DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are there little wheels under the overhang? Some vehicles have them or is the ride height adjustable?
I've seen MHs that size built on the Iveco Daily chassis which have good ground clearance at the rear. Can I ask what chassis yours is built on? :)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Lovely bit of kit. What travels plans do you have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Are there little wheels under the overhang? Some vehicles have them or is the ride height adjustable?
I've seen MHs that size built on the Iveco Daily chassis which have good ground clearance at the rear. Can I ask what chassis yours is built on? :)

Our's is exactly that, an Iveco Daily chassis modified (extended and stiffened) by Meier in Germany () - it is ride height adjustable using a small keypad beside the driving position (which is on a coiled extension cable so can be passed out of the drivers window to operate it from the outside too)!

Meier supplied a number of items on our Morelo such as; the Webasto heater, the chassis mods, the air suspension & auto levelling system (with VB Air Suspension), jacks, 120L gas tank etc.

There's a great Morelo video on this at

And finally, yes, our Morelo has large rubber skids attached to the underside of the chassis at the rear just for this purpose; I have seen Morelo's with the small wheels too though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Lovely bit of kit. What travels plans do you have?

We plan to travel all around Europe maybe even going full time in a couple of years. We will be looking for the perfect place to retire, no rush, just taking our time. That's why we needed a large MH as "she who must be obeyed" said "if we're going to do this, I'm not slumming it"! Job done I reckon! :D2

I would love to get back to Iceland with this Morelo (see our blog at ourmorelolife.com to see why). My son worked out that there is a ferry from Denmark, it takes 3 days and costs €2,000 so that may have to go to the back of the queue for a while. But what an amazing place; I simply loved it there.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Very nice, but not jealous, as it would not suit our MHoming style - the rear overhang for a start would give us major problems on steep Alpine and Pyrenees hairpins.

Geoff

I don't think I'd let that put me off! :D

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Lordy that's a beast!

The amount of monthly depreciation would scare me to death though I'm afraid...

Well, you may like to hear this story. When we went to collect this Morelo, we spoke to the PA of the MD of the dealer (she spoke great english). She said they had just bought a Morelo back that they sold two years previously and for for the same money as the owner had paid for it new. Now, I'm not saying there is no depreciation but, if you consider the rate that the price of these MH's are increasing, it is almost as fast as the rate of depreciation.

It's about supply and demand. You have to wait 12 months to have one built to your own spec and not everyone is prepared to wait that long. Second hand values are really high. The UK market for motorhomes is said to have increased 26% last year so there are plenty of people out there looking (look at the rate of growth on this site). Morelo's really hold their value if you keep them nice (and I will). I do accept that a motorhome with a ticket price of €316,000 is a great deal of cash to spend but we have absolutely every conceivable extra on ours (except the in-built vacuum cleaning system and central locking on the locker doors (which I really wanted but just couldn't find one pre-built with everything we wanted)).

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well, you may like to hear this story. When we went to collect this Morelo, we spoke to the PA of the MD of the dealer (she spoke great english). She said they had just bought a Morelo back that they sold two years previously and for for the same money as the owner had paid for it new. Now, I'm not saying there is no depreciation but, if you consider the rate that the price of these MH's are increasing, it is almost as fast as the rate of depreciation.

It's about supply and demand. You have to wait 12 months to have one built to your own spec and not everyone is prepared to wait that long. Second hand values are really high. The UK market for motorhomes is said to have increased 26% last year so there are plenty of people out there looking (look at the rate of growth on this site). Morelo's really hold their value if you keep them nice (and I will). I do accept that a motorhome with a ticket price of €316,000 is a great deal of cash to spend but we have absolutely every conceivable extra on ours (except the in-built vacuum cleaning system and central locking on the locker doors (which I really wanted but just couldn't find one pre-built with everything we wanted)).

Wow, €316,000, I am off to join the dole wallers forum, bye everyone. I dropped a pound coin last week and it rolled down a drain, Caz says I have woken up 3 times in the night since then, sweating.

