Our new motorhome is getting us really stressed (1 Viewer)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Get it taken back to dealers give them a time limit and put in writing that you will reject the van as not fit for purpose if not fixed in that time frame

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
When it happened to me I 'did my crunch' and they booked me in at a commercial business that also is Fiat Professional at Frome. I drove all the way there a few days later. Sat in the reception until abt 1, then they told me they couldnt fit me in ad the two lorries they had on the ramps wouldnt be finished that day!! What. I was fuming. So I decided to leave it and Ive just come back yesterday after having hab and first service ( 2yrs) at Chelstons as they can do both.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
According to FP website Johnson's, Swindon are a MH service dealer so they are contractually obligated to take MHs. You could force the point with Fiat customer service, but OTOH would you be happy leaving your van with them after their attitude so far?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You say it is new with 1500 miles on it.. BUT is it new or just new to you and you have put 1500 miles on it.. You need to state the model and make to get advice. so many things it could be but be specific.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Just had our new aclass (K Yacht) a month and apart from a couple of minor issues we are well pleased with it but always that nagging doubt at the back of your mind. We had a throttlebody and wiring loom replaced on our 1st van (PVC) on a 3ltr but I could not fault the main Fiat dealer as it was one day out of warranty and they did a good job ,I guess a PVC is easier to work on. So hope it works out and good luck for the future.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I suspect that some Fiat dealers, or at least their technicians, don't like the extra complications of A Class vans. It is only a suspicion as I have no proof.
We used to take our two previous vans to a Fiat Professional dealer not too far from us. The last van was 7.9m long and they did all the services and recalls.
After we bought our A Class Carthago I took it to them for a Fiat recall which they dealt with. I was chatting to the guys that did the job and asked their advice about servicing. They told me they wouldn't be able to service it because it wouldn't fit on their ramps due to its size.........it is almost half a metre shorter than our previous van.
I felt that the limited access of an A Class was just too much trouble for them to be bothered with.
Sounds like the OP is having the same problem.

Richard.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Used to work for a main commercial dealer and to be honest when the likes of a horse box or specifically type of vehicle built around the original vehicle came in everyone ran a mile. Just a pain in the arse to work on as the bodybuilders didn’t really worry it the mechanic couldn’t get at it. A class etc lovely to drive etc but they can have their downsides ime afraid

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I can recommend Adam Morey of Southampton and Bournemouth
Do you mean Simon at Adams Morey Portsmouth. Please give this guy at Portsmouth a call (023 9269 1122‬) Fiat main dealer. This company know Fiat A class inside out and work on them all day and everyday. You will see when you pull up in the yard. I and many on here cannot give enough praise on the support this guy gives motorhome owners.
If you have to travel, I cannot recommend highly enough. Put the van on a low loader and get it there under warranty. I live in Essex and I travel to Portsmouth to have my work done on the van you will not be disappointed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Do you mean Simon at Adams Morey Portsmouth. Please give this guy at Portsmouth a call (023 9269 1122‬) Fiat main dealer. This company know Fiat A class inside out and work on them all day and everyday. You will see when you pull up in the yard. I and many on here cannot give enough praise on the support this guy gives motorhome owners.
If you have to travel, I cannot recommend highly enough. Put the van on a low loader and get it there under warranty. I live in Essex and I travel to Portsmouth to have my work done on the van you will not be disappointed
The same company. They have garages all across the area including Salisbury too. I have only personally used Bournemouth and Southampton.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The same company. They have garages all across the area including Salisbury too. I have only personally used Bournemouth and Southampton.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011

Wow all the way to Portsmouth from Hornchurch for a Service. We live in Romford and take ours to D Salmon Cars in Weeley near Clacton on Sea. Subaru & Fiat commercial dealer. Excellent service and recommended for Motorhome servicing.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Wow all the way to Portsmouth from Hornchurch for a Service. We live in Romford and take ours to D Salmon Cars in Weeley near Clacton on Sea. Subaru & Fiat commercial dealer. Excellent service and recommended for Motorhome servicing.
Like most things once I had a brilliant' can do experience' will never go elsewhere. Probably would get a good service from a recommended dealer elsewhere but I just build the service into a trip and a day out to Portsmouth City.
There are excellent dealers out there for A class problems I'm sure, but until recommended by fellow Funsters who's 'word is there bond' not for me. So yes if i decide to have a service elsewhere now you have put up Salman Cars I can consider them . If they prove to be not upto scratch at least i had a nod in the right direction and I didn't just drop in and felt let down.
Perhaps all I am trying to say to the original OP is , don't despair, take up some points in the directions given by fellow funsters around this issue and you will come through the other end a lot happier after spending the kids inheritance.
Owning a van for 2 months and 1500 miles and something goes wrong under the small bonnet that the local garage does not want to work on will not give anybody confidence. There are Fiat dealers out there who will work on them( although they probably hate them) I would just be at my wits end it was me especially when holiday trips are coming up.

