Original vehicle paperwork or not ... (1 Viewer)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Gang, can you tell me what the concensus of opinion is, as to whether its better to take the original logbook etc or copies while travelling in Europe.

The inherent risk of loss could be outweighed by the likelyhood of never needing to show originals to anyone.

So what do you do, Originals or Copies, or maybe you should have both?:RollEyes:

Thanks in advance for your valued advice,

Regards Richard

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could have both. but you must have the originals ,keep them in a safe place show copies if asked but dont try going away with only copies. course you could get a duplicate from dvla. say you lost yours or something. cheers alan.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You have to take them as you might need to show them if requested.

Take a photocopy of all the documents for your car, licence,mot, insurance, passports,dogs passport if you take a dog, etc. If stopped by the roadside show a copy of the document. I would only show the origionals at a police station.you can also download a copy of all docs to a usb stick. hide the origional documents well somewhere in your vehicle.

Sorry alan any documents to replace supposed lost docs from the dvla become the origional as they have a different prefix number on them and the old origional document becomes invalid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We always make sure we have as near perfect copies as possible for all our travel documents - also scan them as Pdf's on the computer so if necessary they can be printed out or emailed. We always carry our passports on us and keep copies to hand and a copy locked away securely in the car and the van - we have aways shown copies when requested for docs (except passports) - at the Swiss border once the guard disappear with our docs for over half and hour - would have worried if he had the originals - have never had them queried as copies but would never consider going without the original to hand if necessary

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know but the police who ask for them cant check if the number is correct . i,v seen passports used like it as well they still work even when swiped at borders . its only a game we all play. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back