Our Ferry just got cancelled, Portsmouth to Santander Fri 15 Dec 2018 (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Bad weather just cancelled our ferry this Friday from Portsmouth to Santander so now having to go Portsmouth to Caen and drive the rest of the way. Any tips on which way to cross the border as i dont want to go over the Pyranees again (last time very bad snow). I eventaully want to end up in the Algarve but i am guessing i need to cross over near biriatou i.e A63 then onto AP-8?

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Have you done any runs since Fiat changed your starter Zac?

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I've still got the problem with mine unfortunately but am managing it!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
That’s how we crossed the border, but we were in SW France already, currently in NE Portugal slowly making our way to southern Portugal. Very easy route. I don’t think you really have any other options given where you’re heading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
we are heading down from chunnel on 2nd jan tours poitiers Bordeaux san Sebastian then it goes south through mountains towards vitoria and miranda then burgos and joining route south at Palencia. all main roads are well looked after loads of snow plows no problems some tolls but not too expensive.no tolls after burgos .then just head for sevila and big orange ball in the sky.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
we are heading down from chunnel on 2nd jan tours poitiers Bordeaux san Sebastian then it goes south through mountains towards vitoria and miranda then burgos and joining route south at Palencia. all main roads are well looked after loads of snow plows no problems some tolls but not too expensive.no tolls after burgos .then just head for sevila and big orange ball in the sky.
Firstly I hope you have a good journey and a good holiday. Will look at that route it sounds interesting. Secondly, and most importantly I really hope the big orange ball is working to capacity as we will only be a few days behind you. Take care and enjoy.

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
we had similar situation few years ago.had always used Santander they cancelled at last minute and we started to go through france. We travel down from Gods own county in evening sleep at chunnel this side get 4.20 train then down as far as Poitiers Into Spain next day sleep near Salamanca then steady run down to ayamonte.very little traffic on ruta de la plata it tends to avoid all the towns and cities until northern edge of sevila. have a great time.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

This was the route we took, not a lot of issues only with our French toll tag which sometimes works and sometimes don’t. Worked on 3 tolls no issues then the last 3 or 4 just refused to work so ended up using credit card. The toll tag we have for Spain and Portugal however has been faultless. Much better and at present has not failed both in the motorhome towing the trailer as well as in the car.

We are now in the algarve making the most of the weather over the next few days before probably heading back towards Cartagena area as weather looks better there next week.

Who knows I am just glad to be here with no issues (touch wood)

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
Good to hear that. Its warmed up a bit hear in Scarborough but the Lancies have sent their rain over to us. Not long now..Last few checks then Espania and the big orange ball.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Good to hear that. Its warmed up a bit hear in Scarborough but the Lancies have sent their rain over to us. Not long now..Last few checks then Espania and the big orange ball.
We will be heading to Cartagena soon as the weather here is changing in a few days but over there it is still good. The advantage of house on wheels.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
This was the route we took, not a lot of issues only with our French toll tag which sometimes works and sometimes don’t. Worked on 3 tolls no issues then the last 3 or 4 just refused to work so ended up using credit card. The toll tag we have for Spain and Portugal however has been faultless. Much better and at present has not failed both in the motorhome towing the trailer as well as in the car.
How long have you had your tag? The batteries don't last forever, the early ones needed to be changed every 3/4 years.

Malcolm

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
How long have you had your tag? The batteries don't last forever, the early ones needed to be changed every 3/4 years.

Malcolm
This would be the 3rd year, strange as seemed to work on the 3 previous tolls. We are also under 3m so not a height issue. Could be something to do with certain tolls and counting the axles as we are towing a small car trailer. I would expect this on all tolls though.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Batteries, look at your on line account to see if they are suggesting a change.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Batteries, look at your on line account to see if they are suggesting a change.
Checked online and they say battery should last 5-7 years depending on usage. Mine hardly ever gets used probably used it 3 times since I owned it. In my account is shows activated and green with no mention of changing batteries.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mine just went change after 4 years which I think is a time thing so I changed it anyway, but in and out reception does sort of point to battery.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Mine just went change after 4 years which I think is a time thing so I changed it anyway, but in and out reception does sort of point to battery.
I think I will change the battery, what sort does it take ? Saves me taking it apart twice.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think I will change the battery, what sort does it take ? Saves me taking it apart twice.
If its the Sanef one the battery is not user replaceable, you have to order an additional tag on your account page, when that's delivered activate it online and then send back the old one for a refund. I think they will send to Europe?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
not a lot of issues only with our French toll tag which sometimes works and sometimes don’t.

