Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
On a trip to the Lake District a couple of weeks ago we suffered a mishap; on a typical Lake District road (two lanes but just, bends every couple of yards, busy, overgrown etc.) we got too close to the nearside and unfortunately there was something solid in there - a wall, a post, I know not what - resulting in damage to the wing mirror, side guttering, roll out awning, habitation door hinges, both near side habitation windows, and the gas water heater cowl. Basically everything protruding got clouted - we were very lucky no damage was done to the 'van bodywork itself, another inch or two would have been disastrous.

As it is, the quote we've received for repairs from Cleveland Motorhomes is over £3000.00, so bang goes the no-claims.

My principal reason for posting (apart from sharing my sorrows) is that I hope this my act as a cautionary tale for other relative newcomers to motorhoming; I was getting quite blase about driving the 'van, had stopped thinking about the extra width as I believed I'd got used to it, and basically just got overconfident - I wasn't driving too quickly but I certainly wasn't taking the care I should have been. Pride does indeed go before a fall!

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Ouch indeed

When we had the RV although fortunately didnt have anything quite so major but the knocks and scrapes from parking we ended up naming as a momento:Smile: before we got rid of it we had Paris, Bruges and Lake Garda and can remember how I did each one vividly (post, tree etc) :RollEyes: I too used to get a little over confident with knowing the size:Doh: or not knowing the size as the case may be:Blush:

Hope it all gets fixed soon
Take care
G

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Thank you

Well done not many of us put our hand up and say IT WAS MY FAULT. We can all get a bit over confident at times ,a lesson for us all thank you and I hope the repair goes well and you are out and about soon
Dave and June dotsontour

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Well most would have not said it was my fault:thumb: so you have learnt something you will not easily forget, no one was hurt and your van came away without being too badly damaged, see there is always a bright side if you look hard enough::bigsmile:.
let us all know how the repairs go :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same scenario many years ago in a car.

forced too far to the left by a bread (mothers pride) truck.

deep gouge, deep enough to split the panels, the full length of the car at waist height caused by a wayward stone protruding from wall in the underrgrowth.

driver never stopped....who do you sue ?.
no damage to the truck so he wasnt going to hold his hands up to running me off the road...was he !
i was a young driver with only 3rd party insurance so ended up scrapping the car

most lakeland roads are bordered by very robust drystone walls....even if you cant see them.....and the stone wallers werent to bothered about keeping the sides relatively smooth and even.

remember, many of these walls were built when the horse and cart ruled the roads..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back