OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Excuse me Sir, no Photoshop going on there!
(it was Apple Preview to be precise)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
It's actually not funny. Whilst we don't expect a gift when we spend a large amount of money on a luxury item, it has in recent times become somewhat the norm. When we collected our Morelo from the dealer Gluck, we were given a free Gluck branded doormat ( the wife said "I've got one of them already" and pointed at me) and 4 bottles of German beer in the fridge. The beer was fantastic thanks to Natascha at Gluck, but now you were given such a lovely watch with a first rate (well almost) MH, I reckon I should ask some questions at Morelo or Gluck!

Who actually gave you that or are you pulling my leg? I mean you could have bought it in the Concorde gift shop as you left the funfair!! :p

( that is humour and not an attempt at an insult by the way)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
When we picked up the Frankia, they gave us a very nice picnic basket. But thinking about it, that’s probably the least likely thing we’ll use now we have the MH.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
When we picked up the Frankia, they gave us a very nice picnic basket. But thinking about it, that’s probably the least likely thing we’ll use now we have the MH.

They gave us a basket too but I found the goodies to be really useful.

I love anything that's free so a freebie picnic basket was right up my street:D

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You can't always believe what you are told so double-double check.

For example. I knew I would buy a Morelo or a Concorde. I also knew I wanted a Telma Retarder installed as I thought the brakes on a an Iveco Daily chassis were not likely to be that great when running close to all up weight and would need some assistance. So I asked the question.

A well known Concorde dealers' staff told me "No, no, you can't have one - I've checked, the manufacturers won't allow a retarder on a fibreglass motorhome as they are installed close to the underside of the floor and as they overheat can catch fire; way too dangerous"

Whereas Morelo advertise them as an option (which I wished mine had as they do take some stopping)!
Peter, I am scouring specs at the moment and I have come across what might be an issue, you can have the retarder but lose the optional large fuel tank and seemingly would be stuck with the 70 litre version. A difficult choice in my opinion.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for that info; as you say, indeed a tough one. I think the extended tank is likely to win through though.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Can anyone tell me why a retarder would be necessary?
Necessary is probably a bit strong. However the use of engine based braking is prevalent in the Truck & Bus arena, the issue being the risk of brakes overheating on long hill descents for example. There are several different types and although I do not profess to be that knowledgable I did have a Jake brake on my last RV and that worked by the process of altering the timing on the exhaust valves which causes the pistons to be pushing against a closed head thus braking the drive train. I loved it. The Telma is a whole different type, you do see them a lot in commercial coaches and someone will be along with a technical explanation I am sure.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Necessary is probably a bit strong. However the use of engine based braking is prevalent in the Truck & Bus arena, the issue being the risk of brakes overheating on long hill descents for example. There are several different types and although I do not profess to be that knowledgable I did have a Jake brake on my last RV and that worked by the process of altering the timing on the exhaust valves which causes the pistons to be pushing against a closed head thus braking the drive train. I loved it. The Telma is a whole different type, you do see them a lot in commercial coaches and someone will be along with a technical explanation I am sure.
Also known as an exhaust brake (I think)

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Go to the Telma website or google it; I believe it uses electromagnetic pulses on disks connected around the prop shaft to slow its rotation.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The thing is with larger heavier vehicles , doing long descents , you have a couple of options , first one is using the brakes to slow , 2nd is using engine to hold back . The second means that usually you select a lower gear to enhance the engine braking effect , it was that you used either the same gear down as you would use to go up , or one below . This was to enable the brakes to be used to a lot lesser extent and give them chance to cool down . If you were to just rely on the brakes they would need to be much larger than they need to be to handle normal stops. Then you have exhaust brakes , that shut off the exhaust to increase the compression pressure in the engine , and increase retardation . The jake brake does this far more effectively , by allowing the engine to compress the intake air , but the releases it before the compressed air pushes the piston down . The telma use an eddy current generated that a rotor turns thru ,like an electric motor trying to run in reverse (not really but gives the general idea) , this applies torque to the propeller shaft to slow the wheels . All of the secondary braking devices help take the load off the brakes , and supply enhanced resistance to movement , without overheating so you can go a bit quicker down hill if you want knowing that you can use brakes to do a harder stop if you need to HTSH

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Very Informative @tacr2man, you have taught me a lot about braking aids that I had heard about on trucks etc, but never understood the workings of, so thanks for sharing.
One thing that has not been covered yet, is the availability of rear parachute deployment, for those really fast downhill roads, where an emergency stop is required. :D:D:D
All the best
Les

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Very Informative @tacr2man, you have taught me a lot about braking aids that I had heard about on trucks etc, but never understood the workings of, so thanks for sharing.
One thing that has not been covered yet, is the availability of rear parachute deployment, for those really fast downhill roads, where an emergency stop is required. :D:D:D
All the best
Les

I suggest a grappling iron might be more effective, but attach it to a chassis harness not the bumper;):D

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Engine braking means using the engine as an air pump, without injecting fuel. You convert some of the vehicle's kinetic energy into compressed heated air which releases via the exhaust. A low gear means faster air pumping and energy conversion so you sense greater retardation. Sharing the load with the vehicle brakes on long hill descents.

It's about time Fiat offered a hybrid Ducato with a KERs system.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It hasnt quite got to level it has in South Africa ,
chubb_armedresp.jpg

Chubb Armed Response , and the pic only shows them with their sidearms !! They respond under blue light as well

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Apologies for the above post , being in the wrong thread , beats me how it got there as its supposed to be in the Vigilante thread :) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back