Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
I did ask about the Oshkosh chassis in my other thread, but it kinda wondered off course a bit ::bigsmile:, so I thought I would try again.....
I have found a coach with an Oshkosh chassis that weighs in at 16000lbs, so I could drive it legally on my C1+E license, and here is a Link Removed to one.
My question is:
Are these chassis any good? I guess they are but does anyone know of any flaws that I should be aware of? Are these ok for servicing and can parts be sourced easily? I know the Chevy motor is sound enough, but any ideas if this is a Chevy gearbox or something else?
I am really looking for simple answers to this question so I can make a decision about whether to think further about the coach or not, just want to be pre armed really.....
Many thanks in advance

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Dunno Keith

But looks nice and diesel.

What I can tell you though is it's pain in the ar$e having a big un and finding petrol station to fill em up on.

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
Yep that is one of the major reasons that I want to go for another diesel (whether or not Red Ken likes them), they are a LOT easier to refuel IMO, and I love the sound of that big old diesel with its enormous helicopter type fan running away every so often :ROFLMAO: Easily pleased me :ROFLMAO:

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Faster pump and always accessible.

Love mine but it can be stressful, you can be on a pump and some ar$e come next to you and makes exiting imposable till they have finished shopping or queueing to get on a favoured pump and some ar$e in a Nova whips in on it:Doh:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
You won't hear the engine if its a pusher, well, unless your stood outside and Sharon's driving!

By the way, that coach looks fab, alot nicer than the one I told you about before! Look forward to seeing it!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi keith, that looks a nice bit of kit, never realised you could get a DP under 7.5 tonnes. Have you tried asking about them on any of the yank sites?

I know jim raves about sparten but if we bought another one the chassis type would not be a consideration. Non of them handle like a racing car.::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Olley
Looks like I am going to have to ask over the pond mate, no-one seems to know much this side???? I am not really interested in the performance and handling aspects in the respect of racing it :ROFLMAO: I am more interested to know about the handling and ride and the servicing aspects in the UK, as well as any potential weaknesses, so I guess it is going to be a case of suck it and see :Smile:
Thanks anyway matey.....

Keith

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Hi Keith

I obviously can't help on your specific question. But that looks a super coach!

I'm really posting to say if you're buying from Gold RV, I found them really useful, and very straight.

Gary there (proprietor?) couldn't have been more helpful in sorting an electrical problem for me, and then in getting my LPG adaptor thread-chased to suit the LPG tank.

He's a genuine guy, and it's not his fault if he happens to be into Hardly Dangerous motorbikes. . .:ROFLMAO:

Hope our transatlantic cousins can help you on the chassis question. I've always had quick responses from US forums, mainly I guess because there's so many more people into RV's over there. There only seem to be a dozen of us this side of the pond!

Good luck

Bruce

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi Keith, servicing? thats no problem, surely our friend at roade will do that for you.::bigsmile:

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
To be honest layout comes first in my book. If this chassis was problematic surely we would here about it from time to time.

Ask Duncan at Star Spangled Spanners:winky:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
That's a possibility Olley :roflmto:
Haven't heard from Dunc for a while, I'll bet he is run off his feet. The layout is perfect John, the engine is a known quantity, the quality of the build seems to be terrific so it is only the underpinnings that are unknown to me now, which is why I asked the question mate ::bigsmile:

I just found this on a USA website:

Unless I'm confused the Deere chassis was originally the Chrysler Class A chassis which was also sold as Oshkosh at one point. It was sold with both Chevy and Ford powertrains at various times. It was a better actual chassis than either Ford or Chevy IMO because of wider track and generally better attention to detail in getting the suspension and steering geometry correct. Parts are readily available and I'd have no hesistation in buying one in good condition. As a point of reference I wouldn't have another Chevy P chassis on a bet and view the Ford F-53 chassis with some degree of moderate enthusiasm at best.

So I am a little more comforted now :roflmto:
The search continues :Smile:

Keith

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Keith

Lovely looking coach mate and it ticks all your boxes.. :winky:
Oshkosh have a good reputation, when I was searching it was on my list with Freightliner and Spartan.. it's definitely worth a closer inspection.

Jim

P

prestige

Deleted User
Oshkosh

Keith

Had a lot of dealings with oshkosh (freightliner) over the years, good solid chassis,easy to work on and obtain parts, the only fault i know of was that when fleetwood built the flair on the pusher chassis there was a problem with the engine fan assembly which would shere and hit the radiator,Brownhills at the time had to recover quite a few flair pushers from around the country.a few things to check
1) throttle cable is easy to push down
2) Brake hoses are all ok
3) no engine tapping

steve

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Steve
Glad that you found us matey :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks for your help and advise. I will make sure that it is gone through with a fine tooth comb before I collect it.... With the fan fault, do you think that the ones that had the fault would have all been sorted out by now? Or is it an ongoing thing? I am guessing that it was a design / manufacturing fault and they modified something to fix it?
Thanks again mate and I really hope that you enjoy this site, don't forget to advertise your business and the fact that you can supply RV windscreens :thumb:

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
So is this Fleetwood the one your looking at Keith?

It's keenly priced being a pusher.

C'mon spill the beans:winky:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
Thanks for your interest in whatever my next RV MIGHT be :ROFLMAO:
I imagine that there are quite a few Fleetwoods for sale at the moment and as we are in negotiation with a prospective seller, I am not really inclined to "spill the beans" until I know it is mine and that all the i's are dotted and t's crossed mate. That is why I am asking questions like this to make absolutely sure that I eliminate as many issues as possible before parting with our cash. I have trawled a number of US sites for info and feel that I have learned a lot now.
Call me superstitious but I don't want anything to go awry at this point in time.
You all will know soon enough........... :thumb::thumb:

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John
Thanks for your interest in whatever my next RV MIGHT be :ROFLMAO:
I imagine that there are quite a few Fleetwoods for sale at the moment and as we are in negotiation with a prospective seller, I am not really inclined to "spill the beans" until I know it is mine and that all the i's are dotted and t's crossed mate. That is why I am asking questions like this to make absolutely sure that I eliminate as many issues as possible before parting with our cash. I have trawled a number of US sites for info and feel that I have learned a lot now.
Call me superstitious but I don't want anything to go awry at this point in time.
You all will know soon enough........... :thumb:

Keith

Well hurry up then as we NEED to know:roflmto::winky:

Nosey or what?:roflmto::roflmto:

P

prestige

Deleted User
oshkosh

Hi

Would think all flairs are now well sorted, have not heard of any problems.

steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back