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Like most things once I had a brilliant' can do experience' will never go elsewhere. Probably would get a good service for a recommended dealer elsewhere but just build the service into a trip and a day out to Portsmouth City.
There are excellent dealers out there for A class problems but until recommended by fellow Funsters who's word is there bond not for me. So yes if i decide to have a service elsewhere now you have put up Salman Cars I can consider them . If they prove to be not upto scratch at least i had a nod in the right direction and I didn't just drop in.,

I can also recommend Les Bateman Motors located at 9 Featherby Way, Rochford, SS4 1LD for servicing and repairs.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
May be a good thing to have a list of good Fiat pro garages I for one have had good service from Rockingham Cars (Fiat Pro) Corby Northhants.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The OPs mh is 7.6 mts and they are now saying they cant deal with it and its too valuable!!!! Aren't all mhs valuable. Idiots.

Says a lot about the faith management have in their staff ?

As have been said I’d contact all involved and include in the mail to the dealer you are preparing a letter of rejection for worst case scenario.

Hope you’re sorted soon

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
"They don't want to see it again". Is that a refusal to do anymore work on it by a Fiat Professional? Think Fiat themselves might be interested in that! But it doesn't give you any confidence in the garage does it.

Contact Fiat Assist, tell them about your problems. By all accounts on here they usually sort things out quickly and properly. It's their problem, don't get yourselves stressed, even if you do end up having to delay your break.

But I have been told several times by mechanics that they hate working on A-Class motorhomes.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
If in doubt about the legal position it's worth considering joining Which Legal. Trading Standards will give basic advice and as I've found it's not always correct. On the other hand Which Legal were bang on and IMHO worth the money.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That is the same D. Salmon Fiat “Professional” dealer who despite written instructions to do so, failed to grease the Al-Ko chassis as required. Said it wasn’t their job, but never actually said so at the time. Only found out by accident some time afterwards and they told me when I phoned and complained. They also failed to check and adjust the tyre pressures.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
That is the same D. Salmon Fiat “Professional” dealer who despite written instructions to do so, failed to grease the Al-Ko chassis as required. Said it wasn’t their job, but never actually said so at the time. Only found out by accident some time afterwards and they told me when I phoned and complained. They also failed to check and adjust the tyre pressures.
I think the ALKO chassis is a dark area and not part of the Fiat base, I guess the MH dealer should do it as part of the annual habitation check? I have used D Salmon and they are generally good and reasonably priced for a main dealer.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Under the Consumer Act you can reject the vehicle if you have given the supplier (dealer) an opportunity to rectify the faults. If they fail to do so, the Act allows you to reject. The dealer needs to take responsibilty.

Don’t know which dealer you got the van from but it seems to me that your best course of action is to reject it. Given your various problems to date, you will be forever worrying about what the next fault might be...

Really sorry you are having to go through this.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I've used Johnsons in Swindon twice. Full service etc.
My vans 7.7 in length. They did say any longer MHs they couldn't work with . I was very happy with them
Sorry to hear your horrendous story , good luck.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think the ALKO chassis is a dark area and not part of the Fiat base, I guess the MH dealer should do it as part of the annual habitation check? I have used D Salmon and they are generally good and reasonably priced for a main dealer.
I agree with that, but I requested in writing and they agreed to do it, but never told me that they had decided not to bother, for whatever reason.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It hasn't been confirmed that it is brand new yet but if it is surely it should be back at the dealer and refunded , maybe 50 grand and can't use it, doesn't make any sense to me.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Adams Morey are also in Portsmouth. When I was there this week they had a very A class van that I parked next to.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
At post #33 DC4JC mentioned Chelston Motorhomes. Being a motorhome dealer with Fiat Professional accreditation was a factor in us ordering our new motorhome from them. Whatever problems might arise we know who to go to and not get the slow intake of breath and chin rubbing associated with A class work. I had Mercedes recall work done on our current A class and Mercedes initially refused to pay the dealers additional costs. Emails to the their UK CE and the DVSA about the safety implications of their decision had it very quickly overturned.

OP
OP
stevel2

stevel2

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Guys. An update for you all today. First of all thanks to everyone for their comments and words of comfort. It's all a bit emotional at the moment. This is what has happened today.
1. Contacted Fiat Camper Assist. Brilliant response from them. Arranged initially for the RAC to come out who confirmed that there was oil all over the place and not at all clear where the problem lies. They suspect crankshaft oil seal, flywheel seal or turbo related but high up at the rear of the engine.
2. FCA wanted to recover the MH to our local Fiat Commercial, Johnsons Swindon, but already new of the difficulties here. They searched for a dealer who a) would accept the dimensions and value of our MH and b) are able to get it onto a ramp in the morning. FCA found HTC in Reading who are able to help. 6 others were either unable/not willing to.
3. FCA have arranged for a low loader to come this afternoon from Cardiff to transport our MH to HTC.
I'll post separately about the call to the dealer and legal advice taken.
A post earlier asked about the age of the MH. It's brand new with 1500 miles. It is an Adria Sonic MH.
Peoples comments are really appreciated and I'll post updates.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for the update. Good luck with the repair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back