Outdoor chair recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The folding chairs that we have been using have now had it, so we are looking to replace them. A friend recommended Lafuma and they do look very nice but their prices seem to be between £100 and £200 each. This is rather more than we wanted to pay, although we are prepared to if these really are the ones to have. The May edition of the CMC magazine arrived today and I am quite tempted by the Quest Elite Performace chairs which are advertised at £49.99 each, with a 10% discount for buying two, which is all we need. What do you good folk recommend? A major consideration is that they need to be capable of bearing my 19 stones!

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi, we too are looking at the Quest elite range having sampled them many times.

I can't see the ones that we are interested in for much less than £60 each.
I have found these at a good price but would prefer these

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Isabella. worth every penny. but essential to try before you buy as I have found out to my cost!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have had an Outwell Catamarca XL which will take up to 150KG's for several years and is holding up well, and they are very reasonably priced.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The Lafuma reclining chairs are really comfy. We have them at home but they are too heavy and bulky to carry in MH as only have under bed storage for the ones that fold up into a cylindrical bag.
The only drawback to these sort of recliners, and it applies to all of this type, is that it is more awkward to sit down and get up as you cannot get your feet back beneath your weight due to the footrest.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Lafumas are expensive but they are the best. We've had a pair for 2 years and can't fault them

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

The advert in the CMC magazine (on page 5 by the way, for those who are members) is by Capital Outdoors. If you visit their website, it appears that the ones in the advert at £49.99 each are the "Recline" version with steel frame. There is also an aluminium "Comfort" version at £72.99 each. So £60.00 each is either a better or a worse price depending upon the version! Free delivery, which makes a pleasant change.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I have had an Outwell Catamarca XL which will take up to 150KG's for several years and is holding up well, and they are very reasonably priced.

Yes, I have 2 of these and would recommend them, strong and comfy!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Dukdalf chairs are strong & well built but not widely available. Had to trim the bottom of the legs off my Dukdalf Dynamic as too high so worth checking seat heights!

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Had Lafuma recliners for several years. Top quality and very comfortable. Decided last year that we would replace them and keep the Lafumas at home. By chance came across the new Isabella range. Have two of their recliners and we both agree they're better than the Lafumas. Like the Lafumas they are well built and strong and also not heavy to move around and transport. Only downside is both makes are expensive but shopping around there are some good offers. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend either brand.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

We have 4 of The Westfield Avantgarde, and 2 leg supports. They are very comfortable, flexible to use, and lightweight. We can sit for hours without back ache that some previous chairs gave us.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Isabella. worth every penny. but essential to try before you buy as I have found out to my cost!

I like the look of these. Without wishing to intrude on personal grief, may I enquire what it was that you discovered to your cost? My concerns, apart from the usual ones about comfort, price and durability, are that they should be both big enough and sturdy enough to cope with my ample frame!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've had a set of 4 Dukdalf chairs for over 12 years and they are still going strong. When my wife and I split, I gave a pair of the chairs to my parents and I kept the other two. They are upright enough to sit and eat at a table, but recline into a more comfortable position by lifting the chair arms and using notches.

I also have a Lafuma recliner, with a small 'clip on' table, which for sheer comfort, lounging around reading and listening to music in the sun, beats the Dukdalf hands down. Mine isn't vertical enough to sit and eat from at a table, which in that respect makes the Dukdalf a better buy.

If you do go down the Lafuma route, be warned that their bespoke navy coloured fitted towel is rubbish. After only a few days of use, the deep blue turned to a horrible patchy brown and I regularly have to dye it to keep it looking reasonable. I don't know how the other colours last in the sun.
I did have the original replaced, but the replacement was just the same.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Quest Comfort Folding Chair Sage Padded Head Rest & Soft Arms

We bought these on Amazon at £39 each and they are really good

41c5U7D3oHL._SY90_.jpg

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I like the look of these. Without wishing to intrude on personal grief, may I enquire what it was that you discovered to your cost? My concerns, apart from the usual ones about comfort, price and durability, are that they should be both big enough and sturdy enough to cope with my ample frame!
we tried a few , buying online, and were disappointed with a couple of different types. zero gravity for one. The Isabella is strong , light, and with the footrest extension, great for lounging or sitting at the table. I cant fault them.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.jpeg
Hi @Stretto Boy, we had Lafuma chairs, paid a lot for them, but twice the seams split and we had to have them repaired, very disappointed, so we bought 2 quest chairs 18months ago, very comfortable, easy to use, we prefer them to the Lafuma we had, so having had both I'd say go for the Quest.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I have gambled a bit by not following Cranky's advice to try before I buy : hope I don't live to regret it. :sick: The company I have ordered from is only about 25 miles away so if necessary I can exercise my rights under the Distance Selling Regulations and return them in person, if this is cheaper than using a courier. After a bit of soul-searching, I opted for the Westfield Avantgarde because they are one of the few that can accommodate my bulk! :) Thanks again all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back