OUCH!!!Damage to offside rear lights and side panel. (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2020
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
5 years and still learning
I have contacted several panel repairers and all have the same, it needs a full new side panel or "we can't do it".I reckon that will cost mega bucks.The van is a 2005 Swift Sundance 630L.With recovery costs and repairs I've an awful feeling insurance will write it off:swear2::swear2:. Any off you good peeps out there know,within Yorkshire area, who would repair a metre square patch on the side.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Having found out the cost of repair it may be worth contacting your insurance company. If they do write it off, they may give you two options: 1] pay you its value and they take possession, or 2] they pay you under its value and you keep it. Obviously your no-claims will take a knocking.

I'm basing my limited knowledge on having a car written off by some scrote putting a crease in one of its door whilst in a work's car park. They gave me the two options. Option 1 was higher than the same models were going for on Autotrader, so I contested the amount and they gave me even more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Pictures are always useful to appraise the level of repairs needed.
I have found 2 motorhome bumper repairers one in Canvey Island, London, another in Southampton, neither are very close to home and will involve leaving the van with them for 4/5 days, so two journeys to & from by train.
Most parts have to be repaired as many times they are no longer available from the manufacturer, unless you are lucky enough to track them down at a scrap dealer like O Leary's.
Others on here may help more when they see the pictures of what needs sorting.
LES

BorisBolero

Free Member
May 12, 2018
Funster No
Try D A Hulse near Derby - at least it's at your end of the country. They have done repairs to both GRP and a flat aluminium side for me. Both have been excellent and reasonably priced. He may possibly give a quote from e-mailed photos.
Oh, and the quality of the work vastly exceeds the appearance of the site!!
I would also be interested to see photos.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have found 2 motorhome bumper repairers one in Canvey Island, London, another in Southampton, neither are very close to home and will involve leaving the van with them for 4/5 days, so two journeys to & from by train.
Most parts have to be repaired as many times they are no longer available from the manufacturer, unless you are lucky enough to track them down at a scrap dealer like O Leary's.
LES
Just for the record O'Learys (E Yorks) are NOT a scrap dealer, the obtain new 'old' stock from dealers, manufacturers etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try FM Caravans in Hull

1622124158312.png

We had a Rimor bricked all along one side in Holland including windows, cab door and rear bumper, when they'd repairs it (no panel replacement) you really could NOT tell where it had been damaged.

Damage.jpg
Rimor damage.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When you say "Bricked" Minxy Girl, what happened exactly?, bet you cried your eyes out at the time, I most certainly would have.
LES
We got 'bricked' in Holland on an aire (yes they do have some!) totally out of the blue, with lots of other MHs there. I think we had 7 bricks thrown at us in total (these are the smaller Dutch ones about half the height as our UK bricks). It was the local youths up to 'mischief' (this happened at around 3.00 am on a Sunday which is the day/time they 'act up' apparently!). Unfortunately as we were at the end of the aire ours was the one that got 'stuffed'!

I put a full report on another forum here:

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Burnt down (n)
That's bad news, but it does explain the notice on their web site:

Important notice​

Due to unforeseen circumstances & a situation out of our control, we are currently not able to operate at full capacity.

Our team is still on hand to provide any advice, guidance and help where we can. Should you need to contact us, please email us at info@motorhomebodyrepairs.co.uk and check the website for updates.

Any idea what happened?

EDIT: It seems an accidental electrical fault in a vehicle started it and caused quite a blaze.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Another vote for FM and O'Leary's hull. friend had some work done by someone based at Hull bridge Farm there was also a coachbuild place near Malmo road, Hull but can't recall the name or if it has survived the past few months, Again though a picture would be helpful so as others can give the best advice

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another vote for FM and O'Leary's hull. friend had some work done by someone based at Hull bridge Farm there was also a coachbuild place near Malmo road, Hull but can't recall the name or if it has survived the past few months, Again though a picture would be helpful so as others can give the best advice
You're not thinking of Plaxton Bridge Road are you as that's where O'Learys are.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
You're not thinking of Plaxton Bridge Road are you as that's where O'Learys are.
No he said the workshop was at a farm and gave that name, only a couple of miles from o'Learys.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
LES
You got it finally repaired then Les? Just asking!!!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Mate AC/DC
Regretfully not yet, what with lock down, bad weather, plus a bout of bad health recently, on both sides, not a lot of anything has been done this last year. Really gutted, just had to cancel going to The Thetford Bash, just not well enough, cant even walk too far, without pain in the nether region.
But I am optimistic, one can only live in hope as they say.
Hope your OK, I know you are going through a lot also, hope to get together on a grassy field soon, loved our chats.(y):giggle:
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back