sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The eurocargo will be a truck working at lower level of its capabilities whereas the Daily was more vansize components working at the upper end. It used to be that ride was better on the daily but with full air the heavier vehicle will be very little different . JMHO
Interesting, I have Full VB air on my Daily chassis, do you expect a similar ride between it and the Eurocargo (not the light version) as a result. I am disappointed that you lose the 8 speed ZF box and get. 6 speed so that will be something I will look out for.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I don't know if it helps but my M Liner is on a MAN TGI chassis and having had both ducato & iveco based Motorhomes previously, I find the MAN so much easier to drive. It seems to be hardly working very hard ever & the engine breaking makes descents a doddle and saves the normal breaks. Air brakes are superb and of course its rear wheel drive.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Air suspension really does improve the ride over steel, coil or leaf , from my experience. The other plus I would think will be air brakes on the eurocargo . They tend to be less temperamental when on motorhomes than hydraulic . The calipers on Dailys can be a bit "sticky" if left sitting for periods. They are easily sorted if you notice
(on the rear) otherwise I have seen them melt the hubcaps !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Interesting, I have Full VB air on my Daily chassis, do you expect a similar ride between it and the Eurocargo (not the light version) as a result. I am disappointed that you lose the 8 speed ZF box and get. 6 speed so that will be something I will look out for.

I shouldn't be over-worried about going from 8 speed to six speed as Allison boxes are only 6 (in mine) , and is more than enough ratios , usually as bigger engines dont have such a peaky torque band :)

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
You can't always believe what you are told so double-double check.

For example. I knew I would buy a Morelo or a Concorde. I also knew I wanted a Telma Retarder installed as I thought the brakes on a an Iveco Daily chassis were not likely to be that great when running close to all up weight and would need some assistance. So I asked the question.

A well known Concorde dealers' staff told me "No, no, you can't have one - I've checked, the manufacturers won't allow a retarder on a fibreglass motorhome as they are installed close to the underside of the floor and as they overheat can catch fire; way too dangerous"

Whereas Morelo advertise them as an option (which I wished mine had as they do take some stopping)!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

For example. I knew I would buy a Morelo or a Concorde. I also knew I wanted a Telma Retarder installed as I thought the brakes on a an Iveco Daily chassis were not likely to be that great when running close to all up weight and would need some assistance. So I asked the question.

A well known Concorde dealers' staff told me "No, no, you can't have one - I've checked, the manufacturers won't allow a retarder on a fibreglass motorhome as they are installed close to the underside of the floor and as they overheat can catch fire; way too dangerous"

Whereas Morelo advertise them as an option (which I wished mine had as they do take some stopping)!
Telma electric retarders are brilliant , and as for the heat, fire risk utter tosh , in actual fact Dangerous goods vehicles have to have "secondary " braking fitted as requirement , so sometimes Telmas are used to provide such . They are also very common on coaches , especially for alpine routes , although now hydraulic retarders are becoming popular as extra due to more automatic gearboxes.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

The Telma retarder was one option I really wish that mine had. It was on the options list and probably the only thing the previous owner did not tick........

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have no experience of Morelo MHs (though I do wish I was in the market for one ;) ), but I have had experience of Telma retarders, and exhaust brakes. I love them both, and always used them where at all possible, when driving Coaches or Trucks. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
The Telma retarder was one option I really wish that mine had. It was on the options list and probably the only thing the previous owner did not tick........

On the way back to the tunnel from Munich with our Morelo we went down this huge hill (on the road of course) and the gearbox & engine started screaming, the revs went through the roof and I didn't have a clue what was happening. Nothing I could do to stop it. It almost seemed that the more I braked the more the engine screamed. I later experienced it on a smaller scale recently in the UK on a steep downward gradient.

Do you think that is the ZF doing the breaking for me through the gearbox?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On the way back to the tunnel from Munich with our Morelo we went down this huge hill (on the road of course) and the gearbox & engine started screaming, the revs went through the roof and I didn't have a clue what was happening. Nothing I could do to stop it. It almost seemed that the more I braked the more the engine screamed. I later experienced it on a smaller scale recently in the UK on a steep downward gradient.

Not at all sure on that. I ave no real life experience of them except to be advised that it is a very desirable extra

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

Is it an automatic , as it might be programmed to do that ,
I have an Allison auto in mine , and that will do what you describe
(not quite to that extreme) if I have the exhaust brake selected and remove my foot from the accelerator . It will then downshift as you get slower , gear after gear . You also get similar with trucks , that you can select exhaust brake , and you can remove your foot from accelerator ,nothing happens , but if you just touch the brake pedal it will bring in exhaust brake and then downshift .

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
@OurMoreloLife I did a table mod to reduce our huge table but can not seem to find the thread maybe some one can find it and post a link. It looks as close to factory fit as any I have seen.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I have heard other people say that the IVECO Daily ZF combination does this down shift and high revs thing, they wanted to have Telmar retarder fitted post build but its either not simple or not possible, well certainly not with their build spec but each van might be different.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

The ZF box is electronically talking to the engine, mine automatically changes down when I brake, and then again if you were still braking, I think its brilliant, you just have to apply the brakes judiciously.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

If you have M position on the selector , and use it as a paddle shift
tap it down one gear at the start of the downhill to use engine braking does it still do the downshift or will it hold in that gear and allow you to supplement the engine braking by use of the footbrake ?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

I thought Concordes were Aluminium inside and out, not fibreglass?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
They are. They’re extremely well built.

There may be fibreglass on the skirts but I expect the same would be true on a Morelo.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

For example. I knew I would buy a Morelo or a Concorde. I also knew I wanted a Telma Retarder installed as I thought the brakes on a an Iveco Daily chassis were not likely to be that great when running close to all up weight and would need some assistance.

Hope you don’t me asking... why did you feel the braking system wouldn’t be up to the job?

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
We are talking about Morelo here right.

And so you spotted my deliberate mistake! Well done.

The body panels are indeed aluminium bonded onto DOW STYROFOAM but the floor pan is (according to their website) "PREMIUM UNDERBODY - Thanks to its stable glass-fibre-reinforced plastic underbody, there's absolutely no need to worry about moisture or corrosion."

Screen Shot 2.png

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They are. They’re extremely well built.

There may be fibreglass on the skirts but I expect the same would be true on a Morelo.

Yes that's what I thought, I got the impression that @OurMoreloLife was saying the Concorde dealer said he couldn't fit a retarder because the van is fibreglass.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Yes that's what I thought, I got the impression that @OurMoreloLife was saying the Concorde dealer said he couldn't fit a retarder because the van is fibreglass.

Sorry, it's Monday and getting late, you are not mistaken, that is what I said. Maybe a Concorde is fibreglass then; I really don't remember all that info. As I had selected the Morelo brand I was able to dump all that info I wouldn't need to store - old brains hurt faster. Forgive me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back