Our First Overseas Trip... (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
So, after 3 months of ownership and about 8 UK Campsites, and a couple of CL's visited we are finally off to the continent in June.. We can't wait..

We are fairly confident travellers, so not a lot fazes us... What will be, will be.. That said, I have a list of things to remember, and do, but would just like to ask the experienced travellers amongst us of things that are useful and definitely need to be taken...

I have obviously got the passport / licence / breakdown etc etc Anything (even the smallest item) gratefully appreciated.. (have got the PG Tips tea bags too(y))
Thanks
S&K

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
ACSI card, guide to aires.....also POI files on satnav for these two sets of stopping points...

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Campercontact as an app that will work offline.
Good map book.
Teabags!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Be aware that Calor gas is not available. Each country has it's own brands with differing connectors. Not a major problem but one to be aware of.

Wyn

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
Yellow vests, warning triangles springs to mind. It would help if you told us where you are going, as Spain for instance two triangles.

I think you'll love it, very much different to over here.

Dill

OP
OP
Steve and Kat
Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Yellow vests, warning triangles springs to mind. It would help if you told us where you are going, as Spain for instance two triangles.

I think you'll love it, very much different to over here.

Dill

Have a friend who owns a French campsite near Brittany, and another friend who has a house near Dordogne.. So France..
Thank you....

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Stop at STOP signs, they mean it ! Take 2 credit cards, carry 1 each, in case of loss or damage you still have one. Are you sorted for gas and water? Take a selection of hose fittings.
Be prepared to be amazed how calm, tranquil and relaxed you are when in France. You CAN park easily, no "Parking Eye" waiting to catch you!

OP
OP
Steve and Kat
Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Stop at STOP signs, they mean it ! Take 2 credit cards, carry 1 each, in case of loss or damage you still have one. Are you sorted for gas and water? Take a selection of hose fittings.
Be prepared to be amazed how calm, tranquil and relaxed you are when in France. You CAN park easily, no "Parking Eye" waiting to catch you!

Yep.. Gas is on our list to Re-Fill before we go.. Credit Cards.. Tick.. Water Hose Fittings... Tick..

Anymore ???

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Gaffer Tape............................

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget the vehicle documents original not a copy and have lots of fun!! MH manual !
Of course this is your HONEYMOON so you will have fun!!:LOL:

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Working tablet for apps i.e. Google earth, campercontacts, translator, park4night, WiFi connection. I struggled because I travelled with Amazon fire tablet which would not allow those apps

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you need glasses for driving remember a spare set, I may be wrong but I'm sure it's the law in France

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
When you enter towns there aren't usually and speed signs so be aware that a town name with a red line around it is 50 kph which equates to 30 mph.
If you are like me and use a garmin sat nav you'll get an audible warning.
Carry your logbook insurance etc with you in case its asked for,not copies.
Some useful information of road signs and handy phrases:
http://www.france-pub.com/french/french_traffic.htm

PAT N PAUL

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
keep trying to download the campercontact app but it keeps saying no result, am i doing something wrong ?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
ACSI card, guide to aires.....also POI files on satnav for these two sets of stopping points...
Bear in mind that the ACSI discount is only for out of peak season and as you're going in June, that's OK but not if late June as its peak in July. I had considered it but pointless this year as I'm doing 3 weeks but 2 in July.
All the Aires from Vicarious Books. Best value around. Use the Aires as generally they are brilliant.
Sat Nav able to take co ordinates.
DVD's if you have TV with DVD.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sense of humour when driver doesn't take the route advised by the navigator!!

OP
OP
Steve and Kat
Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
co-ordinates for sat nav to take you to Parc Verger!!

only kidding but if you are venturing down to the limousin feel free to drop in.

Thank you, Brittany is where we are headed, but we will try and find some sun...so who knows!!!

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
Sunscreen and flip flops...umbrella and wellies. It's been very changeable here in Brittany so far But I hope it is good for you, enjoy.
(Good point about the spare bulbs and driving specs btw)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Check up Halifax Clarity Card. Yes, its a credit card but the exchange rate is better than the high street or bank and there is no commission or fee so therefore its actually cheaper than paying cash but if asked particularly at ferry or train for shopping, pay in local currency, i.e. Euros.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I scanned all my documents and saved them to google drive, you could use dropbox or anything similar. Just means I have a copy of everything on a cloud drive should I need them. You must take originals of the hard copies with you. I use revolut card/app for currency, the best one in my view. I use clarity for credit card as its fee free abroad. All the aries book or camperstops book and some of the aires apps, camperstops etc. Search for sites is a useful website. A three broadband sim with a mifi is handy for internet. Two pin continental electric adaptor for the main electric (not always needed but sometimes, you can buy them in France if you forget).

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Oh and this is unique to me maybe as I am paranoid about keys...we have a key each and always have a ritual of asking the other if they have their keys before locking the door. last thing you need is to lock your self out of the van when abroad.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A planned route! It's always handy to have one, so that you can totally ignore it, and then you'll feel rebellious :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back