Orkney/ Shetland (1 Viewer)

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Has anyone been here with their MH. Is it all wild camping or are there any sites?

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Best site you will ever find, in Orkney, Pickaquoy Leisure Centre. Not sure about Shetland

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PilgrimPhil

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
Shetland trip

There is a thread on trips to Shetland in the UK Touring section - Second page back from memory.

We spent two + weeks on Shetland in May 2009 and had a wonderful time. We did a mix of campsite and wild camping [see the view from our wildcamping spot at St. Ninians Island in this months Practical Motorhome - Hot Shot winner!].

Wild camping is OK with the usual provisos about not blocking areas, leaving a mess etc

If i can help, please PM me.

PilgrimPhil [aka Phil Robinson]

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We visited Shetland last year, without the van as my wife has family there. We are going back this year, with the van this time. I saw plenty of places to wild camp and saw at least three good campsites, Clickimin, Braewick and Skeld. Our intention is to stay with the family for a couple of days then head off for a few days stopping wherever.

The roads are very good, albeit some are single track, only noticed one pothole in a weeks driving round.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
sue1959

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Found the thread in uk touring thanks.
Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Been to both (orkney twice) There are campsites on both but IMO its a shame to use them when they are such great wild camping places, totally legal and very safe. The weather is always crap but you could be lucky. If you get a chance get the ferry on Shetland to Yell and then the ferry to Unst. What a magical place and the ferries are really cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back