peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We decided to stay another night at Foz do Arelho. The Aire and beach were a lot quieter after all the weekenders had left. Weather was good and I managed to get myself sunburnt.

Weather in Portugal was forecast to change so today we headed East and are now at the Aire at Barragem de Povoa. Now I know everybody raves over this but we are a bit disappointed. Very nice spot overlooking the lake but...... Flat spots are hard to come by and all the good spots were taken.

And there are two German motorhoming couples who think it is OK to let there dogs (2 each) run loose. The result is the peace has been spoilt by them running around and barking especially when they meet other dogs that considerate owners have on a lead. And everytime the herons come to feed by the lakeside they are off chasing them and barking, so that we have had few opportunities to look at these close up.

And to top it all this evening one couple left their 2 dogs in the motorhome while they went and drank with the other couple. The result is whinong and barking coming from the motorhome that can be heard from 50 yards away and has been ignored by the owners. We have nothing against dogs, there have been plenty we have seen on this trip. It is just inconsiderate owners!

I think we may only be staying here for one night!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well we have been having some more fun.

For the last 3 days or so the weather in Portugal has been very British. Rain, sunshine and cloudy all within 5 minutes. We left the Barragem de Povoa on Wednesday and continued heading North slowly. The weather was awful and most of the journey was in heavy rain. Finally arrived at Barril de Alva weary. The Aire is nice and the food looked very good and home made. A 3 course meal for only €6. But there is not a lot to do there in the rain! So reluctantly left there on Thursday as the weather did not look like it was improving.

We traced our steps back to Coimbra and stopped at the Aire just over the river from the main city. Thanks @JJ for that recommendation. Beautiful old University city that we instantly liked. Walked around with coats and umbrellas against the showers. Thoroughly enjoyed it and was impressed with the old University you could visit (at a price).

The Aire was also nice ........ but then the "fun" started. We had been hearing a band practice at another part of the park but it all went quiet at about 8pm so thought nothing of it. But the music started up again just as we were getting to sleep at 11, and boy was it loud! Real thumping bass. We thought it would stop by 1am, but at that time it was chaos in the Aire with cars turning up and groups of people heading towards the venue. We then realised that it was going to be an all nighter, so we would get no sleep. Have since realised that Thursday was the last day of exams so they were partying all night.

Decided to try to find something quieter for the night! So out we drove. First time I have ever driven in pyjamas. Drove for half an hour and arrived at a peaceful Aire at Sanghalos and finally got our heads down at 2:30am.

Just up now and waiting for Angela to wake up and then decide where next. The weather is still not looking good and we had some more heavy rain overnight.

Deleted User
They do seem to like partying atthat
Well we have been having some more fun.

For the last 3 days or so the weather in Portugal has been very British. Rain, sunshine and cloudy all within 5 minutes. We left the Barragem de Povoa on Wednesday and continued heading North slowly. The weather was awful and most of the journey was in heavy rain. Finally arrived at Barril de Alva weary. The Aire is nice and the food looked very good and home made. A 3 course meal for only €6. But there is not a lot to do there in the rain! So reluctantly left there on Thursday as the weather did not look like it was improving.

We traced our steps back to Coimbra and stopped at the Aire just over the river from the main city. Thanks @JJ for that recommendation. Beautiful old University city that we instantly liked. Walked around with coats and umbrellas against the showers. Thoroughly enjoyed it and was impressed with the old University you could visit (at a price).

The Aire was also nice ........ but then the "fun" started. We had been hearing a band practice at another part of the park but it all went quiet at about 8pm so thought nothing of it. But the music started up again just as we were getting to sleep at 11, and boy was it loud! Real thumping bass. We thought it would stop by 1am, but at that time it was chaos in the Aire with cars turning up and groups of people heading towards the venue. We then realised that it was going to be an all nighter, so we would get no sleep. Have since realised that Thursday was the last day of exams so they were partying all night.

Decided to try to find something quieter for the night! So out we drove. First time I have ever driven in pyjamas. Drove for half an hour and arrived at a peaceful Aire at Sanghalos and finally got our heads down at 2:30am.

Just up now and waiting for Angela to wake up and then decide where next. The weather is still not looking good and we had some more heavy rain overnight.

They do seem to like partying at that University, a few years ago some friends stayed at the car park at Pedras del Rei behind which is a large holiday complex. We visited them in the afternoon and the complex had been taken over by students from Coimbra, testing of the sound system was going on and some students starting early for the eventual all night festivities.....we had retired to our peaceful prison camp at Cabanas by the time things really got started.:)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh well Peter. You live and LEARN. At that place. I take it you did not like the music.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Hi Peter just left Puerto de Santa Marie again :) now at the aire at Castro Marim. Weather not been as bad as forecast just hit a couple of heavy showers on the way. Slow drive up to Mazaron then across to Lisbon and back down to the Algarve to meet brother. Great advice you've been getting and great for us as well.

