Ou est le cycling routes (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Look on-line for the area you're interested. There's usually a good path alongside canals and a good littering of Velo Vertes but the minor roads are not busy so reasonably safe. Just get on the bike(s) and explore, using your senses.

Deleted User
Update your Google maps and there's a new icon in the menu for cycling routes.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
It depends on what you want to do. Do you only want to cycle on cycle ways or do you mean good routes to cycle?

We have cycled extensively in France using nothing more than good maps, Google and Strava. We don't really use cycle ways but there is an excellent cycle path along the Loire. Google voie verte for French cycle paths if that is what you are looking for.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks OwnedByCollies and Grianan.

2x2camper. I want to think of mh routes I'm going to do and what
aires we may stay at, having first looked at what cycling areas /
routes might suit us, and very preferably not too much on roads. The
general plan is go down the E side of France in March maybe until we
hit the south of France, so I'm initially looking at cycle friendly routes
that way but I want to build up some cycling links for anywhere in France.

Sillious Sodus ooh that sounds great, thanks!

clanjones. We're not cyclists at all really we bought them in 2018
and I guess we've cycled 40 miles since then. I will probably convert
the bikes to ebikes later in the year but to begin with I want to find
easy routes and then progressively get more ambitious so that by the
time we swap to ebikes we've a bit more fitness and general savoir
faire on the bikes.

>Do you only want to cycle on cycle ways or do you mean good routes to cycle?

I mostly mean easy green routes and very quiet small country roads.
What for you makes a good route?

two exploring is what it's all about but I want to know something
about an area first, eg I don't want to tell my oh we're going to
pop along a nice looking short route only to find it means ascending
the massif central :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Our first time cycling in France we cycled 750km from Bordeaux to Port La Nouvelle. over 10 days. We had our (then) 9yo son and 15yo daughter with us. We carried tents, clothes and cooking equipment with us. Predominantly, we cycled on flat tow paths and that would still be my preferred option now.
Our last time in France this summer we cycled a little along the Med coast (on the flat) and along the Loire. Other, much fitter folk, tackled the hills!
Burgundy looks as if it has good cycle networks along the canals where you can do shorter loops from your motorhome and this is on my ‘hit list’.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
ToBoldlyGo Last year, with help from this very forum, I started off with the Canal du Midi. As the name suggests it is alongside the canal so no hills at all. Since that I have done a few of the canal/river routes nearly all of the on the flat.
I do the planning by looking for an area I want to visit then look on the map for either the Velo route or a canal. I then stop at an Aire, the first day I ride back the way I came and then back to the Aire, the second day I ride the other way and back to the motorhome, on the third day I move to a new Aire further along my route and pitch up for two nights and repeat the process moving my way along my adventure.
I do have the big advantage of no time restraints and have been able to see lots of things I had previously missed by rushing through to get to ....
Phil

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you want a combination of easy flat and safe cycling combined with sun and sea try Gruissan, near Narbonne.
Couple of aires or a campsite, lots of cycle paths and quiet lanes and no one worries when you ride around the marina and along by the beach.
You can ride into the centre of Narbonne, along the coast to Narbonne Plage and through vineyards and woods.
Cyclists have priority at many road crossings and French drivers give you plenty of room if you are on the road.
We will be back there again just as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer and if you are heading that way in March I can show you some smashing easy rides. (y) :cool:

Richard.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Bon.... très bien tout ça! MAIS .... ça ne s'appelle pas des "cycling routes" , ça s'appelle des "pistes cyclables"
So when in France look for the French word for it. If asking at the reception of a small Mairie, you might face someone who will just understand the French words for it. ..... Just Saying

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Excellent off road cycling along the Gironde estuary, we like to stay at St Palais sur Mer

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
ToBoldlyGo re. Routes - it is really what ticks your boxes. We took up tandem cycling 4 years ago and I never dreamt we would achieve some of the rides we have done.

So as you say start slowly and build up. Mountains ticks our boxes, but it is not for everyone hence my original thoughts!

The key thing is whatever you do make sure you enjoy it! The French Green Routes would be a good starting point I think.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Here's another example of the kind of websites I'm looking for to plan out our tour from calais to somewhere round the côte d'azur:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
That sounds just the thing, thanks Richard. Let me just go find where Narbon ne is .. I found it now, it's further west than I was thinking of, but the idea is to spend the whole of March on this tour and frankly I know so little about France and this will be only our second tour, it's easy for me to say we'll go a particular way buto unless it's one of the areas I be heard of such as Alsace I've no idea whether the routes enjoyable or not.

If you want a combination of easy flat and safe cycling combined with sun and sea try Gruissan, near Narbonne.
Couple of aires or a campsite, lots of cycle paths and quiet lanes and no one worries when you ride around the marina and along by the beach.
You can ride into the centre of Narbonne, along the coast to Narbonne Plage and through vineyards and woods.
Cyclists have priority at many road crossings and French drivers give you plenty of room if you are on the road.
We will be back there again just as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer and if you are heading that way in March I can show you some smashing easy rides. (y) :cool:

Richard.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks. I learnt "Le chenille" through the forum not something that language apps teach and pistes cyclables is another phrase to add to my motor homing vocabulary!

Bon.... très bien tout ça! MAIS .... ça ne s'appelle pas des "cycling routes" , ça s'appelle des "pistes cyclables"
So when in France look for the French word for it. If asking at the reception of a small Mairie, you might face someone who will just understand the French words for it. ..... Just Saying

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Thanks. I learnt "Le chenille" through the forum not something that language apps teach and pistes cyclables is another phrase to add to my motor homing vocabulary!
Errrr... escuse me sir, I have to put you right here, it is LA chenille .... I know, masculine and feminine are a pain, but if you have to learn, then best to learn the proper words !:giggle:;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I love Fun, I even get language lessons ;)

Errrr... escuse me sir, I have to put you right here, it is LA chenille .... I know, masculine and feminine are a pain, but if you have to learn, then best to lear the proper words !:giggle:;)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Actually thinking of Chenilles, we usually use plural , so LES chenilles , as you seldom have a prob with one only. While we use LA chenille for children's ride!
Makes me think of a song we usually have for weddings parties!!! happy day everyone!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back