monday. then a night at a cracking spot on west Harris at Horgabost next to a beautiful beach. Then down to a ferry over to North Uist today currently in Barnarald site, a nice place near beach. Off towards Shell bay tomorrow hoping there's time to nip over to Barra before working way back up to Tarbert ferry Sunday.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Are you stopping on Eriskey for a look around, it's definitely worth it. The village shop has a very small cafe area and gift shop. The pub, the AM Politician also does good coffee as well as meals, it's also very friendly.
On Barra are you going to the airport. The no 2 campsite is past there at the end of the road. Small, but the owners are very friendly.
Vattersay is a great place to visit, you can park up next to the village hall & cafe overnight. It has toilets, showers, fresh water, but no CDP point. Honestly box payments. The cafe is really good.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Are you stopping on Eriskey for a look around, it's definitely worth it. The village shop has a very small cafe area and gift shop. The pub, the AM Politician also does good coffee as well as meals, it's also very friendly.
On Barra are you going to the airport. The no 2 campsite is past there at the end of the road. Small, but the owners are very friendly.
Vattersay is a great place to visit, you can park up next to the village hall & cafe overnight. It has toilets, showers, fresh water, but no CDP point. Honestly box payments. The cafe is really good.

We drove down and had a wander about there are some nice spots down there but we decided to skip Barra this time to cut down on the stop over hunting every evening and have more time to just enjoy the places we find interesting. We Stopped for some smokies and other delicacies on the way back up to Barnarald again where we will base camp and wander from this week as it's got a nice beach and dog walks etc so it will do unless we come across more really good wild spots down this way.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Balranald is a good place to base yourself as you can walk from one beach to the next very easily.
If you haven't bought the Harris Gin yet you can order it online and pick it up at Bayview stores when you pass on your trips round about.
Just before Uist Wool there is a great community cafe in an old school building. They grow some of their own vegetables out the back and everything is freshly made.
There is a good wild spot at Clachan Sands which has a fresh water tap and a rubbish skip. This is on the way to Berneray.

Deleted User
If you are fan of the old film 'Whisky Galore', the AM Politician pub is named after the ship which ran aground on which the story is based. In the film the name was changed to the SS Cabinet Minister. The pub still has some of the original whisky bottles, unfortunately they are empty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back