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Looks like the weather will.improve on Tuesday. Just on our way to Portsmouth for the 5.00 Ferry!!!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It is a very special weekend... ;)

You should have joined in! (y)

Are you going to see the Pope in Fatima?

JJ :cool:
Wondered why there were so many caped vampires earlier in the day, now I know why. They have to wear them for their exams.

Didn't join in cos I am a miserable old git. Baaa humbug and all that. And I did to many all nighters in my yoof to enjoy them now.

The pope is coming to see me not the other way round. Where is Fatima anyway? Hope it is nowhere near Santiago de Compostella which is where I am heading next.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well the weather in Portugal is still changeable.

We left late this morning because of last night's fun and headed towards Porto. We decided to stay at the Aire at Parque Biologico de Gaia (campercontact No 11641) and use the bus to get into Porto. When we got there we were very impressed with it. Better than any of the campsites we have stayed in with a reasonable side pitch surrounded by hedges and green areas. It was expensive for an Aire (15 Euros include all services and electrics) but thought it was worth it.

It turns out the place is a wildlife park, ecological area and zoo rolled into one and the cost includes access into the grounds. So we decided not to bother with Porto and stay there. Had a nice lunch in their restaurant (no GTB as it was only 17 Euros for 3 courses each, a drink each and coffees) and then had a stroll through the park which we found very interesting. Lots of things to see and some guidance and context on what you were looking at in English. Some interesting things about invasive plant and animal species as well. And to top it all I saw my first ever red squirrel in the wild, as much of what was on display was not in cages at all, but just native to the area. I can thoroughly recommend this Aire and the park itself and the busses to and from Porto appear to be frequent, although we did not actually use them.

The plan at present is that tomorrow we go to Santiago de Compostello, but there is plenty of time for that to change, especially now I have heard that the Pope is not meeting me there after all.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
You left to early Peter, sunny with clouds no rain :) got to Castro Marim to find (very good) market next day so aire closed,
IMG_20170513_092717.jpg
stayed the night just up the road moved on midday to Mertola to find stage etc set up where we were going to park, festival 18th-24th
IMG_20170513_135901.jpg
managed to get over it by sampling the local black pork and wine :)
Keep posting enjoying your travels

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It appears that we went to the wrong part of the Iberian peninsular as far as good weather is concerned.

We left Porto early on Saturday morning and headed for Santiago de Compostella. Got there at lunch time and parked up at the big Aire close to the centre. Caught a bus in to have a look around. I am afraid that the weather turned increasingly cold wet and windy and after a couple of hours or so we were both soaked and cold. I expect it is a nice city in good weather but ........ So caught bus back and spent the evening reading and drying out, and listening to the by now very heavy rain drumming on the roof.

On Sunday we left early, before the attendant arrived, because they had left the exit barrier up. Several others did too. Must admit we were not sad to see the back of it.

We now have to hurry home. So we drove along the North Coast of Spain, and immediately the weather improved. Turned off of the motorway for a while and looked at some of the beautiful pristine sandy beaches, reminded us of some of the beaches on the North Coast of Scotland. Very impressed with what we saw and wished we had left enough time to explore the area, but that will have to wait for another visit.

Finally stopped at the Aire at the wildlife Park and Cabarceno near Santander (campercontact 6016). The free Aire was nothing special, but the views across the park were good, although they were not directly from the Aire, as some have suggested.

Another early start on Monday saw us on the motorway and heading to France. Decided to continue paying the tolls and stuck to the motorway once we crossed the border. For once Bordeaux was an easy transit, much better than when we came down. Finally stopped in an Aire at Celles sur Belle near Niort (campercontact 1670). Nice little old town with an impressive Chateau. They were doing some work in the Aire but we managed to park OK and had a quiet night.

Today we had another long drive on the motorways and are now on one of our favourite Aires, at La Mailleraye sur Seine. So had a nice relaxed evening watching the river and the boats, although not many of the latter this time. Tomorrow we are booked on the 13:50 shuttle train and should be home by late afternoon ............

And so the adventure ends, until the next time.

Thanks for all of you who have read this thread and added your own comments.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoyed read thanks Peter, think that your journey home in 3 days would leave me needing another holiday though :)(y)
It was my own fault. We just wanted to see a bit too much and left it almost too late to start really heading North. Thinking about it I should have not bothered with Porto and Santiago and just made my way home in a more leisurely fashion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back