Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My story just might help someone with 3 way fridge trouble so here goes;

We've had our motorhome 3 years now and the fridge was always ok even in Spain's high ambient temperatures, until suddenly about a year ago we were in Spain, temperatures were the usual high twenties and I noticed the fridge evaporator wasn't frosting at all, just felt cold with condensation on it and the beers were chilled, but not properly cold.
I remembered the evaporator always used to ice up because I had to defrost it once a fortnight or so. The freezer seemed unaffected.
I did all the usual checks, the heater was working, the current consumption tallied with 120w, I tried it on gas and it was marginally better but still didn't frost. The stat was OK (never actually switched off) The only thing left it could be was the absorption unit, so I took the fridge out and turned it upside down, put it all back in and... no different.
Long story short, it was under warranty so the dealership swapped the actual absorption cooling unit for a brand new one last December. Seemed better on the way home, but come April when we went to Portugal, you've guessed it.. Exactly the same problem... I began to question my sanity.
When we got home I decided to take the aluminium fins off inside to see if the actual evaporator pipework behind would frost, (ie in an unloaded state) I found the screws to be loose holding it on and the heat transfer paste was quite sparse and quite dried. The pipework behind frosted up great so I ordered some tubes of heat transfer paste on ebay, plastered it on and reassembled tightly. I must admit I didn't have any faith in it working any differently.
But look!
20170907_183728.jpg

FROST! GLORIOUS FROST! just like I remembered it!

So if you're having fridge (not freezer) trouble, check your paste.

Leccy Man

Free Member
Oct 24, 2017
North Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Richard and Ann.
Two days ago I read your posting,i am also having problems with my fridge but slightly different to yours as my fridge will reach temperature but the burner or element remained o.I decided to have a look behind the fins and found a lack of paste.After spreading some paste this has resolved the problem. Many thanks for your posting.
Regards Leccy man.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, could you post a link to the heat transfer paste you used from eBay please?

Thanks Dave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Someone has been asking about my fridge and how I did it so I'm posting some photos to help anybody else.
IMAG0941.jpg

This is the old dry paste on the back of the aluminium fin plate.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
This is the evaporator pipe frosting with no heat load on it. To test it will actually frost up.
IMAG0942.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Richard and Ann
Hi, I've been reading up about the thermal transfer paste on the aluminium find in my fridge. I decided to renew it and whilst working ok, my fridge is 16 years old so thought I'd treat it to new paste.
My pipe looks much like yours, ie sunk in a foam material and I assume old paste.
Do I leave this alone and just spread the new paste all over the back of the fins and reassemble ?
Thanks
Chris

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks for this @ Richard and Ann. i am always having a moan that my fridge is not fit for purpose. just ordered two tubes, lets see it if will make any difference

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Richard and Ann
Hi, I've been reading up about the thermal transfer paste on the aluminium find in my fridge. I decided to renew it and whilst working ok, my fridge is 16 years old so thought I'd treat it to new paste.
My pipe looks much like yours, ie sunk in a foam material and I assume old paste.
Do I leave this alone and just spread the new paste all over the back of the fins and reassemble ?
Thanks
Chris
Clean all the old paste off and put plenty new on ?
It's hidden behind the fins so doesn't matter if you put too much on ?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Clean all the old paste off and put plenty new on ?
It's hidden behind the fins so doesn't matter if you put too much on ?
sorry if this sounds daft, but should anything be used to clean off the old paste or is it just a good scrape

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There is very little on the aluminium fin plate and what remains on fridge is mostly around the pipe which is recessed in what looks like foam. Presumably I leave that alone as to try and clean would risk damaging the pipe.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There is very little on the aluminium fin plate and what remains on fridge is mostly around the pipe which is recessed in what looks like foam. Presumably I leave that alone as to try and clean would risk damaging the pipe.
It's a pretty substantial steel pipe .........

Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Richard and Ann and Manic
Thanks for a great post and thanks to Manic for finding it and supplying me with paste! Really helps when you're struggling on your own to have this site!!
Nikki
Great Post will look into that tomorrow thanks for the information.

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Just replaced the thermal paste on our thetford fridge. On mains it has definitely reduced the temperature but in honesty the fridge installation leaves a lot to be desired. Ducato panel van and the inner structure behind the outer panels does restrict air flow. Also there is a void above the back of the fridge. I have placed insulation between the outer van skin and the back of the fridge to try to ensure the air flow is over the heat exchanger pipes and fins and also placed an angled baffle to get the airflow out of the top vent and not just filling the void I mentioned. Fitted two computer fans on a manual switch which help. I’ll give it another go but keep looking at compressor fridge advertisements…..

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just replaced the thermal paste on our thetford fridge. On mains it has definitely reduced the temperature but in honesty the fridge installation leaves a lot to be desired. Ducato panel van and the inner structure behind the outer panels does restrict air flow. Also there is a void above the back of the fridge. I have placed insulation between the outer van skin and the back of the fridge to try to ensure the air flow is over the heat exchanger pipes and fins and also placed an angled baffle to get the airflow out of the top vent and not just filling the void I mentioned. Fitted two computer fans on a manual switch which help. I’ll give it another go but keep looking at compressor fridge advertisements…..
I eventually converted ours to compressor, it's great now, and free to run 😊

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
OK it’s a tad warm near Tarbes, mid thirties but the fridge has had a touch of the vapours, or not if you get my drift. Fitted fans, insulated, new thermal paste, new burner, new thingy on the cooling fins and even on mains it’s struggling to get below 18 in the cabinet and my sliced lemon for the gin is just frozen in the freezer. Pah. Heading up the Pyrenees which might help but I reckon over winter I’m heading for a compressor type. Any suggestions on make?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
OK it’s a tad warm near Tarbes, mid thirties but the fridge has had a touch of the vapours, or not if you get my drift. Fitted fans, insulated, new thermal paste, new burner, new thingy on the cooling fins and even on mains it’s struggling to get below 18 in the cabinet and my sliced lemon for the gin is just frozen in the freezer. Pah. Heading up the Pyrenees which might help but I reckon over winter I’m heading for a compressor type. Any suggestions on make?
You can remove the absorption plant and fit a compressor kit on the existing fridge box.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back