Our new motorhome is getting us really stressed

stevel2

Funster
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
This could be the start of a very long story of our trials and tribulations with our new A class motorhome. But right now that can wait as it looks possible that we have a fairly massive problem and I'm fishing for a bit of information. It looks possible that our head gasket needs to be replaced. The van has been in the dealers today and they haven't so far got to the oil leak which is fairly significant. They're saying its higher up the engine and they're concerned it is head gasket. Our motorhome has 1500 miles on it and we've had a number of issues. This is just the latest one. We're due to go on a 3 week tour to the south of France starting on Sunday!!
How difficult is it to change a head gasket on an A Class motorhome?
Feeling really down right now

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Hymer B678 Dynamic Line
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably difficult for them to see where the leak is due to restricted access.
As for changing the head gasket it really depends on the van, our Hymer has quite good access so would probably only add an hour or so to the job. My mates Carthago with Alde heating with the Alde heat exchanger looks like it would be an absolute nightmare.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
MH
N&B Flair 8000 IVECO
Exp
since 2012
Not a good start so hopefully it can only get better, I am guessing it's on a Fiat as they nearly all are, is it in the motorhome dealer or Fiat garage, I would have thought it needs to go to Fiat professional workshop. How long? if it is the head gasket:) not that long once they start.

Martin

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Homeless
Exp
Since 2005
Unusual for it to be the head gasket without other related problems..... Water in oil, oil in water, Water loss, overheating, burning oil etc.
There's not enough pressure in the oil system to pop the head gasket on its own but it could be a crack in the cylinder head.
More chance its the cam cover gasket or turbo oil feed pipe leaking.
If its the back of the cover leaking it'll be very difficult to see.

OP
stevel2

stevel2

Funster
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
Not aa good start so hopefully it can only get better, I am guessing it's on a Fiat as they nearly all are, is it in the motorhome dealer or Fiat garage, I would have thought it needs to go to Fiat professional workshop. How long? if it is the head gasket:) not that long once they start.

Martin
Hi Martin. Not in either at the moment as our local Fiat Commercial Dealer said they didn't want to see it again after they did the throttle body recall. They say its too long and too valuable. It's 7.6mtrs.
I took it to a friends garage but had to instruct them not to remove bits in case it affected warranty. I was hoping it was going to be a simple fix but not looking that way.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
MH
N&B Flair 8000 IVECO
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin. Not in either at the moment as our local Fiat Commercial Dealer said they didn't want to see it again after they did the throttle body recall. They say its too long and too valuable. It's 7.6mtrs.
I took it to a friends garage but had to instruct them not to remove bits in case it affected warranty. I was hoping it was going to be a simple fix but not looking that way.
I think you are right to not let your mate work on it at only 1500 miles and I imagine not very old either, it's the responsibility of you dealer and or Fiat, your dealer should be able to tell you where to take it, you could contact Fiat customer assistance and I am sure that they will tell you where to take it as 7.6 metres is not that large and I don't see what value has to do with it unless the garage has no faith in it's staff.

Martin

OP
stevel2

stevel2

Funster
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
Unusual for it to be the head gasket without other related problems..... Water in oil, oil in water, Water loss, overheating, burning oil etc.
There's not enough pressure in the oil system to pop the head gasket on its own.
More chance its the cam cover gasket or turbo oil feed pipe leaking.
If its the back of the cover leaking it'll be very difficult to see.
Interesting reply because our first issue was a heater hose blowing off a heat exchanger inside the motorhome sending 5ltrs of glycol down the motorhome. I got it stopped very quickly and Fiat Assist sent out the RAC who got us back going again.

