our first breakdown - the saga continues (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
From "our first breakdown" previous post we are now back to square one,with a hard lesson learned.

When the clutch failed in Scotland we had the MH recovered to the garage who had serviced and carried out the MOT.

After having the MH for a week and consulting a clutch and transmission man who they sub contract to it became apparent that no progress had been made. They were unwilling to tie up a vehicle lift whist removing the gearbox and as I had also overheard someone in the office saying they had not "done one of those before" The master cylinder had been changed to no avail. I felt that no progress could be made.

The next step they proposed was that the van would be taken to the Clutch and transmission man. I asked how it would be transported there, but no one at the garage had an answer. I then spoke to the clutch and transmission man, and during our conversation found out he did not have a lift that would lift the MH but had a "mate" nearby.

I was very unhappy with this and exchanged emails with the garage Managing Director, I also asked what insurance could be in place for work carried out in a sub-contractors mates garage.

The response from the M.D of the garage was if I was unhappy I could remove the MH at my expense within the next 24 hours. They would not charge for any of the investigation work carried out so far.

We had located a Fiat commercial vehicle garage, and having checked it out saw they were repairing Motorhomes, ambulances, delivery vans etc. So at our expense a recovery vehicle has moved the MH, work will commence on Thursday

The lesson; just because a garage will service and MOT a motor home they may not be a good place to have "heavy" work carried out.

Have the name of a couple of local commercial vehicle garages who have the capacity and technical ability to carry out work on your motor home ready with the breakdown insurance. Also pop round and have a look at what they are working on, and how they store vehicles, just in case the worst happens.

The saga continues

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Nice post...
We have found that our local council were capable and ideal for service and mot along with any big jobs too.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I was quite surprised to find on the Fiat camper assist app, that the nearest garage for service or breakdown is listed as a car dealership. I would have to drive past the very good Fiat commercials garage where I had the ignition switch done, to get there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
UPDATE

The fault was traced to air getting into the clutch slave cylinder. So as feared a gearbox out job. We have decided to have all the clutch components replaced as the major cost will be removing the gearbox. Our new garage appears to be very competent and we have been kept up to date with progress and costs. We expect to collect the MH next week.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back