OS maps (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you have an Android phone or tablet you can download a free app, OS Atlas, from Google Play. This gives full access to the entire OS mapping for the UK up to 1:25000 scale for free. If you want to print you can do a screen grab and email to your pc.
I use it frequently when planning walks and visits to unfamiliar areas
I've looked on itunes but can't find anything similar for iphone users.

Sid

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
If you have an Android phone or tablet you can download a free app, OS Atlas, from Google Play. This gives full access to the entire OS mapping for the UK up to 1:25000 scale for free. If you want to print you can do a screen grab and email to your pc.
I use it frequently when planning walks and visits to unfamiliar areas
I've looked on itunes but can't find anything similar for iphone users.

Sid

I have had this on my iPhone for almost 2 years or more....

On my iPhone the App is called OS GB 250k, but I think if you search it's GB Road Atlas 250k..::bigsmile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The only problem with it - at least on my Samsung S2 on Orange - is that the maps are not stored on the device, which means you need to be in a good signal area for it to work, which immediately rules out most places where you are likely to really need it. I'm thinking Lake District, N.Wales, Scotland etc etc.
So for me it is no substitute for the pukka folding map.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Works offline on my iPhone.....

without problem.................:thumb:

but thats not been a problem as on "3" I have always had signal in the Lakes, N Wales and all of Scotland right up to Cape Wrath...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have had this on my iPhone for almost 2 years or more....

On my iPhone the App is called OS GB 250k, but I think if you search it's GB Road Atlas 250k..::bigsmile:

Sounds like this is the road atlas which is 1:250k. I' talking about the 1:25k series which is OS Explorer.

The only problem with it - at least on my Samsung S2 on Orange - is that the maps are not stored on the device, which means you need to be in a good signal area for it to work, which immediately rules out most places where you are likely to really need it. I'm thinking Lake District, N.Wales, Scotland etc etc.
So for me it is no substitute for the pukka folding map.

I agree, but its value is in researching an area before visiting rather than spending money on the map you might not use. Likewise I would always use a paper map on the hill and would never rely on a phone app.
I think that the entire UK digital mapping is measured in many gigabytes if not terabytes so like Google maps you do need a signal.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
You can buy the OS maps from View Ranger. They are not cheap but they do work offline. I think you can buy all GB or pick tiles relative to where you want to visit. I think you can also get the national parks.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Take a look at Osmand too. You can download maps, as many as you like in the paid-for version so you don't need a data link.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back