When ours (originally Alis then taken over by Easy Trip) stopped working I guessed correctly that the 6 year old battery had died. No way to change so checked procedure online and returned it for free replacement. Not sure whether this can be done if you are not at home.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If its the Sanef one the battery is not user replaceable, you have to order an additional tag on your account page, when that's delivered activate it online and then send back the old one for a refund. I think they will send to Europe?
Ok great. I will sort this when I get home in January then. To be fair I shouldn’t need it now till next year as long as the Santander ferry doesn’t get cancelled going back. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When our SANEF Tag failed we looked on line for the nearest SANEF Office/Service Centre. They are usually near toll points on the Autoroutes in Northern France.

We called in and they exchanged it for a newer, smaller unit there and then. No hassle.

You can only change at SANEF centres, the other Tag providers will only exchange their own.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
When our SANEF Tag failed we looked on line for the nearest SANEF Office/Service Centre. They are usually near toll points on the Autoroutes in Northern France.

We called in and they exchanged it for a newer, smaller unit there and then. No hassle.

You can only change at SANEF centres, the other Tag providers will only exchange their own.
Thanks. No good for us as we are now in south of Spain hearing back via Santander to Portsmouth ferry unless it gets cancelled of course. Then it will be a long drive through France as need to ensure we are home by 8 Jan for work.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Sat here feeling happy, we were due to return on the 17th on the cancelled ,ferry to be home with family for xmas.
By chance we managed to pick up a cancellation on 7th complete with pet friendly cabin.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Sat here feeling happy, we were due to return on the 17th on the cancelled ,ferry to be home with family for xmas.
By chance we managed to pick up a cancellation on 7th complete with pet friendly cabin.
That’s good. The best they could give is was a week later which was useless. I am just praying it does not get cancelled on the way home. Fingers toes hands legs crossed.

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
batteries...had my pacemaker checked before departing..last another 10 years...will ask wifey if she can poke a hole in my chest to see what make battery is..on another note we had a good trip down to ayamonte stopped at Ruffec a bit basic then Burgos site very good for time of year then caceres site also good..both close to autovia..weather closed in behind us at Burgos but great no incident trip...greeted by orange ball as we approached Sevilla ..ayamonte sunny on arrival then whoosh ...rain..shouldn't have arrived on three kings it always rains..our present from grandkids (flu) still with us but had 1st game of golf yesterday ..somebody has to do it..Happy New Year

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We had 21 days of sun until we started to head back towards Santander 2 days ago. First day heading back left the sun in nijar and headed towards east Madrid. Arrived to loads of rain which went on all night. Left the next day for the last 5-6 hour drive to Santander in the rain, headed towards Burgos on the E5 motorway and that rain quickly turned to snow. As we continued it was worse. Could only use the inside lane as all other lanes covered. Snow ploughs were out but not going far enough up. After eventually making it to Santander sat sfternoon the heavens opened again but this time hail (a lot) enough to cover the roads in sheets of it. Worse weather I have seen for a long time. The funny thing was that ad we arrived in Santander we got a text from ferry company warning us to take care as heavy snow forecast for northern Spain. Still we made the boat and now on it. Been very rough on here though. Be glad to get off.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Well that was the worst crossing i have experienced since using this route, severely bad weather. The boat leaving the water it was so rough(the disadvantages of having a port hole to look out). I will now seriously consider driving next xmas as that was hurrendous, they delayed it docking by 3 hours as bad weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back