TinaL

Funster
MH
Carthago C Tourer T148H
Exp
Ex Tuggers, I year into Mohoing, FLT wannabies
Sorry to hear of your problems with you new MH, just to clarify for us, how old is it? are you the second owner? at only having 1500 miles on the clock.
What make and model is it, and what dealer did you buy from as there are good & bad out there.
I am not sure how long it will take to change the head gasket as it depends on how long it takes them to get to the top of the engine to access all the manifolds, it may need skimming before refitting as it may be warped now.
Have you asked them for a loan vehicle to cover your booked France Trip?, they may have something to tied you over, although I know its not the same as taking your own vehicle.
I am sure others will suggest that you reject the vehicle as not fit for purpose under the newish consumer laws, it depends on how confident you feel this vehicle will be after having the engine sorted, and all the other things you have had problems with.
Only you ca make that decision, I know which way I would be heading in taking legal advice maybe, if you have some finance arranged on the vehicle this can be helpful also as they would probably help in getting the vehicle rejected if you should choose that route of action.

So sorry for you, or anyone having these problems with a newish vehicle, thank goodness the engine ones like this are rare on here.

Good luck.
Les

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Feel your pain and disappointment. :(

Hope you can get it sorted without too much disruption to your travel plans.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this is where a fiat main dealer workshop comes into it's own. A quality snake camera will be used to examine the otherwise impossible to see angles of the engine

The actual job mentioned of head gasket change really does depend on the way the A class was built round it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this is where a fiat main dealer workshop comes into it's own. A quality snake camera will be used to examine the otherwise impossible to see angles of the engine

The actual job mentioned of head gasket change really does depend on the way the A class was built round it.

OP
stevel2

stevel2

Funster
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry to hear of your problems with you new MH, just to clarify for us, how old is it? are you the second owner? at only having 1500 miles on the clock.
What make and model is it, and what dealer did you buy from as there are good & bad out there.
I am not sure how long it will take to change the head gasket as it depends on how long it takes them to get to the top of the engine to access all the manifolds, it may need skimming before refitting as it may be warped now.
Have you asked them for a loan vehicle to cover your booked France Trip?, they may have something to tied you over, although I know its not the same as taking your own vehicle.
I am sure others will suggest that you reject the vehicle as not fit for purpose under the newish consumer laws, it depends on how confident you feel this vehicle will be after having the engine sorted, and all the other things you have had problems with.
Only you ca make that decision, I know which way I would be heading in taking legal advice maybe, if you have some finance arranged on the vehicle this can be helpful also as they would probably help in getting the vehicle rejected if you should choose that route of action.

So sorry for you, or anyone having these problems with a newish vehicle, thank goodness the engine ones like this are rare on here.

Good luck.
Les
Thanks Les. We are feeling pretty sorry for ourselves at the moment for sure. Phone calls tomorrow and we'll see where it all goes. We don't really want to go down the road of rejection because we love the vehicle. But these problems are really getting to us. Plus we spent a fair chunk of money adding bits to it to suit our own purposes. A good nights sleep and hopefully tomorrow will be better.

G7UXG

Funster
MH
Carthago Chic C Line T4.9
Exp
Since May 2011
It should be a simple enough job for a competent Fiat Professional dealer (I'd recommend a commercial garage rather than one that just has car ramps and limited space) to drop the engine out through the bottom, fix the problem, and refit the engine. I had an oil leak on the oil feed to the turbo on an 'A' class Hymer (3 litre engine) and that's exactly what they did. No problems after that.

Contact Fiat Camper Assist on 00800 3428 1111. I've found them to be very helpful.

TinaL

Funster
MH
Carthago C Tourer T148H
Exp
Ex Tuggers, I year into Mohoing, FLT wannabies
Yes mate, sleep tight,I know how gutted you feel right now, hope you get the news you deserve tomorrow.
Good Luck.
Les

OP
stevel2

stevel2

Funster
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
It should be a simple enough job for a competent Fiat Professional dealer (I'd recommend a commercial garage rather than one that just has car ramps and limited space) to drop the engine out through the bottom, fix the problem, and refit the engine. I had an oil leak on the oil feed to the turbo on an 'A' class Hymer (3 litre engine) and that's exactly what they did. No problems after that.

Contact Fiat Camper Assist on 00800 3428 1111. I've found them to be very helpful.
Thanks for thoughts. It was actually a Fiat Professional Dealer who said they didn't want to see it again. Was still trying to get my head round that one but was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with that until first service.
I'll be contacting Fiat Camper Assist in the morning.
Thanks again

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services