LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
For anybody who hasn't been to Orkney - try watching Britains Ancient Capital: Secrets of Orkney on BBC 2 tonight at 7.30. It's part 1 of 3 programs about the history of the island, but also shows the stunning scenery there.
Well worth a watch - and a visit!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
A good nudge @triclops

I saw episode 1 last Monday, I thought it was a very good programme.
Especially when you can keep saying "Been there!"
Which makes it all the more impressive that all the bits I'd seen were on a ONE DAY ferry & coach trip (Maxi Tour). http://www.jogferry.co.uk/Tours.aspx
I do plan to do a longer trip, taking the van.

Must remember episode 2 this coming Monday!

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Jeff and I went in the early 80's for a weekend motorcycle rally. Amazing place and awesome scenery. We knew nothing about Orkney (pre-computer searches) and spent one day following the info from the Tourist Information.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We caught the end of the programme when it was on earlier in the week. Thanks for the heads up as we will now watch it all.

I love Orkney.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We saw the program as well and has got us thinking of visiting some Scottish islands. Islay was on my list, nothing's to do with whiskey tasting. Haha

hate to be picky but ,Scotch Whisky does not have an E in it,thats how the Irish spell it :whistle::)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
hate to be picky but ,Scotch Whisky does not have an E in it,thats how the Irish spell it :whistle::)
Nt sure what your issue is. He said, absolutely correctly: "Islay was on my list, nothing's to do with whiskey tasting." Let's face it, it would be nothing to do with whiskey tasting (but might have everything to do with whisky tasting). :D

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Brilliant program , right up our street. We are looking forward to the next two.
The Orkneys are on our to do list. Thanks for the heads up.:notworthy2:

Those pyramid mound type buildings were just like the ones Ralph and I went to on our NC500 trip. And from the same Neolithic era, amazingly 5000 years ago.
A lot of people skip , well drive without stopping the East Coast bit. Don't , there's lots of what we find anyway, very interesting things to see.
The Grey Cairns of Camster
Here's our visit to them on our mhf blog of the NC500
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/north-coast-500-with-whisky-detour.138281/page-7

Wiki info
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We love the Orkneys, and if you catch the weather right they can be perfect. Skara Brae is worth a visit as is the Tomb of the Eagles. You can hire a boat and with an underwater camera see the hulls of the scuttled German fleet. We're heading to The Shetland in June.

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
I wanted to go to Orkney after reading the Magnus Magnusson book about Vikings where he relates that the axe owned by Gauk Trandilsson (as mentioned in the famous Njal’s Icelandic Saga) was, a couple of hundred years later, used to carve a crude rhyme in runic letters inside Maeshowe.

My Orkney and Outer Hebrides page has a pile of useful weblinks plus GPS downloads in .gpx format with over 280 waypoints and several suggested routes.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/shetland-orkney-hebrides-northern-scotland-77073

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
What are the facilities for motorhomes and the roads like on Orkney and what are the ferry costs like?
Never tried the islands but the Memsahib really fancies trying them this year.

Richard.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
What are the facilities for motorhomes and the roads like on Orkney and what are the ferry costs like?
Never tried the islands but the Memsahib really fancies trying them this year.

Richard.
We've been several times, there is a good campsite at Stromness with electric, we like a little CL at Evie which has hook up and stunning views. The roads are narrow but well maintained with passing places. NorthLink ferries go from Aberdeen or Scrabster, we've travelled both and it really depends on how much driving you want to do as Scrabster is right at the top of Scotland. Don't forget that Skye is free to get too over the bridge.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We've been several times, there is a good campsite at Stromness with electric, we like a little CL at Evie which has hook up and stunning views. The roads are narrow but well maintained with passing places. NorthLink ferries go from Aberdeen or Scrabster, we've travelled both and it really depends on how much driving you want to do as Scrabster is right at the top of Scotland. Don't forget that Skye is free to get too over the bridge.
Thanks for that @Foxy1956
We hope to go right up to JOG on our next trip. I know it's all a bit touristy and the campsite there is a little tatty but the views and sunsets are just amazing.
Went over to Skye on our last trip about three years ago and loved it, so will be going there too.

Richard.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Better get it done Soon. They are after going independence!. Go it alone, Not even the "wee Jimmy Krankie" saw that coming!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...brexit-independence-uk-scotland-a7506281.html
thats old stuff,theres been a break away from Scotland group in the Orkneys since the 1980,s ,this is a fine example of political manipulation ,to claim that this is new,is nothing other than an extension of the misinformation that was put out by both sides in the Brexit campaign

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The Orkneys are fascinating and well worth visiting ... anyone going, make sure not to miss the Italian Chapel.
Has it been restored? - it was vandalised a year or two ago

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Brilliant program , right up our street. We are looking forward to the next two.
The Orkneys are on our to do list. Thanks for the heads up.:notworthy2:

Those pyramid mound type buildings were just like the ones Ralph and I went to on our NC500 trip. And from the same Neolithic era, amazingly 5000 years ago.
A lot of people skip , well drive without stopping the East Coast bit. Don't , there's lots of what we find anyway, very interesting things to see.
The Grey Cairns of Camster
Here's our visit to them on our mhf blog of the NC500
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/north-coast-500-with-whisky-detour.138281/page-7

Wiki info
Broken Link Removed
we love all of that old neolithic stuff too ,theres a lot of it in Scotland,have you guys been to Kilmartin? thats worth a visit, the Island of Arran has many standing stones as well,we visited the caallanish stones last september and were shocked to witness the lack of respect shown by some tourists towards ancient monuments

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Has it been restored? - it was vandalised a year or two ago
I hadn't heard about it being damaged so it could have happened after our visit .... what the hell is it that these morons just have to desecrate evereything.:mad:

EDIT Just checked and we were there June 2014

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I hadn't heard about it being damaged so it could have happened after our visit .... what the hell is it that these morons just have to desecrate evereything.:mad:

EDIT Just checked and we were there June 2014
I just googled it, it wasn't as bad as I thought & stolen panels have been replaced (not the originals though which haven't been found)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-31834896

It's a remarkable place, one of so many in & on the Orkney.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It's gratifying to see that approximately half of the people discussing Orkney are able to refer to it by its correct name.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the 'Channels' as I've never been there, nor the 'Westerns' come to think about it!
;)

Ian

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
thats old stuff,theres been a break away from Scotland group in the Orkneys since the 1980,s ,this is a fine example of political manipulation ,to claim that this is new,is nothing other than an extension of the misinformation that was put out by both sides in the Brexit campaign

Well, lets face it?. would anyone want to be associated with wee Jimmy?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back