Organ donation cards (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have signed an UK organ donation card.

I wonder how much legal effect they have in other countries?

Does one need to sign an 'International' one?

I also wonder who is responsible for taking the decision to act upon them? Is it the doctor signing the death certificate?

But who searches the belongings/wallet/car/motorhome for the card?

Do first responders have any role/responsibility in this? Maybe 'ambulancekidd or Mrs. can answer that bit, please

Geoff

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I thought that nowadays you were automatically a donor unless you have opted out

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
If you look into the criteria for hospitals to accept organs for transplant it's not as simple as you would expect and pretty much unless you die on a preplanned day as organised by the transplant team they can't use any of your bits.
And as for trying to donate blood I think mine must be as common as muck because I have to book up about 4 months in advance and the last appointment I had got cancelled

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you look into the criteria for hospitals to accept organs for transplant it's not as simple as you would expect and pretty much unless you die on a preplanned day as organised by the transplant team they can't use any of your bits.
And as for trying to donate blood I think mine must be as common as muck because I have to book up about 4 months in advance and the last appointment I had got cancelled
It’s more for trauma ( accident victims) who arrive in A&E then pronounced dead and in-patients. Not really for people in pass away in their own home. The Hospital staff on realising your on your way out will start the ball rolling to get theatre ready for harvesting, whilst that is being prepared they can put the body on drips and pumps to keep thinks flowing etc.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Don't think there is much in me or hanging off me that would be of any use to anyone.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the criteria for donation tissue being required depends on the organ being harvested. I suspect every country would have their own rules on donation I've never heard of an international register. As someone else has said in the UK now the presumption is that unless you have opted out you are in favour of donation I think the sensible thing is to make that clear to your nearest and dearest to make it a quick decision if necessary. It's a difficult area but I can't understand people wanting to have their relatives body burnt or rot rather than being used to help somebody else in really bad health.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Even if you have said you want to donate and it is recorded in the UK organ donor register , if your family objects then organ donation will not go ahead. This is why it is so important to have these discussions early when you are all in relatively good health.

Consent is assumed if you are not on the register but if you have a family their opinions will be asked and if they say no it will not go ahead.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't think there is much in me or hanging off me that would be of any use to anyone.
You'd be surprised, they can use a load of donated bits nowadays not just the main organs ... it's getting a bit like in the past where people would 'eat' all of the pig except the squeal!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Corneas don’t need to come from a ‘live’ donor.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I had to have my father sign my first card as I was under 16, his face on asking was a picture, I had asked my mother and she said I think your father should do it.
To me it was no big deal, if I can't use them someone else can, my daughter asked even younger if she could do it she came home one day from school and announced that she would want her 'bits used to help someone'

Luckily the conversation has never had to be put into process but her wishes would have been followed no matter how old.

In my late teenage years I watched an elderly man transform into a vibrant healthy 30something after a kidney transplant.
The change in him was amazing. He turned from grey to pink overnight, when he was out walking the smile that radiated from him every time you asked how he was is something that sadly the donor's family would never witness

He also made sure that he took care of his gift until you see it it is very hard to understand the difference a donor makes to a life. :sun:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back