Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Nicole if I'm reading correctly that the ferry fare is £225 :eek: then I think I will have to give this a miss. I had no idea it would cost that much.

Costs are all adding up for Scotland meets and for that price I would rather wait until I had more time to explore the islands.
Don't know how the others feel but maybe a meet on the mainland might be an alternative depending on your numbers. Just my tuppence worth.
That's a very much WTF moment, are we sure that's the price?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Pentland Ferries - 7m m/h + 2 adults - return fare looks like £182

Quite a bit less for shorter vehicles.

£225 looks like the fare for something under 7m with 'tother lot - they would want nearer £240 for 7m.

It does come as a bit of a downer, I must admit.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Simon where are you getting that figure from?or is that one way from somewhere?

Looking at the Pentlandite website its £75 one way for motorhome and £16 x 2 persons = £112 therefore return £224 .

If it is what it is then I think we might just go on the bus from Wick and do a day trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi,:hi: think I agree with you @irnbru , didn't think it was going to be that price, wouldn't mind if we were staying for longer, but only staying a few days, so a lot to pay for a short time. A meet on the mainland and a day trip sounds a very good option.(y)(y) . Look forward to hearing what the others think.
Mew

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I don't know what to think there are three of us and we were thinking of towing car . Just for 4 days it definitely is not worth it for us . Will talk it over with bill . Will get back to you Sandra on this one :( :( :(
Kate x

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think I agree @irnbru . I've done the daytrip from JoG and it was fantastic, wouldn't mind doing it again.
(On the other hand, well worth it if I decide to stay on Orkney for a wee while longer...)

Prices do vary though between operators/ ports - here's a sample I did for a 7m m/h with 2 adults, return prices:
https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry...fidr=121&_ga=1.262707397.835002682.1486632604

upload_2017-2-9_9-41-25.png

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
Nicole if I'm reading correctly that the ferry fare is £225 :eek: then I think I will have to give this a miss. I had no idea it would cost that much.

Costs are all adding up for Scotland meets and for that price I would rather wait until I had more time to explore the islands.
Don't know how the others feel but maybe a meet on the mainland might be an alternative depending on your numbers. Just my tuppence worth.
I'm with you I had no idea it would cost so much!

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Welcome to my world, expensive living on a rock although I do get a 30% islander discount from Northlink for being resident it still hurts :( with any luck they will come back to @PeterandNicole with the same offer for a group discount :)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
If it were out of season, either xulih or myself could have done you all friends and family discounts, but not in Summer, unfortunately. Hopefully you can negotiate a group discount - I know that other groups have done this in the past.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
For those wavering on whether or not to make that final short journey across 'The Firth' be mindful of the fact that its a long way to travel to the north of Scotland to then miss the opportunity to visit a place that is like no other place in the UK (or overseas without traveling very long distances).

Yes, it is expensive but set that aside and ask yourself if you can afford it. If you can, you should. Life can be full of missed opportunities.

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
For those wavering on whether or not to make that final short journey across 'The Firth' be mindful of the fact that its a long way to travel to the north of Scotland to then miss the opportunity to visit a place that is like no other place in the UK (or overseas without traveling very long distances).

Yes, it is expensive but set that aside and ask yourself if you can afford it. If you can, you should. Life can be full of missed opportunities.
Well said. I am wavering but after your comment I'm now more inclined to go :)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hello Peter, can you please remove Jen and I from the Orkney list as we have decided that another week and a few hundred pounds will be better spent on the rally in France !!
Visted Orkney a few times before so feel we are not missing out on anything !
We will / are still going the the rally in Wick and will see you there, cheers

OP
OP
PeterandNicole
Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Ok sorry for being away everyone, our internet and phone have been off for a month due to faults on the line. However after having looked at the prices it seems the cheapest return fare is going to be £172 for a 6m motorhome and two adults add to that 4 nights camping at £11 per night plus extra if you take a dog and more than 2 people I feel that the price is way too dear, having to bear in mind that it is peak season Peter and I have taken the decision not to go ahead with the meet. There are day trips from John O Groats and it is also very simple to go as a foot passenger and catch the buses on the other end for anyone wanting to go freestyle so to speak. So if anyone wants to do this we are more than happy to give advise and help with websites, phone numbers etc. along with places to stay. Hope everyone understands our decision making regards Nicole x

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
That's a shame, but it's something I hear time and time again. Have you considered going in early September instead? Then you could have the friends and family discount, so the ferry fare would be about £127 return for a 6m motorhome and two adults.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Quite understand - it is a steep price to pay, especially coming at the end of the other 4 rallies. We will probably make it into a day trip.

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
@PeterandNicole Thanks for you efforts and I agree about costs - it was more costly than I had anticipated when I put my name down.

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Thanks a lot for all the time and effort you have put in trying to get things sorted, we will probably do a day trip I think.
Thanks again.
Mew

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks PeterandNicole for trying to sort out what would have been a lovely place for a meet. However I understand the reasons for cancelling. The tourist board should make it more affordable for people to visit. It's a shame.
I, too will probably do a day trip as I'll be up there doing the NC500.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We will be day trippers too. :D2 Might even get a cheap bed for the night who knows.

I wouldn't have minded the cost had it been Orkney then Shetland. It would have made it more cost effective but not to go for a few days at that extortionate price on the back of 4 other scottish rallies. Unfortunately I for one don't have a bottomless money pit.

OP
OP
PeterandNicole
Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Thank you all for your understanding, we have been to Orkney cos it is just across the water from us but the price is ridiculous and yes an earlier meet would have been cheaper but when the other rallies are so close by we thought it would be handy for folk coming up but alas not to be. But hey ho such is life but i am sure we will all enjoy the other meets and we look forward to seeing and meeting those of you that come to those xx

May 19, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T30 hitop conversion
Exp
Since 2013
I had been monitoring to see whether I would be able to go on this trip, totally understand reasons for cancellation, think Orkney will be busy this year due to the great BBC TV programme with Neil Oliver and others about the archeology on the island.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back