Outer Hebrides beware. (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi all, just returned from our hop scotch tour. Blown away in Barra, the uists and Harris and Lewis but sunny and very enjoyable.
However, we had a mishap on our second night on Barra, I noticed that no heating was in the M/H and steam appeared. Panic!!!! Water pump went nonstop, would not switch off. Used battery master switch to turn off. Out with the tool kit looking at the the combi heater unit the problem was found a burst hot water pipe. Why had this happen? This was quickly found, below the trauma combi unit there is a manifold with ducting directing hot air around the M/H, the one for the front of the M/H had come out of its socket, therefore directing the hot air straight on to the hot water tube. This caused a blister which had burst. Thinking cap on no heating force 5 gale blowing. Cut the the damaged tube out and piece of reinforce hose pipe and jubilee clipped into place. Power on it worked with cold water but was blistering with the 30psi pump. Backup 9x2ltr water bottles and kettle.
No M/H assistance available on Barra except very helpful site owners.
Off to South Uist late Friday on to site notice Builders merchant on the way.
Saturday morning first port of call builders merchant to see if ( fingers crossed) if they had any 12 mm pushin fittings. No luck, however in discussion with the owner I mensioned my temporary fit would not stand the pressure, we went to his HGV garage, as lorries use hypressure pushin fittings on there braking systems. He found 2 fittings which were 12mm, jumps for joy asked how much one would be. Nothing he said that size it not used on modern trucks. How helpful was that you find help in the strangest places, we felt very lucky. After the day out back to camp tube cut push fit connected, heat and hot water. I hope this is helpful to other members.

After carrying out the repair I was discussing with a fellow Motorhomer he had a converted VW. He had, had a blow out, the AA had come out and there was a problem with the spare. New tyres had to be ordered from INVERNESS the only place with them in stock and taxied to site in Uist, he had been waiting 2 days and was expecting them on the Monday.
He asked the AA if it had happened on Barra he staited that it would take him 1 to 3 days to get there depending on ferries and time of year ( no garages on Barra) and tyres !!! That depended on where the tyres were coming from.
Another Motorhomer did not carry a spare? So do you have a spare in good condition? Next time you go off the beaten track.
So from now I carry 12mm tube and push in fittings the do not cost much but they could!!!! and a spare wheel.
Hopes this helps some one, please do not be put off going to the Outer Hebrideis.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you have to be stuck somewhere I reckon I might pick the western isles :)(y)

glad you got sorted though

another basic issue is LPG, we couldn't find any, in fairness we didn't look till we needed it, Stornoway options both out of action when we were there last year o_O

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I fancy getting stuck there : a crafty way to get some extra holiday :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back