Ouch! (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
This morning Dixie went in for her MOT. As far as I was aware there was nothing wrong with her but I did not count on the new super careful tester. He managed to find a slither of metal about 8mm x 8mm, possibly originally a smallish washer, that had slipped into one of those very tiny slits in a tyre tread.
  • Nearside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))
Although I could not really see it he insisted that it had gone right through the rubber and exposed a tiny area of the steel wire cord. This was enough to cause an MOT fail. Changing just one tyre on the axle was not really sensible as both tyre had done 20k miles so I needed two Michelin 225/75 16R 116Q. Needless to say these are not cheap. So, including the MOT cost I'm £400 lighter in my wallet :crying:.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know "what size cut is in excess of the requirements? Coz if the washer had fallen out there was now way the tiny "damage" would have been found.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
That's expensive for two tyres! Id only pay £75 for budget and £100 for name brand tyres.

Cheers James

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This morning Dixie went in for her MOT. As far as I was aware there was nothing wrong with her but I did not count on the new super careful tester. He managed to find a slither of metal about 8mm x 8mm, possibly originally a smallish washer, that had slipped into one of those very tiny slits in a tyre tread.
  • Nearside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))
Although I could not really see it he insisted that it had gone right through the rubber and exposed a tiny area of the steel wire cord. This was enough to cause an MOT fail. Changing just one tyre on the axle was not really sensible as both tyre had done 20k miles so I needed two Michelin 225/75 16R 116Q. Needless to say these are not cheap. So, including the MOT cost I'm £400 lighter in my wallet :crying:.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know "what size cut is in excess of the requirements? Coz if the washer had fallen out there was now way the tiny "damage" would have been found.
Did you not ask the tyre man if it was repairable before fitting new?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie

"If by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail?"

Reference from: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...les-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
if the cut is deep enough to reach the cords its a fail and not repairable,better to have been found than a tyre failure when on your travels
True enough.
My motorbike MOT tester was given a hard time by the owner when he was testing the brakes on the bike before mine and the nipple on the front brake cable pulled off.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
My volvo passed mot at volvo they said rear tyre is a pass but needs changing screw in it. Took it to local depot and he flicked it out with his nail it was 2mm long off a kids toy battery compartment

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If cord is visible it is always a fail, he did you a favour, sometimes a tyre blowout causes a catastrophic accident so better safe then sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back