From a jealous as hell Paul, you lucky swine.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Please put some pictures of the inside on.
Its huge , I bet it’s like a bungalow on wheels .
Whilst I’d never , ever want to full time , I bet you could spend months away in that , very very comfortably.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had hoped to meet my brother in the Alps next summer but hadn't thought about the rear overhang being an issue. Is this something that could cause me issues? Any info welcome
I think if you crank the ride height up and stick to the main routes you should be fine. The inside of hairpins can be ridiculously steep but the standard technique is to check there is nobody coming in the other direction and swing out wide. This what the trucks and buses do, its almost expected.
I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it. The wing mirrors cost about £2K so they make sure you drive carefully. :)
By main road I mean like the one in the photo below. There were a few hairpins but I'm sure they were negotiable with a bit of a run up. There's only one way to find out. :)

328-1843x1037.jpg

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s certainly a lovely van , but if I had that to spend I would give up work. Would probably give up motorhome and retire somewhere rural and quiet and get a rescue dog.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Very nice, but not jealous, as it would not suit our MHoming style - the rear overhang for a start would give us major problems on steep Alpine and Pyrenees hairpins.

Geoff
Friends of ours had a 7 ish metre Arto and couldn’t get up their road without grounding out so thought a 8.5 metre Flair would be out of the question so we took our to try “no problems” saying that the Ones with wheels on the chassis seem to ground purely because the wheels are too low.

The IVECO chassis is a lot higher than Fiat.

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I had hoped to meet my brother in the Alps next summer but hadn't thought about the rear overhang being an issue. Is this something that could cause me issues? Any info welcome

Our experience of difficulties with our N+B Arto on a FIAT chassis have been on very minor roads with sharp hairpins and even using the outside of the bend we have grounded - the towbar not the bodywork. We could remove the towbar because we do not tow, but I like it as an early warning system.

We have also grounded coming off small ferries in Scotland.

Our groundings have been scrapes - maybe more noise than real grounding, but at least I know it transfers any slight load to the chassis.

If one sticks to main routes in the mountains there should be no problem, but we like to get off the beaten track and then one can encounter problems - so far we have only had to turn round twice, but we are only 7m long with about 1.75m overhang.

Geoff

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You usually find the bigger you go the higher the ride , as the wheel size has to go up . I have found the swing on the rear is the thing you have to watch rather than grounding .
@OurMoreloLife does yours have a slide out? Did you consider US RV before you bought , what swung it for you ?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
....... so we took our to try “no problems” saying that the Ones with wheels on the chassis seem to ground purely because the wheels are too low.

Similar to the point I’ve made on various threads where fitting rollers/wheels has been discussed.

I’d go further than your comment that the wheels are too low and say that any wheels fitted will be too low. Any item to be fitted as a ‘sacrificial’ contact point will always be fitted to ground first (I.e. lower than any other contact point) and will INCREASE the instances of grounding (because it will strike the ground in instances where, were it not fitted, no grounding would have occurred).

Ian

chriscroft

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 2012

When you look at the effort Morelo go to, in terms of understanding exactly what you would need for extended trips (a few years or so......(y)), and then delivering a superb vehicle; I think you can understand exactly where the all the cash goes. It must be very rewarding working for a company such as Morelo. Love it

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a stunning looking van, I'm sure you will have years of comfortable travels in it and look forward to more photos and tales of your adventures.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
We plan to travel all around Europe maybe even going full time in a couple of years. We will be looking for the perfect place to retire, no rush, just taking our time. That's why we needed a large MH as "she who must be obeyed" said "if we're going to do this, I'm not slumming it"! Job done I reckon! :D2

I would love to get back to Iceland with this Morelo (see our blog at ourmorelolife.com to see why). My son worked out that there is a ferry from Denmark, it takes 3 days and costs €2,000 so that may have to go to the back of the queue for a while. But what an amazing place; I simply loved it there.
I’m liking your approach and something both my wife and I are working towards later on in our chapter.

Great start to your blog and look forward to reading more adventures as and when posted(y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's not a bad looking vehicle for a 'starter van'.:D

Joking aside I hope you have some really great times.

All the best,

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back