DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On another non-MH forum you can post a section of an OS map if you add under it the following lines:

©Crown copyright 2021 Ordnance Survey. Media 018/21

The first part is straightforward but the "Media 018/21" puzzles me. A rummage around the Web suggests it may be the licence the forum holds to show bits of OS maps.

Does MHF have such a licence or are is there another way to legally show OS mapping? Jim

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You must have to pay as since 2015 their main source of income is from it, according to their main page.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/governance/crown-copyright
I think there is a way round this for limited non-commercial use. This might be an issue on here as clearly MHF is commercially run with annual subs. The forum I referred to is free and non-profit making and this may be why they allow map screenshots to be shown if they have the correct wording under them.

Edit: Just found on the other forum a thread about this and they do have a licence. It needs renewing annually which is why the wording for this year ends in 21. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
For those that don't know, of you are using a pc/laptop (not a tablet or phone), Bing maps has OS 1:25k and 1:50k layers for the whole of the UK.

https://bing.com/maps

Select it in the top right corner. I use it all the time at work. There are ways to "fudge" it to work on mobile devices by using "show desktop site" but it's not likely to be very usable that way.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For those that don't know, of you are using a pc/laptop (not a tablet or phone), Bing maps has OS 1:25k and 1:50k layers for the whole of the UK.

https://bing.com/maps

Select it in the top right corner. I use it all the time at work. There are ways to "fudge" it to work on mobile devices by using "show desktop site" but it's not likely to be very usable that way.
I use the OS Maps subscription thingy. It is £27 a year from memory but gives you access to all the OS mapping in GB (not NI) and works brilliantly on mobile devices. Your current position is shown on the map.

I could show a screenshot from today's walk but I'm not sure how to do that legally - hence this thread. :)

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
I think that's the one my wife uses for running, I was thinking more of using links to bing maps on here to at least show points of interest, but if course not not much use for mobile users.

You can always share your routes as GPX files that will open in most map programs and maps, but I don't expect that's much help.

Hopefully there is way forward with a free license to display maps on the forum, it's always nice to have a look at a good old annotated OS extract.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
OS maps online subs for multiple devices (they did have an Easter deal 25% off if memory serves )

Reactions: DBK
Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I used it on my phone a few years ago but found that it drained the battery for fun. Not sure if thats still the case.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used it on my phone a few years ago but found that it drained the battery for fun. Not sure if thats still the case.
It does run the gps in the phone. Today's walk was a longish one of about 5 hours and the battery went down from 100% to about 60%.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back