peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We decided to move on this morning. The trouble was that it was market day and the road in and out was closed because the market was on it. You would think that the site would have warned us but they didn't so got down there and had to turn round accompanied by much tooting of horns. The sat nav then took me all through the very old narrow streets of the town which were packed with cars and people. We had to breath in several times to get through. So that was a fretful start to the day.

Journey afterwards was OK except for getting round Seville, where the traffic was bad and the way through difficult. Thank god for the lane guidance on the sat nav! Ended up at El Rocio where all the roads are on unpaved sand and it looks like a film set from a western.

We were going to stay on the car park in the middle of town which unofficially allows motorhomes to stay on weekdays (thanks to @Busman for that tip). However our luck was out. They had had a Feria over the long weekend and the car park was full of large empty marquees. It was chaotic. So we parked on the main road and walked into town. The town was nice in a cheesy sort of way, and we saw the horses (and a couple of foals) wading through the lake to get to the good grazing on an island in the middle. Had some nondescript tapas that were not much to talk about in a touristy bar. Sorry but just not worth photographing so no GTB today.

Now at the campsite on the edge of town, which is pretty good. The weather was very warm with no wind, so I used the swimming pool for the first time this trip. Weather looks good for tomorrow so we may just stay on the campsite and laze about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Time for another update.

We decided to stay at Camping La Aldea in El Rocio yesterday for another day. Very hot weather with hardly any wind at all so we had a lazy day. Or at least I did! Angela decided to do some washing - cheapest machines we have seen on a campsite, €3 for the washing including powder and softener. So we did not move off the site.

Today we said goodbye to Spain and hello to Portugal. And our bad luck came with us. Decided to register for the tolls at the border. All seemed very easy and quick, but just as we drove off we noticed that it had misread our number plate. So pressing on the help button and just getting no reply for about 20 minutes with people having to use the other lanes. Just about to try again when they finally answered. Explained it all and they changed it there and then for us. So over half an hour wasted there.

Popped into Continente in Guia to fill up the fridge then on to the Aire at Alvor. Cloudy throughout the journey but when we got there the sun came out.

Angela has allowed me a special treat of a curry at The Indian Hut II. Food was very good, but they make the best Peshwari nans we have ever had - really stuffed and moist. So we ordered 4 between us and no rice.
IMG_20170504_184322.jpg

We have saved one to be warmed up in the oven for breakfast tomorrow.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear . And we can not wait to get there. We had a great time there last year. And a good market on Sunday. and a great fish restaurant on the quay. Well have a great time.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another update.

Left Alvor yesterday and headed towards the West Coast. Decided to look at Vila Nova de Milfontes with a view to stopping there overnight. But the car park recommended was being redeveloped so we had to park on the road. Walked round for an hour or so. It had a nice small old town which they were digging up the roads in and was in a nice spot. But we decided it was not worth staying for the night.

So we drove on to a campsite just South of Lisbon at Costa de Caparica. Most expensive place so far at €52 for 2 nights but location is everything. On a beach and convenient to a capital city!

So today we caught the bus to Trafaria and took the ferry across to Lisbon. Spent the day looking at the sites including cake shops, trams, cake shops, museums, towers, fernicular trams, shops and cake shops.

Nearly got my pocket picked queuing for one of the trams. Just felt something and realised that the girl who was trying to push in had a friend behind her. I put my hand down quick to stop it and they were away before I could say anything. Despite that we liked Lisbon and its people (with a couple of exceptions). They were generally friendly and helpful and could speak enough English so we could get by. Better than London, then.

As for food, did I mention about the cake shops? So lots of things that were not good for us.

We are now shattered and will continue to head Northish tomorrow. I feel the need for a quiet time at a Baragem or two coming on.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Peter, You seem to have missed a lot of the coast,too late now for me to tell you where to stop. :(

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
As for Villa Nova,they were digging up the roads last year. Portugal can beat Spain into second place for manana. :LOL:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
P
Peter, tell me about registering for the tolls - you don't just pay as you go?
Some toll roads in Portugal are electronic, so work on ANPR so you need to register your reg number to a payment card at the border. That includes the A22 along the Algarve. Easy enough to do usually.

Other toll roads are pay as you go with toll booths.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
cake shops, trams, cake shops, museums, towers, fernicular trams, shops and cake shops.

We deffo seem to have something in common.....FOOD!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have a look at campercontact 10004, it's on my hit list having seen it on another blog. Aire north of Lisbon !
Peniche
Foz do Arelho
Nazare
Costa de Lavos.
Thanks to you both we are at Foz do Arelho. This is the view out of the motorhome.
IMG_20170507_150331.jpg

Awful isn't it :LOL: And all for the outrageous sum of €4 per night including water waste dump and wifi.

The lady in charge told us when we arrived that it was Mothers Day in Portugal. So I was forced to take Angela for some lunch. All we could find was this shack on the beach.
IMG_20170507_192811.jpg

We started with bread olives local cheese and sardine pate. Then we both had the Bacalao which was delicious.
IMG_20170507_132627.jpg

We washed it down with this.
IMG_20170507_134722.jpg

After that lot we were to full for pud, but I had a coffee

So it's guess the bill time again. Remember this was a Sunday and Mothers Day as well so no McD's prices.

Given that @Robert Clark and @DavidG58 are both in the darks of wildest Scotland I will allow a little longer for answers. But again no dogs or babies entries allowed.

We may be forced to stay here for another night due to a severe attack of lethargy.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I wish I was also far away, back home, work tomorrow :(

€36

thinking that bottle may be a trick, could it be water ? :whistle:

clue might be vinnos though I guess :)(y)

me too David ,ive had enough of this working lark ,and when people put photos of 4 euro Aires in a sunny location ,it does not help:)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you done a quick visit Scotland DG?

not me Dave, not sure where this rumour has come from, staff issues at work and my mother rule out most trips o_O

next time is Falkirk for me, although I was very tempted by Robert Clarks posts and the weather up there right now

my time will come and we do have Norway to look forward to in August / September :)(y)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
not me Dave, not sure where this rumour has come from, staff issues at work and my mother rule out most trips o_O

next time is Falkirk for me, although I was very tempted by Robert Clarks posts and the weather up there right now

my time will come and we do have Norway to look forward to in August / September :)(y)

I did think it odd you'd do a whirlwind visit :).
Looking forward to seeing some photos from the Norway trip.
I will now stop hijacking the thread :D2

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
€42 including wine but not including tip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back