Our new motorhome is getting us really stressed (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m really hoping you’re not right but I can’t say that I’m not worried that you are. The thought that we would get caught in a ‘who’s to blame’ game between Adria and Fiat would be an absolute nightmare.
The initial problem was such a stupid production mistake.
Hopefully, it will turn out to be something simple just a pig to access on an A Class.

If it did come to that your contract is with the supplying dealer so it would be down to them to sort it out with Adria & Fiat.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Glad to hear that you named the dealer and that you are happy with what they are doing, +1 to the dealer :), I'm also glad to hear you took out the extended warranty, that should give you some peace of mind.
Let's just hope they get to the bottom of your problem and you can get back on the road in your own motorhome :)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
A big Thumbs up to your dealer, after spending that sort of money letting you take a stock vehicle so you can go on holiday is the level of care we would all hope for but sadly I am am not sure many would provide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A big Thumbs up to your dealer, after spending that sort of money letting you take a stock vehicle so you can go on holiday is the level of care we would all hope for but sadly I am am not sure many would provide.
Here Here . I doubt if our dealer (Lowdhams) would have done the same

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
"Engine Core Plugs

Core plugs are present in the engine cooling jacket for the following reasons:

1 They may blank off the holes left by the jacket cores during casting.
2 They may be removed for cleaning out corrosive deposits from the jacket
3 In the event of freezing the core plugs may be forced out, thereby reducing the risk of cracking the jacket.

They may be of either the Welch Plug, drawn steel cup or, less commonly, the screwed plug variety. The first and second types are respectively expanded and pressed into core holes that have been machined to size."

Light and Heavy Vehicle Technology, Nunney, M. J., ISBN 0 7506 0477 8

One of the textbooks issued to me for my various City and Guilds and BTEC courses in construction and use of motor vehicles, and motor vehicle engineering and technology.
I didn't say they did not reduce the risk - any soft spot would do the same. What I said was that it is a myth that that's their purpose. If they weren't needed during the casting or line boring processes they wouldn't be there. The screwed type (which I've not seen) certainly wouldn't help reduce frost damage. The myth is well-embedded and I'm sure is mentioned in many text books probably because when engine coolant freezes they're the first thing to be seen. In my limited experience if the core plugs have popped due to freezing you may as well search for a new block - there will be other damage.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I’m told there are also core plugs on the oil side whereas I thought they were only on the water side.
The same expanding plugs (that everyone calls core plugs when used in the water jackets) are very often used to close line boring or other holes used only during engine block machining processes. As such they have oil, sometimes under pressure, behind them. The fault you have is most likely one of this type that's leaking.

OP
OP
stevel2

stevel2

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Guys. So here’s an update. We’re now in the Lourmarin area of France. It’s 40 degrees today and been 38 degrees for the last few. Bit hot!!
Our motorhome is now fixed and has been picked up by the dealer and taken back to their premises in Leominster. It seems the problem was a core plug that had been put in without a seal. Been leaking since new - which raises a question as to whether Johnson’s Swindon should have seen the oil all over the back of the engine when they did the recall for the throttle body. Remember they didn’t want to see it again!!
We are due to get back home next Wednesday and will pick our MH up on the Thursday. And then we’ve got to find a way of falling in love with it again.
I think our dealer, Dinmore Leisure of Leominster, has been fantastic. They have been concerned all along, have loaned us a motorhome and gone to Reading to pick ours up and get it safely stored back with them. Above and beyond in my book. Can’t say enough good things about.
I’m very disappointed with Adria who haven’t replied to my letter after the first incident 8 weeks ago let alone the second. Another letter will follow!!
Getting a good dealer seems key to me. Too many dealers get bad reviews although it does seem clear to me that manufacturers are pretty appalling at supporting dealers post sale!!
Thanks again for all your support and comments. Maybe we’ll bump into a few funsters in the future.
Cheers
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
- which raises a question as to whether Johnson’s Swindon should have seen the oil all over the back of the engine when they did the recall for the throttle body.
The recall was only to replace the hose clip on the throttle body intake hose which is just behind the radiator, don't even need the ramp to do the job. When I had mine done the dealer did it on the forecourt to save me having to wait for an hour for a space in the workshop

OP
OP
stevel2

stevel2

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
The recall was only to replace the hose clip on the throttle body intake hose which is just behind the radiator, don't even need the ramp to do the job. When I had mine done the dealer did it on the forecourt to save me having to wait for an hour for a space in the workshop
Hi Lenny. Thanks for reply. I may well be wrong with that then. I thought Johnson’s said that they got under the MH on the ground as someone crawled underneath it. They did it in the yard like yours because they didn’t want it in their workshop. Wasn’t quite sure what the throttle body recall was. I thought it replaced a hose assy?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny. Thanks for reply. I may well be wrong with that then. I thought Johnson’s said that they got under the MH on the ground as someone crawled underneath it. They did it in the yard like yours because they didn’t want it in their workshop. Wasn’t quite sure what the throttle body recall was. I thought it replaced a hose assy?
It was just a hose clip, stick your head over the top of the rad and you will see, don't think you can get at it from underneath.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Great news!
When you’ve spent that sort of money on a new van you really don’t want the sort of worries that you have had. It must be a huge relief to you that the dealer has got your van safely stored for you to return to.
Enjoy the rest of your trip now that the weight is off your shoulders. (y) :D2

Richard

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Excellent news.

I think our dealer, Dinmore Leisure of Leominster, has been fantastic. They have been concerned all along, have loaned us a motorhome and gone to Reading to pick ours up and get it safely stored back with them. Above and beyond in my book. Can’t say enough good things about.
I'd do them a review whe you are happy in the review section so that others can see how they have performed

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Great news glad you got it sorted and a thumps up to your dealer enjoy

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I think your dealer has been really great. Hopefully, now repaired you can get on and enjoy your new motorhome and put it all behind you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back