Our baby Rolling Home (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I know this should probably get lost in Showcase but thought it might be of interest to prospective RMB owners. RH is one of the last ones built by RMB before being subsumed into Pilote/Frankia. She is a mid range Bluestar though quite what was missing from a Silver I'm not sure, maybe habitation a/c??
Anyway she has the driver's door, a combined grill/oven and single fore/aft beds which were all high priority items on the wish list and arent seen on all that many RMB's.
She's big! 3.2m high and 2.45 wide out to 2.75 with the excellent mirrors and 7.5 long. The MB 616CDi chassis handles all this though and still gives us 1.3 tonnes of payload.. I still can't quite beleive that but TUV Ulm says its right enough. She is a sweetie to drive though and humming up the autobahn through side effects of Storm Katie and being passed by trucks showed little sidewind effect. Remarkable. I think she has some suspension gadgets fitted but just haven't had time to look fully yet.

We do have a few upgrades in the plans though, alarm/immobiliser, tyrepal and some others which I'll post about as and when if anyone is interested. Better here or in a blog??
Anyway here she is, and yes the previous owner, like the present one was a sailor...

upload_2016-4-19_15-12-38.png

upload_2016-4-19_15-13-45.png

upload_2016-4-19_15-14-29.png

Can you spot the Airbus A310?
upload_2016-4-19_15-15-40.png

upload_2016-4-19_15-16-50.png

upload_2016-4-19_15-21-52.png

Snoopy did stay with his owner though.
upload_2016-4-19_15-17-25.png

.. This really is a sailor's home, note the two highball glasses next to the minibar.... especially with Spiced Rum in Germany @ Euro9.99 a bottle...

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A lovely van have many great holidays in it!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Very nice looking van not dissimilar in layout to our Concorde Concerto and on the the same 616 cdi Sprinter and built in the same year. (y)

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I am not going to ask you how much she cost as I may start crying, having not long ago bought a new Hymer with the same length and layout.
Well then I won't tell you as I don't like to see people cry.. but if we run into each other down the road and you buy me a pint... well who knows?:drinks:. I paid the asking price and didn't haggle as I thought what was asked was on the money. In fact I actually got a very good deal as there was an awful lot of stuff included with her which wasn't apparent in the original ad and Wolfgang and his family were a huge help in the transfer process, finding out stuff for me from MB in Stuttgart and even getting me a high level contact at MB in the UK in case of any problems. He did a taxi service for my wife and I for nearly a week and took us to dinner with his family. An absolute gentleman, but I've heard from others that my experience is not unique among other private RMB sellers.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
nice, enjoy

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@funflair, it is a cracking van, having that cranked roof does make the sat aerial sit within the overall 3.3m height too which is useful

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair, it is a cracking van, having that cranked roof does make the sat aerial sit within the overall 3.3m height too which is useful
I know I'm saving up for a Vario Mobil Star with the same roof design and the Fibreglass bodywork as well, shame that RMB are not still going and building them like they used to as the Le voyageur/RMB's are not the same IMO.

Martin

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Le voyageur/RMB's are not the same IMO.
I bow to your experience in the matter, I'm a complete newbie to MH's other than looking and lusting after one for years. It was @Snowbird 's ad for his 670 that crystalised what I was after and what I thought might just appeal to my better half. Its looking like I was right.... Partly RH is also a survival kit. I knew if I just retired and (God forbid) ;) took up golf I'd be dead in a year.:LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I bow to your experience in the matter, I'm a complete newbie to MH's other than looking and lusting after one for years. It was @Snowbird 's ad for his 670 that crystalised what I was after and what I thought might just appeal to my better half. Its looking like I was right.... Partly RH is also a survival kit. I knew if I just retired and (God forbid) ;) took up golf I'd be dead in a year.:LOL:
You have not done bad for your first van(y), I thought we were brave getting the Flair as our first van but we had caravanned before so some experience.

I know what you mean about retirement though, we bought our van as we were easing out of the business so at 6 years old I could find some jobs to do on it "to keep busy".

Now time to go travelling, enjoy.

Martin

Kingsley

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Henley on Thames
Funster No
MH
RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
@Robin McHood, been offline for a bit and only now catching up with the thread. Your RMB looks truly amazing. As you may be able to tell we have Scottish roots and your story mirrors mine - I was inspired by @Snowbird's enthusiasm too. We are just waiting to get the docs back from the DVLA. (I used a consultant in Bristol to help with the forms.) I only sent them one part of the German registration documents and it seems they need both to verify the age. Once I get the plates done we will head off for a long weekend. Perhaps the Cotswolds? Back to the Scottish connection. Our kids live in Edinburgh and Glasgow so at some point we will be heading north. I'll let you know when we are in the vicinity and we can compare notes on how to operate the various appliances. ps I really like your wooden inlays around the dash. We have a 1992 Saab 900i convertible and the "cockpit" makes it a joy to drive.

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@Robin McHood, Once I get the plates done we will head off for a long weekend. Perhaps the Cotswolds? Back to the Scottish connection. Our kids live in Edinburgh and Glasgow so at some point we will be heading north. I'll let you know when we are in the vicinity and we can compare notes on how to operate the various appliances. ps I really like your wooden inlays around the dash. We have a 1992 Saab 900i convertible and the "cockpit" makes it a joy to drive.
Huh small world, we are off to the Cotswolds in my next leave, as part of a small tour while having various things done to RH. Do let us know when you are up our way, and I salute your choice of towable :D:D our ambition is only a Fiat500 :D:D

OP
OP
Robin McHood
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@Robin McHood. We are just waiting to get the docs back from the DVLA. (I used a consultant in Bristol to help with the forms.) I only sent them one part of the German registration documents and it seems they need both to verify the age.
I found DVLA very helpful, their phoneline assist sorted out the correct tax class for me and told me what bits on the form I could leave blank. I hadn't put in the Revenue Weight and they emailed me about it. We got the registration docs about 3 days after their email. It was actually a whole lot simpler and easier than I thought it was going to be with no CoC and a build date that fell right in the middle of the change over period plus the size, but that actually worked in our favour for a change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back